Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impressive new compression driver from Peerless

http://www.parts-express.com/peerles...-ohm--264-1420

That is a heck of a smooth response and crazy cheap price. Should be easy as pie to cross over with that well damped impedance profile (though it's obviously measured on an exponential horn)

Wow, do you think they're using some crazy smoothing on that or something because that is a very nice response? It would seem almost too good to be true at that price.

Comment

Coated diaphragm and polyimide surround- lots of damping. Definitely intended for a home hifi audience more than pro.

Comment

I may have missed. How did they achieve that response? Is there a horn bolted on pre-test? Just trying to understand it a little better since it looks too good to be true.
        Facebook Page - Ocean State Acoustics

Comment

definitely tested on an exponential horn, it's clearly a directional response not a plane wave, but that doesn't invalidate the response smoothness, it'll just be "lumpier" on a CD lens- more damping at the top and bottom ends.

Comment

I'm not familiar with horns so I don't get it. I see a 6dB drop from 1-2Khz to 10Kz and not much use after that. The high sensitivity is nice but watts/power at home is relatively cheap, no?. For tube amp aficionados?

Comment

Horns need shaping in the crossover (or EQ), so "flat" isn't assumed the way it is with a dome. The key thing is that there are not major response peaks (dips are a minor issue relatively, not desirable, but not painful). The efficiency means that the driver will not only operate on tiny wattage, it will also have exceptionally low thermal limits (most domes wouldn't handle 15WRMS) and low compression accordingly.

Comment

Oh, that is very nice. Where was that driver when I was looking to upgrade my Blastoramas? Steupps.....
                Brian Steele
                www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Originally posted by badman View Post
                  definitely tested on an exponential horn, it's clearly a directional response not a plane wave, but that doesn't invalidate the response smoothness, it'll just be "lumpier" on a CD lens- more damping at the top and bottom ends.
                  Thanks. I was not trying to invalidate at all. I have not done enough studying on horns to make reasonable calls. It seemed to be expodenital, but was not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by badman View Post
                    Horns need shaping in the crossover (or EQ), so "flat" isn't assumed the way it is with a dome. The key thing is that there are not major response peaks (dips are a minor issue relatively, not desirable, but not painful). The efficiency means that the driver will not only operate on tiny wattage, it will also have exceptionally low thermal limits (most domes wouldn't handle 15WRMS) and low compression accordingly.
                    Ahh ... so this is good response out to ~17Khz and lingers on up? By "low thermal limits (most Domes wouldn't handle 15WRMS)" you mean its good at heat dissipating heat?

Comment

I am always bothered when manufacturer's fail to list their measurement conditions/setup. I'm bothered a lot, obviously.
                      Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)
                      Sites: Jupiter Audioworks - Flicker Stream - FRD Consortium Archive - Proud Member of Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Good find Jeff! Looking at the response, I don't see why it couldn't be crossed at 1KHz. Am I missing something?
                        Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
                        ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
                        LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
                        Sonata Soundbar Project
                        The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

Originally posted by JasonP View Post
                          I am always bothered when manufacturer's fail to list their measurement conditions/setup. I'm bothered a lot, obviously.
                          Me as well....You think they would want to sell that horn with it! You can tell its not overly smoothed by the little squiggle to the line. If it was the line would look much "flatter". I trust Tymphany, they are pretty good...I would be willing to believe the sheet.

Comment

Originally posted by hongrn View Post
                            Good find Jeff! Looking at the response, I don't see why it couldn't be crossed at 1KHz. Am I missing something?
                            I'm no expert, but I believe it's due to the ~4db drop at 1500hz, but who knows for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam_G View Post
                              I'm no expert, but I believe it's due to the ~4db drop at 1500hz, but who knows for sure.
                              It depends on the horn or WG it's being used in.
                              "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X