dB Desktop CBT Array

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dB Desktop CBT Array

I would like to show a desktop array at the fest in July and am looking for a DIY builder to provide the cabinets. The name of the project is in honor of Don (DB) Keele who has graciously provided information for executing the design. If anyone here would like to help please PM or email. I know this is a late notice but the cabinet will be small and fairly straightforward to build.

Send me a PM with the details Rick. I owe you one and would like an opportunity to make it up to you.
    My "No-Name" CC Speaker
    Kerry's "Silverbacks"
    Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
    The Archers
    Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
    The Gandalf's

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post
      Send me a PM with the details Rick. I owe you one and would like an opportunity to make it up to you.
      Great - I will send the details via PM.

Comment

Hey Rick,

Two versions to pick from here, let me know which way you like better. Both pictures have a side view and an isometric view of the same model. The first pic should be what you were asking for based on the sketch. The only difference in the second version is it starts the bottom driver perpendicular to the desk and then stacks them at 22.5 degree increments. Once you get back with me I will get started on modeling the enclosures.

Version 1

Click image for larger version

Name:	version 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1282732

Version 2

Name:	Version 2.jpg
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	1282733

I may have to increase the first version on the length and height. It looks a little to close on the proximity of the back of the driver to the bottom and back of the enclosure. I plan on chamfering the backs of the openings to help also. The basket on the driver is not as big as I modeled it, but until I have one in hand all I can do is guess, so I guessed big to be safe.

I will probably also give you a couple of options on the enclosure to pick from once you let me know which driver orientation you like.

Take care,
        Kevin

My "No-Name" CC Speaker
        Kerry's "Silverbacks"
        The Archers
        The Gandalf's

Comment

Great work! #1 is what I'll need. If you need to increase the depth a little to make clearance for the top driver that's fine. For the bottom driver the location near the ground plane is important so keeping it like the drawing is best. If the rear basket clearance on the bottom panel becomes an issue we can discuss that.

Comment

Hey Rick,

The current model is 7.125" tall and 7.125" deep. At 3.5" wide, internal volume is 1.14 liters, built from 1/2" stock. Probably around 1 liter VB after subtracting the drivers. Can you live with that or should I increase the width and/or depth of the enclosure?
            My "No-Name" CC Speaker
            Kerry's "Silverbacks"
            The Archers
            The Gandalf's

Comment

Rick,

Here is the first attempt at the enclosure model. Still the same outside dimensions as stated in the previous post. The binding post plates are just stacked one on top of the other and recessed into the enclosure. If you would prefer they be separated, we can surface mount them on different centers. The enclosure has 45 degree chamfers applied all the way around the drivers. If you are not a fan of chamfers, than we can look at either no edge treatments or round-overs. If we go the round-over route, than Veneer is obviously out of the question and we would either have to paint the enclosures or build them from hardwood lumber. I am not opposed to building them from a domestic or exotic hardwood, it might even be easier than MDF/Veneer on this enclosure. I have a couple of lumber suppliers within driving distance or there is the possibility of ordering it online. If you would like to see the same enclosure with round-overs instead of chamfers, I can post that tomorrow night. Let me know your thoughts. Sorry for the picture quality, it's just a "Print Screen" photo off the laptop.

Name:	MODEL 1.jpg
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	1283153

My "No-Name" CC Speaker
              Kerry's "Silverbacks"
              The Archers
              The Gandalf's

Comment

That looks very interesting. A very approachable, intro to CBT arrays.

Are the crossovers and details going to be made public?
                - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center
                CJD In-Khan-Neatos - A Dayton RS180/RS150/RS28 In/On Wall MTW

Comment

Originally posted by ---k--- View Post
                  That looks very interesting. A very approachable, intro to CBT arrays.

Are the crossovers and details going to be made public?
                  There's no crossover unless someone wants to add a subwoofer. The details will be made public provided that these can be played at the show. I just read the fine print today which excludes entries from anyone in the business, which includes me. If we can enter them under Kevin's name it would be good - I'm not wanting to take a prize away from a DIY entrant. I do think it would be nice to see Kevin recognized for his work and show the versatility of the CBT concept.

Comment

Rick,

Here is the first attempt at the enclosure model. Still the same outside dimensions as stated in the previous post. The binding post plates are just stacked one on top of the other and recessed into the enclosure. If you would prefer they be separated, we can surface mount them on different centers. The enclosure has 45 degree chamfers applied all the way around the drivers. If you are not a fan of chamfers, than we can look at either no edge treatments or round-overs. If we go the round-over route, than Veneer is obviously out of the question and we would either have to paint the enclosures or build them from hardwood lumber. I am not opposed to building them from a domestic or exotic hardwood, it might even be easier than MDF/Veneer on this enclosure. I have a couple of lumber suppliers within driving distance or there is the possibility of ordering it online. If you would like to see the same enclosure with round-overs instead of chamfers, I can post that tomorrow night. Let me know your thoughts. Sorry for the picture quality, it's just a "Print Screen" photo off the laptop.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n1283153[/ATTACH]

Looks good as is - I like the chamfer. MDF with Duratex is fine with me unless you prefer to add veneer. I need someone like you to do a CBT center channel rendering for a project I'm working on.

Comment

Maybe I can help you out on the center channel Rick, but right now I don't know how much time I would have to put towards it until after MWAF. Two projects in the next 6 weeks is already going to be a challenge, doable, but not a lot of time left for anything else. In this same 6 week period I will also be attempting to learn how to use my new Omni Mic and take measurements.
                      My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                      Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                      The Archers
                      The Gandalf's

Comment

Rick,

I've looked at the driver you sent a little harder this evening. Still studying this and looking for ways around it but I don't think we can give the drivers enough breathing room if they are surface mounted. Due to the angles of the baffles, there's not much room to cut a chamfered relief in the rear of the baffle without cutting into the next baffle and essentially wiping out any material left between them.

Would you object to rear mounted drivers? Have not modeled it yet, but believe it will only affect length and height slightly. If we go this route, the sidewalls will probably have to be removable in order to mount the drivers. Let me know your thoughts.
                        My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                        Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                        The Archers
                        The Gandalf's

Comment

You could front mount on 2 faceting arcs rather than the full baffle, and place a bead of sealant between the drivers from the rear, or inset a dowel at the faceted edges of each driver mount.

That might get you what you need.
                          Later,
                          Wolf
                          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Rick,

I've looked at the driver you sent a little harder this evening. Still studying this and looking for ways around it but I don't think we can give the drivers enough breathing room if they are surface mounted. Due to the angles of the baffles, there's not much room to cut a chamfered relief in the rear of the baffle without cutting into the next baffle and essentially wiping out any material left between them.

Would you object to rear mounted drivers? Have not modeled it yet, but believe it will only affect length and height slightly. If we go this route, the sidewalls will probably have to be removable in order to mount the drivers. Let me know your thoughts.
                            I wouldn't mind rear mounting the drivers but even with removable side panels I think access might be difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                              You could front mount on 2 faceting arcs rather than the full baffle, and place a bead of sealant between the drivers from the rear, or inset a dowel at the faceted edges of each driver mount.

That might get you what you need.
                              Later,
                              Wolf
                              Thanks for the suggestion Ben. Was tired last night and didn't have a very open mind. When I awoke this morning the possibility of using a 30 degree chamfer instead of a 45 degree came to mind. That might work and I will take a look at that tonight.
                              My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                              Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                              The Archers
                              The Gandalf's

Comment

Working...
                              X