• Show
Clear All

• MWAF 2016: Music selections are up!

http://midwestaudiofest.com/speakerd...ompetition.php

Time to buckle down!
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Hmm interesting choices. Not sure what I'm bringing...
    John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

When you click on "See Registered Participants" the heading says: Registered Participants For 2015 Midwest Audiofest Speaker Design Competition

2015???
      A mains
      The Ventures
      Open Invit8tions
      RSR
      Sound Troopers
      Acorns
      DGBG's
      The Monuments

Comment

If that's the title, it's a typo because when I click on it and view the list, I know it's for 2016 since I was the first one to register.
        Paul

Originally posted by 6thplanet View Post
        When you click on "See Registered Participants" the heading says: Registered Participants For 2015 Midwest Audiofest Speaker Design Competition

2015???

Comment

It's fixed
          A mains
          The Ventures
          Open Invit8tions
          RSR
          Sound Troopers
          Acorns
          DGBG's
          The Monuments

Comment

Question - can i have a WIP crossover held together with gator jumpers or it needs to be packed and attached inside or outside the box in a pretty foolproof way so it doesn't fall off? the speakers will be finished, the crossver is not, and i am not sure i want to solder it yet.... it might be solder ready by the event, but right now it is not...

Also, what is the typical SPL level the music selections will be played at and how far off the back/side walls and sieze of room and room treatments? Is it a fairly damped room or pretty bare high ceiling with a lot of reflections?

Comment

Ani there are a bunch of pics and videos on line that will give you an idea of the room. Maybe Wolf will recall but I thought the SPL level was around 80ish at the judges table, about 2 meters. The room seemed pretty neutral to me.
              John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by ani_101 View Post
                Question - can i have a WIP crossover held together with gator jumpers or it needs to be packed and attached inside or outside the box in a pretty foolproof way so it doesn't fall off? the speakers will be finished, the crossver is not, and i am not sure i want to solder it yet.... it might be solder ready by the event, but right now it is not...
                If you look at how the speakers are judged the first two criteria are Craftsmanship (visual) and Originality / Design (visual). Your going to want them to look as good as they can.

Ron
                C-Note Iron Driver Build
                The Lydias
                The Cherry π's
                The Champs - Iron Driver 2015 Entry
                My Projects Page

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil deGrasse Tyson
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjuGCJJUGsg

Comment

Makes sense, I'll finish the speakers and figure something for the crossovers!

Comment

Can anyone explain this statement from the contest page?

Parts Express and Dayton Audio cannot be responsible for lost or stolen speakers however, every measure will be taken to protect your speakers from damage or theft.

Entries will be returned to the owner by providing the speaker project's tag entry ticket.

When do you leave your entry with them and when do you get them back?

Ron
                    C-Note Iron Driver Build
                    The Lydias
                    The Cherry π's
                    The Champs - Iron Driver 2015 Entry
                    My Projects Page

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil deGrasse Tyson
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjuGCJJUGsg

Comment

From the site (emphasis mine):

"Commercial entries or entities are prohibited: Individuals or entities that sell finished speakers (part time, full time, or any time) are excluded from registration. Should it be determined that you are in the commercial sales of finished speakers your entry will be removed. Please contact us should you require further explanation or clarification."

I believe this should warrant a serious look at how it is worded. I have sold speakers, indeed - many of us have. Possibly even for profit. While I am in full agreement in keeping DIY all DIY, what ramifications does a rule like that have for a non-commercial someone submitting, say, a design by someone else who also does paid design work? How about people who pay others to design something original? How about people who perform or have performed consultancies with commercial audio companies? I can think of a dozen or so people off the top of my head who are in direct violation of this rule (myself included - I have sold some commissioned studio monitors for profit), and I am 100% certain I am not the only one. Seems a slippery slope and a rule ripe for abuse, whether intentional or not. I suggest dropping that rule completely or modifying to demand that any and all designs entered are fully open source with no revenue generated from the design going back to the designer. I prefer to drop it completely as I have heard hundreds of pairs of speakers - DIY'ers don't have anything to worry about with commercial guys in the fray.

Music choices are quite a bit better this year, but three minutes is still kind of silly.

Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Rich detailed that out one year. He said if you basically make all your money via speakers you aren't eligible.

I agree though that I would not have been eligible either under the rules as worded.

Later,
                        Wolf
                        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                          Rich detailed that out one year. He said if you basically make all your money via speakers you aren't eligible.

I agree though that I would not have been eligible either under the rules as worded.

Later,
                          Wolf
                          You guys are clearly not eligible! I wonder how many other people wanted to enter, but saw that the rules prohibited it. Even if the rule is changed today, they will be at a disadvantage.

Comment

I, like many other that enter speakers into MWAF, have sold "finished speakers" that we built as DIYers but are hardly "in the commercial sales of finished speakers". I have never made a profit from the 7 or 8 pairs of speakers I've sold over the last 10-15 years, and I sure wouldn't want to have tried to live on those sales. And, even if I had made a little profit on some of those sales, the rules, as Rich has explained to me personally, would not prohibit me from participating at MWAF. I don't interpret the rules as rigidly as Wolf (and others) are stating here. In fact, I do believe when Rich got up in front of the MWAF attendees a 2 or 3 years ago to address this issue, he said that in order to be prohibited, one would have to make something like at least 1/2 of their annual income selling speakers commercially.
                            Paul

Originally posted by rpb View Post
                            You guys are clearly not eligible! I wonder how many other people wanted to enter, but saw that the rules prohibited it. Even if the rule is changed today, they will be at a disadvantage.

Comment

Then it is obvious the rules need clarification, but having organized more than one thing in my life - sometimes you leave strict rules in place and let your friends slide in order to be able to use those rules against naughty people or people outside the clique.

Will Rich be asking for our income statements if someone claims someone else's income is derived at least 50% from selling speakers? I am being deliberately obstinate on this because, as it is written - I am not allowed to participate (I will not be anyways - long drive for this cowboy). I do not believe rules that define exclusion should be as ambiguous as this one appears to be.

But - since it is no skin off'n my teeth, it appears that the existing system has been working just fine.
                              Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Working...
                              X