Translam Desktops: My MWAF Entry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Translam Desktops: My MWAF Entry

This will be my first year to enter something at MWAF. Hope it doesn't turn out to be a complete disaster. There is no grand illusion of winning anything. There will be plenty of other guys there that are way more talented and seasoned then I. Just want to participate and hopefully gain some knowledge. I have a Center channel speaker project in the works also but have put it on hold and moved to these in order to finish in time for MWAF.

Wish I could take credit for the original design, but it's already out there and being marketed. When first I saw this, the immediate thought was "that would make a cool looking desktop speaker". The speakers are the "Davone Rithm's".

Click image for larger version

Name:	davone_rithm.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	1283739Beautiful huh, and the speaker isn't bad looking either.

Name:	davone2.jpg
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	1283740

My guess is it is a coaxial speaker. You can see it is ported out the bottom in the second photo. I didn't want my speakers to be a complete knock off, so I've made some changes, hopefully enough to be able to call it my own. The above speaker is 27.5" tall, 23" deep, and 8.5" wide. Mine is a wee bit smaller.

Driver choice ended up being the RS100P-4 and AMT Mini-8. Yes, I like the "Air Motion" technology and hope this doesn't end up haunting me in the end. The RS100P is almost capable of full range so I won't need to cross the Mini to low. Here is a screen shot of the new model.

Name:	THE ARCHERS.jpg
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1283741

And here is screenshot with the speaker cut in half.

Name:	THE ARCHERS CUTAWAY.jpg
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	1283742

Ok, to go over some of the changes. First, it's not coaxial. Second, it's about 6 times smaller. Third, it is a slotted port and the port exit is out the rear instead of the front. And last but not least, the left and right walls are tilted at 10 degrees which I think added a lot of character to the speakers. Hopefully this is enough changes to be viewed somewhat original.

The yellowish portion will be the plywood translams. The orange will most likely be a hardwood. Leaning towards Mahogany but might look at some exotic stuff like Bubinga, gonna have to make that decision this week and get the material coming.

The next post will cover some of the enclosure modeling and will include some of the progress photos. For now, I'm going to call these "The Archers". A simple name from a simple minded guy. Stay tuned.

Last edited by Kevin K.; 05-31-2016, 06:59 AM.
    My "No-Name" CC Speaker
    Kerry's "Silverbacks"
    Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
    The Archers
    Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
    The Gandalf's

Stumbled across one of Mr. Bagby's write ups about box tuning and decided to follow his suggestions. The RS100P is not going to produce prodigious amounts of bass, so in order to make the driver sound a little larger then it is, the enclosure is not tuned flat. I settled on 2.5 liters with a port tuning in the high 70's. 78 to be exact. Hopefully, I got the enclosure modeling right. The slotted port is equivalent to a 1.375 round port. Length worked out to almost 7 inches with one flared end. If all goes as planned, the should yield an F3 around 70. The combination does not lend itself to a lot of power before over excursion. These are only intended to be near field speakers, so I am thinking they will be fine. Here is the bassbox simulation.

Name:	BassBox results.jpg
Size:	394.4 KB
ID:	1283745

Now on to the build pics: First shot is one group of the translams prior to glueing and clamping.

Name:	20160522_234552.jpg
Size:	340.9 KB
ID:	1283746

Picked up a 36" piece of 1/8" steel at Home Depot and cut it into 2" pieces. While creating the CNC program for these I added index holes for keeping the parts aligned during the gluing process. Only glued two or three at a time, just didn't feel like I had enough time to spread the glue on any more. Here is a pic with the clamps and pins.

Name:	20160528_234354.jpg
Size:	316.1 KB
ID:	1283747

And here is a shot of a larger group glued together with a pretty good view of the port.

Name:	20160528_234148.jpg
Size:	392.8 KB
ID:	1283748

More in the next post.

My "No-Name" CC Speaker
    Kerry's "Silverbacks"
    The Archers
    The Gandalf's

Comment

If anyone ever tells you translams are a cakewalk, they're pulling your leg. Fairly sure these are going to take about a gallon of sanding sealer and no telling how much lacquer to get them smooth as a babies **** and did I mention tons of sanding. The following pics are right after making the 10 degree cuts on the sides. Haven't done any patching yet. Not a whole lot of voids to deal with but as luck would have it, one of them just happens to be going thru one of the woofer chamfers. Will continue to work on sealing these up and getting them smooth this week. Maybe by next weekend I will have some pics of the sidewalls. Will update as I make progress.

Name:	20160530_044730.jpg
Size:	376.4 KB
ID:	1283751

Name:	20160530_044750.jpg
Size:	327.3 KB
ID:	1283752
      My "No-Name" CC Speaker
      Kerry's "Silverbacks"
      The Archers
      The Gandalf's

Comment

wow!

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
        "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
        SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
        My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Yikes! That's amazing.

Kevin, I worked in the newspaper/advertising business for 17 years or so, and the axiom we went by was "if you change something by a 'third' it's yours." And one major difference is that theirs is clearly designed to be furniture, where yours is not.

Those are going to be stunning!
          *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
          *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

That's a great design!

I especially like the port

Comment

Very cool!
              "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Wow very impressive! Looking forward to seeing more!

Comment

How well did the slices align with the use of the indexing pins? I've always loved the translam look, and want to do such a build one of these days.

Comment

Also, how did you make the 10 degree cut after gluing? This is looking pretty good already....

Also the driver holes, are cut by hand or CNC? Post gluing?

Comment

Those are going to be fabulous looking. I think you're going to ship these to the event but can't come yourself? Will you be having an equally gorgeous lady demo them?
                      Paul

Comment

That is a Davone Rithm photo from the Denmark located audio company. So I suspect that Paul would pay for the Danish model to attend the RMAF. But he isn't likely funding Kevin's trip to Dayton though.

Comment

Thanks for all the positive comments guys!! Here are answers to some of your questions.

Rhodesj: The pins worked great. I would not recommend doing a translam without them. I removed the pins each time after gluing several together, but I suppose you could also just cut pins from wooden dowels and leave them permanently. Good luck with your future translam build.

Ani: I made the 10 degree cuts on a 14" bandsaw. And then took them over to a 20" disc sander to clean up the cuts. Yes, the driver holes were cut on the CNC post gluing. I just had to make a quick fixture to hold the speakers in place so I could make the cuts.

Paul K.: I am shipping these to a buddy on the forum, Tom Zarbo. He has offered to bring them for me, but I might have a difficult time getting them back from him, he likes them a lot. I will be attending and bringing my 13 year old son. This will be his first flight and he is pretty excited about that part of the trip already. I wish I could make arrangements with the gorgeous lady in the photo to demo mine, but something tells me she is not having any trouble getting work. I do believe if I were attending a sale with her there, she could sell me anything, price would be no object.
                          My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                          Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                          The Archers
                          The Gandalf's

Comment

Yes yes, very cool design you have there!
                            A mains
                            The Ventures
                            Open Invit8tions
                            RSR
                            Sound Troopers
                            Acorns
                            DGBG's
                            The Monuments

Comment

Those are absolutely incredible!
                              Projects:

transcenD: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...5035-transcend
                              Summits: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...75-The-Summits
                              References: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-My-References
                              Vintage Style 2-way: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-vintage-2-way

Comment

Working...
                              X