New Speaker Project: 'The Buyout Blues'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Speaker Project: 'The Buyout Blues'

A few weeks before this year's MWAF I went through all my speaker stuff and noticed that I had a lot of speakers. I got great deals on all of them, so I'm not having buyers remorse, but I told myself once I get a little better at measuring/designing crossovers, I'd make some speakers out of some of this stuff. Well the time has come.

The cabinet is about 1.4 cu. ft. with a .3 cu. ft sub-enclosure for the MTM section with the blue poly mid-woofs.

The box on the right is actually two "L" shaped sub-enclosures sharing the same clamps. They will become the sub-enclosure for the MTM section.

There will be one 10" woofer per speaker. I have four of the blue mid-basses and a few of the tweeters, which I know are probably not the greatest things since sliced bread... but they're part of the buyout theme, so they're getting used.

Cool thing is I got these drivers at various tent sales from the past 4-5 years.

10" woofs were $4/ea. Blue mid-woofs were $2.50 ea., tweets probably $1/ea. So I'll have a grand total of about $20 total in drivers in this pair.

The woofers didn't want ported, so they will be sealed with just over 1 cu. ft of volume to work with. The system will have an F3 of 41 Hz., F6: 35 Hz, F10: 28 Hz. I guessed on some of the specs, but I figured on 50 watts power handling for the woofers and 5-6 mm. of Xmax. They don't look too bad, decent sized rubber surround, attractive cone, decent magnet. I'm glad I found these in 2011!

I may end up putting a metal grill on these and taking them to school to put in my classroom. I ran out of Gorilla glue, so I can't go any further today, but at least I've got all the panels cut out. Tomorrow I'll get some poly glue and start assembly. 45 degree miters on the top, straight butt joints on the bottom. The front and back will just set inside the cabinet and sit flush. Probably no walnut veneer for these. :( Too expensive for school, probably just paint. Maybe I'll try duratex or cover with charcoal fabric, that stuff is pretty durable.

This will by far be the cheapest (in drivers) pair of speakers I've ever built; I think my wife will like that.
    TomZ
    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

I love doing buyout builds. They are a lot of fun and you will get the highest bang for the buck that way. Cool project, following.

Comment

Looks like fun! The little mid is cool looking, never seen a driver that color before. How many projects do you have in the works right now? 3? 4? Kudos man, keep em coming.

You're worried about using up your buyouts while Eileen is probably having anxiety attacks about what she will have to rearrange to make room for your next build. You can only use the excuse "they make great end tables" so many times.
      My "No-Name" CC Speaker
      Kerry's "Silverbacks"
      Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
      The Archers
      Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
      The Gandalf's

Comment

I think I have four projects Going on right now. This project wasn't even a thought in my mind this morning when I woke up. I just started measuring some drivers with the DATS and the next thing you know I'm working on this. I'm weird, sometimes I really feel like cutting some wood, other times I just like to sit at the computer and do some designs. Tonight after dinner I felt like laying out some crossovers, so I glued and zip tied all the components for the encores. Kind of goofy, but I guess it all gets done eventually. Yeah Eileen's face look kind of funny when I told her how big these things were going to be, when I told her I might take them to school she looked relieved. I just hope they don't sound too good or they might stay.
        TomZ
        *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
        *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Looks like an interesting build. What kind of sensitivity are you measuring for those woofers?

Comment

A most appropriate and excellent name!

Comment

Yea, I love the name. Your enthusiasm makes me want to build something with some of the 'buyout' or just unused and as yet unloved drivers I have lying around. . .

Comment

I'm guessing this is the mid:

http://www.parts-express.com/bravox-...2-ohm--299-062

I've had a few in the 6.5" variety, and from what I remember they were a pretty good little mid.

Comment

Nice build. Any idea what woofers those are? Zaph tested some of those blue drivers, towards the bottom of the page: http://www.zaphaudio.com/blog.html They look like nice drivers, I had them in my cart but never pulled the trigger.

Comment

Subadubadubbed, looks like a good start!

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                    return to the source
                    leviathan system thread
                    deadhorse thread
                    shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

10", let me guess? Qts in the low 0.60s, Vas around 2.5cf, and Fs in the low 30s?

Comment

Originally posted by chrisn View Post
                        Nice build. Any idea what woofers those are? Zaph tested some of those blue drivers, towards the bottom of the page: http://www.zaphaudio.com/blog.html They look like nice drivers, I had them in my cart but never pulled the trigger.
                        They look the same, but the model number on my drivers is 1S as opposed to Zaph's which is 2S. I don't know if that means anything at all.

SPLEclipse: They look the same, but the ones you link to are the same as Zaph's which say 2S at the end of the model number, mine are 1S. Specs are a bit different, FS is a lot higher for example, but these have never been played, so that may account for most of the difference. I usually play my drivers before DATS-ing them, but not this time.

Here is a link for the tweeters: http://www.parts-express.com/nuance-...eeter--279-060

Nuance, just like the 10" woofers. Not the cream of the crop, but they fit the theme. As long as they aren't awful or require a lot more parts to play nice than they're worth, they're getting used.

The woofers look like these Nuance units: http://www.parts-express.com/nuance-...2-ohm--299-083
                        Except mine say they are 8 ohm versions on the rear stamp.

Let's see, for the 10" woofers DATS says: Qts: 1.2, Vas 68 Liters (2.4 cu. ft.), [Added mass method] FS 35 Hz., SPL 84.97 1W/1m, R(e) 7.74 Ohms I haven't broken these in any either.

Truthfully, I'm not expecting a whole lot out of this since I'm not applying the same logical thought that you would apply to picking drivers for a speaker you were working on from scratch; I just want to get some more practice measuring, manipulating files, and designing a crossover for these... probably quite a few. I'm really in learning mode lately, just using these as a science kit at this point. I may end up learning a lot about why certain drivers don't work well together... Oh well, all learning is good.

Thanks for the interest, these should go together fairly well, box-wise at least.

TomZ

Comment

There were 6 and 12 ohm versions of the blue Bravox driver. I used the 6 ohm in a project I called "Datum" several years ago. Pretty smooth, almost zero breakup. Nice to see it showing up again!

The tweeter uses the same element but smaller horn than the model I used a few times. Cross around 5K you should be just fine. Sweet project, Tom.
                          Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Maybe a blue hue stain for the finish (although that may only come in waterbase).

Comment

With a Q of 1.2 I'd defiantly throw it in a quick Hframe set up an see what it does.
                              A mains
                              The Ventures
                              Open Invit8tions
                              RSR
                              Sound Troopers
                              Acorns
                              DGBG's
                              The Monuments

Comment

Working...
                              X