RS28F vs RS28A and other higher priced tweeters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS28F vs RS28A and other higher priced tweeters

I was wondering if the performance of the metal dome RS28F is competitive with that of other more expensive (brand name) tweeters. I think I remember reading somewhere in this forum that some people believe the metal dome is more "tame" than the soft dome version. My recollection from years ago of metal domes is they sounded horrible, Im sure they have gotten much better. I am currently using a SB29 which is very sweet, but I like to experiment. Thoughts?

Both of the RS28 tweeters compare very well to drivers costing much more. The F has a rising top end response while the A is a bit flatter. Some prefer the Fs top end while to others it has a bit of a "sizzle" comparatively. I can agree on that point. But the top end is a benefit if it is to loaded into a waveguide as it will flatten out the top while the A will droop.
    Personally, I prefer the F, but either is very good. JMHO.
    https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

both versions were Usher's very good attempts to make a design copying the Scan SS9x00 series and honestly, did very, very well. The engineering and workmanship of the motors is well known. there are small differences in the sound of the metal and fabric versions but either can be tamed in the crossover. Unlike, say a metal cone midwoofer, metal domes don't take that much effort to tame. If the metal dome strikes your fancy, try it.

Besides everyone knows a black metal dome is just smooooother...;)
      audioheuristics isn't around right now...

Comment

Nice to see you post Mark.

Having used both the F and A myself I must say that I definitely prefer the sound of A over F. Words fail most of the time but here is my attempt to explain why. The F is just a bit too polite by comparison. I used both of them in waveguides with the same woofer crossed at the same frequency and slope. The A seemed to present more grit when called for yet still sounded very natural. Both exhibited very nice response in the guide with no issues in how the top octave was presented. The latest version of A in guide can be seen via the link to the 8" 2-way in my signature. The A does very well to beyond 15KHz before the natural droop sets in.
        R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
        Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
        "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

I also prefer the A over the F, and it's a standard hard to beat at its price point. While there are more expensive tweeters I like more, the RS28A is no slouch by comparison.

Later,
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Nice to see you post Mark.

Having used both the F and A myself I must say that I definitely prefer the sound of A over F. Words fail most of the time but here is my attempt to explain why. The F is just a bit too polite by comparison. I used both of them in waveguides with the same woofer crossed at the same frequency and slope. The A seemed to present more grit when called for yet still sounded very natural. Both exhibited very nice response in the guide with no issues in how the top octave was presented. The latest version of A in guide can be seen via the link to the 8" 2-way in my signature. The A does very well to beyond 15KHz before the natural droop sets in.
            ^^This..... I agree completely. Ride cymbals just sound more real in their timbre on the A than they they do on the F. The A is my preference as well.
            Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

The Silk version is listed as having ferofluid, where the aluminum version does not.
              Could that be part of the reason for the preference in the sound of the aluminum over the silk?
              ...or is that information even accurate?

TomZ
              *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
              *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

To me the Fr response of the metal dome looks a bit smoother, I would expect it to be more "polite" It would be interesting to hear these compared to my Sb29.

Comment

YMMV! But while I was working on my ArielZ, I started with the F version and was never satisfied with the design because I always heard this cloud of undefinable grit/grain that hung out in the front of the stereo image, right in the center, about 1/2 as wide as the image. Ben pointed out something that reduce that cloud to near nothing. Near, but not quite nothing. On the advice of several other A/F users, I swapped to the A, remeasured, built the new network specifically for the A and I haven't looked back.

That said, I'm currently working a newer design using the 28F (same pair as before) with a different woofer and so far the cloud of grit hasn't reappeared in this system.

Comment

Working...
                  X