No announcement yet.

3D printed waveguides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is the cross section drawing from the patent of the ring shaped membrane, similar to the TW29RN:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	US08479872-20130709-D00001.png
Views:	106
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	1355015

Comment

• Originally posted by natehansen66 View Post
      What's the deal with the PE forum? Fine from tapatalk but on my PC it's super slow and puts weird characters in my posts when I hit enter.
      Which browser do you use and are you on Mac or Windows? You may try cleaning you (browser) cache or check if there's an update available.
      In Chrome you go to: Settings > About Chrome

Comment

• Originally posted by TN Allen View Post

Looks rough.
        I wonder how long it required for printing, and what will be used for drivers. No doubt 3D printing will improve and print times be reduced, and perhaps someday wood cell printing will be available. Until then, I think I continue to mill and turn wood baffles.
        It looks rough, but these were probably printed with a large diameter nozzle (printhead), otherwise printing one piece would take days. These baffles are massive : 18" Waveguide and 15" woofer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ro808 View Post

It looks rough, but these were probably printed with a large diameter nozzle (printhead), otherwise printing one piece would take days. These baffles are massive : 18" Waveguide and 15" woofer.
          I suspect it took days anyway. Not very practical, though an interesting project. A guide I printed a month or so ago, at high density, required 13 hours. It was only 8" dia. X 2" deep X .2" thickness. Even though the printer has a heated compartment, and is considerably more capable than a desk top printer, the finish, though uniform, was still rough, and to my mind unattractive. The surface can be improved by sanding, I did this on a previous guide, but even sanded, that guide surface hadn't the appeal of a guide milled into a solid wood baffle. To be honest, guides printed in white filament remind me of an old characterization of early fiberglass boat hulls looking like frozen snot on the interior surfaces.

Comment

• This is an interesting read on the comparison of waveguide contours, by a guy who has the same name as me ;-)

Google translate is your friend.

Comment

• Originally posted by TN Allen View Post

I suspect it took days anyway. Not very practical, though an interesting project. A guide I printed a month or so ago, at high density, required 13 hours. It was only 8" dia. X 2" deep X .2" thickness. Even though the printer has a heated compartment, and is considerably more capable than a desk top printer, the finish, though uniform, was still rough, and to my mind unattractive. The surface can be improved by sanding, I did this on a previous guide, but even sanded, that guide surface hadn't the appeal of a guide milled into a solid wood baffle. To be honest, guides printed in white filament remind me of an old characterization of early fiberglass boat hulls looking like frozen snot on the interior surfaces.
              At least from the pictures, the white waveguides Brandon had printed look smooth enough to be confused with molded ones. Besides, white has a high WAF
              For a batch of identical wg's that require a topnotch finish, I would definitely choose CNC over 3D printing.

Comment

• I think this thread - started by Gaga - is a MUST read.

Here's a teaser post :

"Very good thread, I read with great interest.

Years ago I also simulated a waveguide with AxiDriver. It was about a waveguide for one of the smaller Tymphany-HT without front panel.
                If I remember correctly, it might have been the small 19mm ring radiator.
                Unfortunately, all the information about it in the data nirvana disappeared, I once had the contour data for AxiDriver and even a Sketchup model.

At that time, I had planned the waveguide oval, since in this way the lobes seen above appear to be edge reflections over a wider area, but narrower.
                I simulated this by simulating the contours for AxiDriver horizontally and vertically separately. To what extent this corresponded to reality, unfortunately I could not find out, and unfortunately I did not work with ABEC.

But I can remember that the waveguide looked good in the simulation. The waveguide basically consisted of three straight sections in each plane. The most important was the middle, because this determines (as you can see above) the beam angle in the working area.
                Based on that, I have next formed the area near the membrane. Here I experimented with different opening angles and depths until the result at the upper frequency end looked good. The neck area is heavily dependent on the membrane geometry, here there are most problems with the coupling. I mean, I can remember that the opening angle of the neck should correspond approximately to the angle at which the sound waves exit, that is, the higher the dome, the wider the angle. For this reason, and because of their greater bundling in the treble range (the HT does not "see" the horn anymore), the Vifa / Tymphany ring emitters for waveguides were often recommended. I see that in your simulations you always simulate with a flat membrane.

The rest of the Waveguide I've always attached fittingly and at the same opening angle to the neck, and as far as I can remember, I then experimented with the depth, until again was satisfied. But you should make sure that the transition from the first to the second segment is not too abrupt. It was also an edge for me, but the angle was not too big.

The last segment serves to form the transition between middle segment and baffle. This one can round it all off, I had just decided on another straight piece, I think that went pretty well. I think I just assumed that I would replace the original edge angle with two half angles. In this case, the final width of the WG results from the depth of the last segment.

Summary for my waveguide recipe (no guarantee, only from memory):
                1. Define the beam angle
                2. Simulate selected HT in a single funnel (lower limit frequency depending on the surface, and therefore on the depth at a given angle)
                3. Optimize the neck (angle and depth)
                4. Attach the neck to the funnel
                5. Optimize the mouth area (angle and depth)
                6. If necessary round edges."

Reply from Gaga to this post:

"I want to expand further on your 'instructions' and make them the basis for a kind of list for the development of WGs with criteria, influence of design features, target conflicts etc."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ro808 View Post

At least from the pictures, the white waveguides Brandon had printed look smooth enough to be confused with molded ones. Besides, white has a high WAF
                  For a batch of identical wg's that require a topnotch finish, I would definitely choose CNC over 3D printing.

Do you have that Excel file from this post: http://www.diy-hifi-forum.eu/forum/s...2&postcount=6? I'd rather not register with the site just to download it. Some of the contours close to mine had similar-ish responses, would be interesting to get my hands on it and see what I can come up with.
                  ~Brandon 8O
                  Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                  Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                  DriverVault
                  Soma Sonus

Comment

• Here it is.

Comment

• Thank you!
                      ~Brandon 8O
                      DriverVault
                      Soma Sonus

Comment

• Little bit of progress while I'm remodeling the house! Printer just delivered 5" and 8" waveguides for SB19ST, SB26ADC, TW29RN, and my beloved Transducer Labs N26:

And to give you an idea of the work that goes into the faceplate interface:

~Brandon 8O
                        DriverVault
                        Soma Sonus

Comment

• I have a few 3d printer which i use for specif8c port sizes i want
                          Just another hobbyiest.

Comment

• That looks amazing! Can't wait to hear more about them.

Comment

• Those are looking great!

Comment

• Going to try to get a window to take some measurements this week. I hope to never have to remodel a house ever again!
                                ~Brandon 8O
                                DriverVault
                                Soma Sonus

Comment

Working...
                                X