Designs for PS95-8?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Designs for PS95-8?

Hey gang, I need to order a couple things from PE and the shipping is more than the gear. I've only seen one somewhat completed design that didn't really seem to make the designer happy.

JR was kind enough to bestow these up on me and I'd like to put them to use at work in my bunk at the fire station.

Thanks for any leads.....
    Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Scott Sehiln and Shawn_K have both used it.
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Thanks wolf! I was hoping for a full range or two way use.... Maybe even a t-line like the old 871 needles....
      Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

I have a small two way design with the PS95 and AMT Mini 8 that isn't published yet. It's not as small as the Helium (maybe twice the volume), but has similar extension. I can throw together a quick writeup if that is a direction you want to go.
        Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

Sounds great! Take your time Scott, but I shall be eagerly awaiting....

Comment

I'm just completing a build with the PS95's in a TABAQ. So far, they sound great as long as they're against a wall. I'm going to try them with BSC, but haven't done so yet. They took a couple of hours to break-in, but so far, so good.
            Mike

http://www.audioxpress.com/article/T...d-Quarter-Wave
            "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
            Bismarck, North Dakota
            My Current System: Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, and Carmody Sunflowers
            My Garage System:Marantz 2238B and Nano-Neos

Comment

PS95 looks like an excellent driver, there should be more builds using it.
              "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
              exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

The sensitivity really is the down point. Everything else about it looks good.
                Later,
                Wolf
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                  The sensitivity really is the down point. Everything else about it looks good.
                  Later,
                  Wolf
                  Says the guy who was recently seen drooling over a 84dB 15" subwoofer ;)

The sensitivity of the PS95 is about right for something of its size and impedance (compare with Vifa TC9), though it'd be nice if there was a 4 ohm version. Match it up with an 88dBish woofer and cross over above the baffle step.
                  "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with

Comment

If you mean the UCW Peerless, then it will take an awful lot more drive power than the PS95 will to compensate. The PS95 will not take 200W or more to make it up. And to retract just a bit- I thought the PS95 was only 83dB sensitive. It turns out the sensitivity is higher than I recalled spec'd at 85.56dB. Even if you use this driver above BSC, which depends on baffle width of course, you might still get a bit of droop in output above the bump. If you use it alone with BSC, and freestanding, it will be a speaker with less than 80dB sensitivity.

There is of course another method of tuning the vented box with boost to compensate, which can be beneficial in terms with a little widebander and not have to cut the level to compensate. This can work well.

As I'm writing this- I checked the pdf, and it is closer to 83dB from 100-4k with a few wiggles, and that's the majority of its range. Most of TB's units are in the 86-87dB range and require half the power for the same output which is thermally less taxing to a 3" driver.

Later,
                    Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Relevant:
                      http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-...e-drivers.html

Comment

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
                        Sounds great! Take your time Scott, but I shall be eagerly awaiting....

I hooked them up and gave a listen last night. I think they are a viable project. Less impact than the Heliums, but a little more refined. I haven't taken full measurements, but have individual driver measurements and simulated response based on that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Zproto xsim graph.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	1294599Click image for larger version

Name:	Zproto xsim fr.jpg
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	1294600Click image for larger version

Name:	Zproto xsim imp.jpg
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1294601

I still need to get box details. What I do know is that it's about 0.1 cu. ft. tuned to 80 Hz.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

That looks great Scott! Do you plan on fiddling a bit more with the crossover or leaving it as is?

Comment

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
                            That looks great Scott! Do you plan on fiddling a bit more with the crossover or leaving it as is?
                            At this point, I am planning to leave them as-is. I have gone through several variations, and these sound the most balanced. I don't think I can improve them much without throwing several more crossover parts into the mix - and even then, the improvement would be marginal.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

Scott, Mike, do you think I can combine the two? Put Scott's two way work into the TABAQ?

Comment

Working...
                              X