New Speaker Project: 'The Buyout Blues'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
    There were 6 and 12 ohm versions of the blue Bravox driver. I used the 6 ohm in a project I called "Datum" several years ago. Pretty smooth, almost zero breakup. Nice to see it showing up again!

The tweeter uses the same element but smaller horn than the model I used a few times. Cross around 5K you should be just fine. Sweet project, Tom.
    I suspected you might like it if you happened to see it.

TomZ
    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

I managed to get a little done on these yesterday and today without killing myself; barely.

I cut out openings for the large woofer so I could lift and position that panel as I was clamping things up. I didn't cut the full circle, but a truncated circle to leave a little more meat when clamping. But... when I glued up the panels, I managed to get the one with the cut-out in the back instead of the front. I dry-fit things up, but somehow managed to goof it up anyway.

So, the fix...

Glue the blank back in, (it was snug when turned around the other way, thankfully) and make a mixture of gorilla glue and MDF sawdust. Smoosh it in all gaps and cracks with a metal putty knife. Put a sheet of wax paper over it and clamp it with a scrap of wood.

It made kind of a super-lightweight wood putty that acted a little like foam, but sanded like wood. Pretty cool I think. It expanded a lot and is everywhere in every crack. Not as good as not screwing it up in the first place, but hey, I Yam what I Yam.

Now I have to mix up a little more to fill in the slightly depressed area. I'll do the same thing to that 1/16" to 1/8" gap and see how it does. I tried to peel it up at the edge and it didn't want to flake up.

Anyway, that was speaker box #1

Speaker box #2 was a different story.

I ended up mitering the top of these boxes and just using b.u.t.t. joints on the bottom, I've done it before with no issues, but not this time. Everything was fighting me. I dropped 3 panels on the basement floor trying to glue this thing up, got Gorilla glue all over me and the floor, and had to stop and sweep some sawdust all over the floor so I didn't glue my sneakers to the basement.

Then as I was clamping the bottom of the box, I went to stand up and dug the end of one of the clamps into my forehead... blood everywhere. I didn't stop, though, Gorilla glue sets up fast you know.

I eventually got the second box clamped up and took it out of the clamps today, drilled the tweeter recess with a Forstner bit, straight cuts for the mid-woofs and woofers. Thought I was out of the woods, but to my surprise when I put the drivers in the box and pressed on the woofer cone, the two blue mid-woofs moved out. Dangbopitall !!!

Check this out:

I don't know if you can see it in the pic, but I somehow managed to forget to glue the 1/2" sub enclosure to the top of the cabinet. How? Gosh, I don't know. Luckily the gap was pretty big (between 1/16 and 1/8) and I put a thick bead of glue in the crack and let it run down through the crack, then gooped it up with some sawdust. It's sealed up now, but that would have been a bugger to figure out later on... you know, I've got a pretty nice accurate table saw, and when you use poly glue which expands, there really isn't a need to caulk the insides of cabinets like I used to 3-4 years ago.

About the gash, I was at Urgent Care less than 2 months ago getting my arm stitched up and I didn't want to visit again so soon, so I just threw a butterfly bandage on this one and it seems to be holding. I'm usually very careful and it's pretty rare that I get hurt at all when I'm working in the workshop.

Both times I attribute it to rushing and moving too fast. I was lucky, this gash was about 2 inches from my eye. I love talking like a pirate, but I really don't want to have to wear an eye-patch anytime soon, so I thank God I didn't give myself an 'eyeballectomy'

Yes, I'm staying out of the wood-shop for a few days.

TomZ
      *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
      *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Wow Tom thanks for the honesty, I think we've all had days like that, I recently glued the baffles onto a cabinet inside out so I had to fill the holes and re-router the driver recesses! I let that one sit for a week while I cooked off, couldn't even look at it the first few days after =) Glad you're ok, merely a flesh wound! Javad
        --
        Javad Shadzi
        Bay Area, CA

2-Channel Stereo system in the works with Adcom components and 4-way towers

Comment

We all make mistakes, true skill is how you fix or disguise them. I recently nailed the feet on a cabinet, unfortunately I had turned it right side up..

Comment

I know I'm not the only one making mistakes, but I sure seem to be making more than my fair share lately!

Drivers installed and testing underway:

They are not the prettiest looking speakers I've ever worked on, that's for sure, but I'm hoping they end up working out.

A few things I can tell already, just from listening to a little music and the sweeps:

The woofers need plenty of power to be heard, but they are pretty smooth sounding.
            The midwoofs are not shouty even with no filter at all, that's good news.
            The tweeters are almost super tweeters, I only hear about less than half of the chirp... not bad sounding though considering the price tag.

Here's a pic of the tweeter response just for fun:

Fun time!

TomZ

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
              I know I'm not the only one making mistakes, but I sure seem to be making more than my fair share lately!
              TomZ
              Is not the mistakes that would concern me. It's the gashes that are worrisome.

In the end, I'll bet they'll look good when your done. Maybe not as good as your speakers gracing PE's home page, but good

Comment

Reality sometimes provides the opportunity to showcase one's ingenuity. After all, the most interesting golf shots are not made from the fairway. I did the same once, filled in a driver cutout - due to a change in plans - and without the benefit of the plug. Different thicknesses, too.

That said, this is one reason I've moved to rabbeted joints over the censored kind. Rabbeting router bits are cheap, I only cut one side of the joint, and only need Titebond family adhesives (water-soluble). I also use 1/2" rabbet with 12mm Baltic birch-style ply, so there's a 0.5mm overhang I can clean up with the router using a a flush trim bit, or use a roundover or bevel bit to hide the joint line.

Arrange the rabbets right and you get panels that only fit together one way. Add a pin gun and clamps are optional, or at least you won't have to juggle to get everything clamped.

Have fun,
                Frank

Comment

Drivers installed and testing underway:

Hmm... I thought you were going to put the MTM on one of the narrow faces...

Brian Steele
                  www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post
                    Hmm... I thought you were going to put the MTM on one of the narrow faces...
                    With the woofer on the side panel? Yeah, it may have looked better that way. I'll have to see what I can do to spruce these up a bit.

TomZ

Comment

With the woofer on the side panel? Yeah, it may have looked better that way. I'll have to see what I can do to spruce these up a bit.

TomZ

JMHO, but I think wider looks much better than a skinny cabinet with a side firing woofer. The way it is right now, it is a good manly looking speaker. Skinny speakers tend to be weenie looking, unless they are an array etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post
                        Looks like fun! The little mid is cool looking, never seen a driver that color before. How many projects do you have in the works right now? 3? 4? Kudos man, keep em coming.

You're worried about using up your buyouts while Eileen is probably having anxiety attacks about what she will have to rearrange to make room for your next build. You can only use the excuse "they make great end tables" so many times.
                        I was only using the end table comment as a joke earlier in this thread. But then you go and post a project that confirms you have used that excuse before, I knew it. Do the drinks rattle off the tables during movies? Another cool project in the Zarbo Library of Speakers. The 3" round overs give it a modern look and they do indeed look like they belong beside the couch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	surrontop_zpsf2921485.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	1294020

My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                        Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                        Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
                        The Archers
                        Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
                        The Gandalf's

Comment

Lore has it that the CEO/Chairman of Fedders built his beach front shore house in Mantoloking to look like an air conditioner.

Should Elieen be worried?

Comment

Man, you caught me!
                            Thanks for the kind words.

Eileen likes these a lot, they look like furniture more than they look like speakers to her. I bet I could even turn the speaker in to face the couch and she would like them just as much, I wouldn't but she would be fine with it I bet. The other one is on the opposite side of the room under the wall-mounted CD rack.
                            The granite makes these things. The large roundover helps a lot, but the top is what really does it, the granite is so beautiful. Eileen wants our kitchen counters made out of the same stuff one day.

There's a 1/2" piece of MDF under the granite, and a 3/4" piece under that which is braced. That's 2 1/2" of material total, so the top is 100% dead even during massive cone excursions, can't feel a thing.

I don't think these 'buyout blues' are going to look as good as these subs, but we'll see.

TomZ

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post
                              Lore has it that the CEO/Chairman of Fedders built his beach front shore house in Mantoloking to look like an air conditioner.

Should Elieen be worried?
                              Yes, Eileen should be very worried. Her husband has an addiction and needs help urgently! Where is the nearest "Speaker Builder Anonymous" meeting? Sign me up as well please.
                              My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                              Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                              Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
                              The Archers
                              Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
                              The Gandalf's

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post
                                Where is the nearest "Speaker Builder Anonymous" meeting?
                                I thought they changed their name to AA - Audio Aholics.

Comment

Working...
                                X