The Baronettes Speaker Build Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Baronettes Speaker Build Thread

After doing a bunch of my "own" DIY builds, I wanted to try out a few proven DIY designs out there.

One, I'd like to learn from some of the best in the community and two, use these builds as a sort of reference against some of the designs I've done. I'll be doing two simultaneously and one will be the Baronettes by DanP.

These came highly recommended by a few people at MWAF who had heard them and to me they represented a classic 2-way speaker with great balance and uncolored sound. Also Dan felt there was quite a bit of "magic" in the way these came together and that sounded great to me =)

I really like Morel tweeters so I'm anxious to use one again, and I've always wanted to try the Dynavox woofers, these things are pure ***! (How babies are made!)

One curveball was the Dynavox woofer, Ben used the LW6004PMR but it's out of stock everywhere and availability was uncertain (PE claims they'll be in stock mid Aug). The newer LW6004PMR-N is in stock at another Dynavox supplier but haddifferent specs lists from the factory.

After asking around some suspected the two woofers were the same except for the frame/basket assembly. I decided to take a chance and ordered the newer style. I ran them through Dats and sent the file to Dan and he confirmed both woofers measure identically, good news! And they're much cheaper and frankly more professionally manufactured (though the old style does look cool too in a steampunk sort of way =) )

I'll be departing slightly from the original design and doing a much larger floor stander, approx 1.3 cubic feet tuned to about 50hz, but I will be keeping baffle width the same as well as driver spacing to the top of the baffle.

I am going to continue my CLD experimentation on this enclosure using Sorbothane, I chose not to use this with my Fatboys as I didn't have time to figure out a good mounting solution for the baffle, but I think I have it figured out now and am looking forward to trying this out.

I'm going to use a hardwood baffle and likely Birch ply for the rest of the enclosure. I have all parts in hand and will be assembling XO this weekend and start cutting wood next weekend, I'll be posting updates here!

Thanks! Javad
    Last edited by JavadS; 07-31-2016, 08:30 PM.
    --
    Javad Shadzi
    Bay Area, CA

2-Channel Stereo system in the works with Adcom components and 4-way towers

Man, that's a beautiful woofer!

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
    "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
    SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
    My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

I don't know why I'm mentioned above, if you mean me. This is definitely Dan's project.
      Later,
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
        I don't know why I'm mentioned above, if you mean me. This is definitely Dan's project.
        Later,
        Wolf
        Hah, wow got my brain crossed up, corrected
        --
        Javad Shadzi
        Bay Area, CA

Comment

One project commences and another starts! Cleaned out the shop today from the Stance build and on to the Baronettes!

Finalized cut list and have all material on hand. Enclosure will be 3/4" Aruco ply (as I have a sheet of it here), and front baffle will be solid 3/4" Poplar, I have a full 7' long purple piece that is stunning.

The front baffle will be two pieces, the piece drivers are mounted to will be CLD. The enclosure will be black (I think) with exception of the front baffle, I may give Duratex a try we'll see.

Spent a minute and assembled the XO today as well.

Thanks! Javad
          --
          Javad Shadzi
          Bay Area, CA

Comment

Those Dynavox units are really nice and smooth sounding, classic poly cone. I'm enjoying them a lot now with my Monuments.
            A mains
            The Ventures
            Open Invit8tions
            RSR
            Sound Troopers
            Acorns
            DGBG's
            The Monuments

Comment

Originally posted by 6thplanet
              Those Dynavox units are really nice and smooth sounding, classic poly cone. I'm enjoying them a lot now with my Monuments.
              Thanks, enjoyed seeing them at MWAF as well. Thanks Javad
              --
              Javad Shadzi
              Bay Area, CA

Comment

Heard these are fort Wayne they were top notch.
                My Build Thread's
                Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

Originally posted by JavadS View Post
                  After asking around some suspected the two woofers were the same except for the frame/basket assembly. I decided to take a chance and ordered the newer style. I ran them through Dats and sent the file to Dan and he confirmed both woofers measure identically, good news! And they're much cheaper and frankly more professionally manufactured (though the old style does look cool too in a steampunk sort of way =) )
                  What "file"did you send over to Dan? And did you measure the driver? Keep us posted with your "cld" experiment. Good luck with your build.

Comment

Originally posted by raiderone View Post

What "file"did you send over to Dan? And did you measure the driver? Keep us posted with your "cld" experiment. Good luck with your build.
                    Dats t/s measurement text file,and thanks, stay tuned!

Javad
                    --
                    Javad Shadzi
                    Bay Area, CA

Comment

Man, you don't waste any time. Sheesh.
                      The Hurricanes
                      The Baronettes
                      Conneccentric
                      UX3

Comment

Originally posted by DanP
                        Man, you don't waste any time. Sheesh.
                        Haha no not at all! Stole about 45 minutes before bed and got the sides and backs cut from Aruco, will glue them up in the morning after the kids go to school and before I head out to work =)
                        --
                        Javad Shadzi
                        Bay Area, CA

Comment

Got the sides and bottom glued up this morning
                          --
                          Javad Shadzi
                          Bay Area, CA

Comment

Where did you get the little red blocks Javad?
                            My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                            Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                            Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
                            The Archers
                            Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
                            The Gandalf's

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post
                              Where did you get the little red blocks Javad?
                              Kevin they are AMAZING, I'll never go back, I was able to assemble the above perfectly square in less than 10 minutes for both. See http://www.woodcraft.com/product/153...lamps-2pc.aspx , you can find them cheaper elsewhere online, I bought an 8-pack which has really come in handy.

Only trick to them, when you tighten them they pull one of the boards back slightly, but a quick tap with a deadblow hammer gets everything back and tight again, and they do keep things perfectly square.

Enjoy!
                              Javad
                              --
                              Javad Shadzi
                              Bay Area, CA

Comment

Working...
                              X