No announcement yet.

Midwest Audiofest 2017 Countdown...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The pressure is on, repainting for the 4th time...
    John H

SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Whoo boy! I have no idea what level of "finished" I will be when the time comes to leave. Guess I'll bring whatever I happen to have finished for show and tell!
      Voxel Down Firing with Dayton SA70
      Translam Subwoofers - The Jedi Mind Tricks

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
        The pressure is on, repainting for the 4th time...
        John, you have more perseverance than I do. I gave up after 3 complete repaints. After Iowa, I'm going on a veneering binge and redoing all my listening room speakers. I'll take a hit from the MWAF judges if they look too closely. From 5' they're nice and shiny.

Jim

Comment

I've switched to water based 100% Acrylic paint. It's been challenging to get it to lay down flat and dry hard.

I still don't have your patience for black lacquer
          John H

SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

I'm pretty sure all of us know where all of the oops mistakes are, but the judges will likely never notice them (at least I hope they don't notice my mistakes).
            Paul
            Originally posted by Jim Holtz View Post

John, you have more perseverance than I do. I gave up after 3 complete repaints. After Iowa, I'm going on a veneering binge and redoing all my listening room speakers. I'll take a hit from the MWAF judges if they look too closely. From 5' they're nice and shiny.

Jim

Comment

You know one side of me is bummed I won't have anything entered this year. But man is it so much less stressful without the time crunch, just going to make myself a shopping list and sit and listen..

Good luck to those of you getting things done, excited to see what you bring.

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
                I've switched to water based 100% Acrylic paint. It's been challenging to get it to lay down flat and dry hard.

I still don't have your patience for black lacquer
                Hi John,

I switched to waterborne finishes over a decade ago so I could spray in my basement work shop. Once the MDF is cut and routed, winter isn't a problem for assembly and finishing. My all time favorite finish is Crystalac (now available through Amazon) which can be sprayed or brushed and some products from Target Coatings. They have a waterborne shellac that doesn't have the problems with crazing etc. but still pops the grain and works well as a barrier coat.

The problem I was having was with the 1/8" MDF cap I always use to hide butt joints wanted to lift and react to the top coats. This was before I discovered Target's shellac. So, after 3 complete paint jobs using both Crystalac and Target waterborne lacquer, it laid down but I ended up with some blushing and micro bubbles in the finish. They look good in dim light and acceptable in normal light but they'll get veneer this fall after the Iowa DIY.

For straight topcoats, Crystalac is my 1st choice. It's super easy to use, lays down very smooth, doesn't require sanding between coats and is extremely durable.

I enjoy finishing but not when I have problems like these. I'm just not experienced enough to correct problems when I spray without a lot of frustration.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                  I'm pretty sure all of us know where all of the oops mistakes are, but the judges will likely never notice them (at least I hope they don't notice my mistakes).
                  Paul

That makes two of us!

Jim

Comment

As it stands right now, below is a breakdown for those interested.

There are 24 of us with registered entries coming from 14 different states and one from another country (Canada). The entries breakdown into the following classes:

Dayton Audio-6
                    Under 200-9
                    Over 200-12
                    Unlimited-6

It's looking like it may be a smaller event this year, not that I'm complaining. It would be nice to have a little more time to hang out, socialize and discuss projects. Just a reminder, the cutoff for any more entries is next Friday.

Can't believe how fast this last year went by! Time flies when you're having fun! For those I know, looking forward to seeing you again. For the ones I don't, hopefully we'll have a chance to get acquainted.
                    My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                    Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                    Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
                    The Archers
                    Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
                    The Gandalf's

Comment

Hi John,

I switched to waterborne finishes over a decade ago so I could spray in my basement work shop. Once the MDF is cut and routed, winter isn't a problem for assembly and finishing. My all time favorite finish is Crystalac (now available through Amazon) which can be sprayed or brushed and some products from Target Coatings. They have a waterborne shellac that doesn't have the problems with crazing etc. but still pops the grain and works well as a barrier coat.

The problem I was having was with the 1/8" MDF cap I always use to hide butt joints wanted to lift and react to the top coats. This was before I discovered Target's shellac. So, after 3 complete paint jobs using both Crystalac and Target waterborne lacquer, it laid down but I ended up with some blushing and micro bubbles in the finish. They look good in dim light and acceptable in normal light but they'll get veneer this fall after the Iowa DIY.

For straight topcoats, Crystalac is my 1st choice. It's super easy to use, lays down very smooth, doesn't require sanding between coats and is extremely durable.

I enjoy finishing but not when I have problems like these. I'm just not experienced enough to correct problems when I spray without a lot of frustration.

Jim
                      Hey Jim,

Thanks for the info on Crystalac. I picked up a quart and will be testing it this weekend. Will let you know how it goes. Looking forward to the event.
                      Tent sale, swap meet, hot dogs, free hats, vintage gear, etc., etc.
                      Linehopper: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...Esoteric-build
                      Plan-Tanic: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ght=Plan-Tanic

Comment

Originally posted by 4thtry View Post

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the info on Crystalac. I picked up a quart and will be testing it this weekend. Will let you know how it goes. Looking forward to the event.
                        Tent sale, swap meet, hot dogs, free hats, vintage gear, etc., etc.
                        Hi Bill,

Another quick tip. Don't spray waterborne like solvent based. I used to 'flow coat" with solvent based paint. With waterborne, a lighter coat will not look good when you spray it but 10-15 minutes later and it flows out very smoothly.

BTW, which variety of Crystalac did you buy? I've used Super Premium for years. If I want to warm it up, I tint it but shellac usually warms it up enough as a base coat/barrier coat. Actually, I'm out so I bought a gallon which arrived today.

Let us know what you think of it.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post
                          As it stands right now, below is a breakdown for those interested.

There are 24 of us with registered entries coming from 14 different states and one from another country (Canada). The entries breakdown into the following classes:

Dayton Audio-6
                          Under 200-9
                          Over 200-12
                          Unlimited-6

It's looking like it may be a smaller event this year, not that I'm complaining. It would be nice to have a little more time to hang out, socialize and discuss projects. Just a reminder, the cutoff for any more entries is next Friday.

Can't believe how fast this last year went by! Time flies when you're having fun! For those I know, looking forward to seeing you again. For the ones I don't, hopefully we'll have a chance to get acquainted.
                          I won't be able to the over 200 project, so that reduces one. As is I am still struggling with the under 200 project.... Hopefully the finish is not a disaster and I can get it....

Comment

1 Tony H Niagara Falls NY Dayton Audio
                            2 Julian F Fishers IN Open Drivers Over $200
                            3 Aman A Palmyra NY Open Unlimited
                            4 Jim H Runnells IA Open Drivers Over $200
                            5 Javad S San Ramon CA Open Drivers Over $200
                            6 Julian R Shadyside OH Open Drivers Under $200
                            7 Brian Z Waterloo ON Open Unlimited
                            8 Kerry A Ypsilanti MI Dayton Audio
                            9 Kerry A Ypsilanti MI Open Drivers Over $200
                            10 Taylor H Fort Wayne IN Open Drivers Under $200
                            11 Paul K Hilliard OH Open Drivers Over $200
                            12 Scott Q Daphne AL Open Unlimited
                            13 Scott Q Daphne AL Open Drivers Over $200
                            14 Thomas Z Pilesgrove NJ Dayton Audio
                            15 John H Manchester MO Open Drivers Under $200
                            16 John H Manchester MO Dayton Audio
                            17 Anthony H Niagara Falls NY Open Drivers Over $200
                            18 Anthony H Niagara Falls NY Open Drivers Under $200
                            19 Ben S Auburn IN Open Drivers Under $200
                            20 Bill S Jackson WI Open Drivers Over $200
                            21 Ben S Auburn IN Open Drivers Over $200
                            22 Kevin K Alvarado TX Open Unlimited
                            23 Kole K Alvarado TX Dayton Audio
                            24 Mark C Columbus OH Dayton Audio
                            25 Steven G St. Louis MO Open Drivers Under $200
                            26 Norm C Norcross GA Open Unlimited
                            27 Ani M Plymouth MN Open Drivers Under $200
                            28 Ani M Plymouth MN Open Drivers Over $200
                            29 Taylor H Fort Wayne IN Open Drivers Over $200
                            30 William W Terre Haute IN Open Drivers Under $200
                            31 Jean M Columbus OH Open Unlimited
                            32 Jean M Columbus OH Open Drivers Over $200
                            33 Nick S Wilmington IL Open Drivers Under $200

Comment

My 200+ also will not make it. I did contact the persons that are managing the event so they are aware.

I really want to know/meet the Taylor H from Fort Wayne. I might have someone else ~local for fun time!

Later,
                              Wolf
                              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                              http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Hi Bill,

Another quick tip. Don't spray waterborne like solvent based. I used to 'flow coat" with solvent based paint. With waterborne, a lighter coat will not look good when you spray it but 10-15 minutes later and it flows out very smoothly.

BTW, which variety of Crystalac did you buy? I've used Super Premium for years. If I want to warm it up, I tint it but shellac usually warms it up enough as a base coat/barrier coat. Actually, I'm out so I bought a gallon which arrived today.

Let us know what you think of it.

Jim
                                Jim,

The quart I recently bought has a sticker on the lid indicating that it can be tinted with stain (normal color is clear). So, I probably have the same type that you are using. I will not be tinting the crystalac, however. Yesterday, I applied my stain directly to my test box. After the stain dries, I plan to apply a very thin coat or 2 of either crystalac or SealCoat sanding sealer. After this dries, I will begin the process of building up multiple layers of crystalac. Working it in, squeegee it off, dry, sand, repeat. If it turns out looking good, I'll bring it along to MWAF.

Thanks again for all the great finishing tips.

Bill
                                Linehopper: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...Esoteric-build
                                Plan-Tanic: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ght=Plan-Tanic

Comment

Working...
                                X