No announcement yet.

Impressive new compression driver from Peerless

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting measurement- might be diffraction from the edge. I'll have to do some testing but don't hold your breath. Acoustic foam "lips" around the waveguide edge may well alleviate the issue.

Comment

• Would it make sense to use this CD with a screw-on adapter with the Eminence Beta 10CX coaxial driver?

Comment

• Originally posted by gworrel View Post
        Would it make sense to use this CD with a screw-on adapter with the Eminence Beta 10CX coaxial driver?
        It would- particularly since the eminence coaxes will require a relatively high XO point and are really somewhere between "tweeter" and "supertweeter", the nice top end on the peerless ought to be a good fit, with a relatively high high-pass (necessary since eminence coaxes have that little baby horn)

Comment

• Originally posted by badman View Post
          It would- particularly since the eminence coaxes will require a relatively high XO point and are really somewhere between "tweeter" and "supertweeter", the nice top end on the peerless ought to be a good fit, with a relatively high high-pass (necessary since eminence coaxes have that little baby horn)
          My main concern was that the extra spacing added by the adapter might screw up the response to the point that it would make more sense to use a different CD. I built some surround speakers using a Beta 10CX and the Eminence psd2013s-8 using a crossover designed by Matt Grant. Now I want to make some Atmos speakers and would like to substitute this CD and try my hand at coming up with a new crossover. I spent most of last weekend playing around with xsim to the point that I learned enough to be dangerous.

Comment

• Originally posted by gworrel View Post

My main concern was that the extra spacing added by the adapter might screw up the response to the point that it would make more sense to use a different CD. I built some surround speakers using a Beta 10CX and the Eminence psd2013s-8 using a crossover designed by Matt Grant. Now I want to make some Atmos speakers and would like to substitute this CD and try my hand at coming up with a new crossover. I spent most of last weekend playing around with xsim to the point that I learned enough to be dangerous.
            So, the extra spacing does play a role- thinking about it, I think you'll have enough added clearance from the back plate voicecoil "bump" to allow the screwheads room to seat, but there will definitely be some figuring out to do. I'd say, order the adapters first and see how well it fits the assembly, and if you'll be able to cleanly mount the adapter/driver. From an acoustic standpoint, I don't think it's an issue, it'll be a very similar pathlength to a native screw-on driver overall, it shouldn't make much difference.

Coaxes and horns are challenging for XO work- make sure you cross it high and steep enough or you'll have an unloaded CD playing below where it should (distortion, even possible damage at high level if the filter isn't steep enough)

Comment

So, the extra spacing does play a role- thinking about it, I think you'll have enough added clearance from the back plate voicecoil "bump" to allow the screwheads room to seat, but there will definitely be some figuring out to do. I'd say, order the adapters first and see how well it fits the assembly, and if you'll be able to cleanly mount the adapter/driver. From an acoustic standpoint, I don't think it's an issue, it'll be a very similar pathlength to a native screw-on driver overall, it shouldn't make much difference.

Coaxes and horns are challenging for XO work- make sure you cross it high and steep enough or you'll have an unloaded CD playing below where it should (distortion, even possible damage at high level if the filter isn't steep enough)

I have Matt's crossover to use as a starting point. I also was using EarlK's FRD files and crossover examples and matching it up with the 10CX in xsim. I assume that I will have to measure this CD in the 10Cx and start from there for the new design. I will probably also build a pair of speakers using the PRV WG35-25-B for rear surrounds. Just have to decide on the woofer

Comment

• The JBL 2206h can often be found used quite affordably and is a heck of a choice for such an application- can go high, is clean, nice balance of box size/extension/sensitivity.

Comment

The JBL 2206h can often be found used quite affordably and is a heck of a choice for such an application- can go high, is clean, nice balance of box size/extension/sensitivity.
                  What's a good price to pay for one? Funny, I saw a pair from the UK for $250 usd with $111 shipping and thought , well if not for the shipping. Then I saw a pair from Oregon and the shipping was over $100. Surprising how cheap international shipping can sometimes be. Seems like $100-125 each including shipping would be good. Which Eminence would be a good match? I've seen recommendations for the Deltalite 2512 and the Kappalite 3012LF.

Comment

Working...
                  X