No announcement yet.

Midwest Audiofest 2017 Countdown...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updated breakdown, quite a few more entries in the last week. I've removed Ben and Ani from the Over $200 Class as they stated to do earlier. It's now up to 40 entries!

Dayton Audio-9
    Under $200-8
    Over $200-11
    Unlimited-12

Friendly reminder, tomorrow is the deadline for entries. Perhaps they will show pity on any that try to register after that.
    My "No-Name" CC Speaker
    Kerry's "Silverbacks"
    Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
    The Archers
    Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
    The Gandalf's

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post
      Updated breakdown, quite a few more entries in the last week. I've removed Ben and Ani from the Over $200 Class as they stated to do earlier. It's now up to 40 entries!

Dayton Audio-9
      Under $200-8
      Over $200-11
      Unlimited-12

Friendly reminder, tomorrow is the deadline for entries. Perhaps they will show pity on any that try to register after that.
      That's a lot of Unlimited entries! Have there been that many in the past?
      I never could stay for it years previous as I am usually too tired and bleary-eyed after the journey to stay past the meet-n-greet, so I'm not sure.

TomZ
      *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
      *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post

I never could stay for it years previous as I am usually too tired and bleary-eyed after the journey to stay past the meet-n-greet, so I'm not sure.

TomZ
        Not sure Tom. Wish I had access to last years entry list to see how it compares to this years.
        My "No-Name" CC Speaker
        Kerry's "Silverbacks"
        The Archers
        The Gandalf's

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post

TomZ
          Agree seems like a lot, though I usually only make the tail end of Friday. Maybe more people doing active/powered ?

Comment

The thing that usually makes judging the Unlimited category on Friday night so long (and tiring, Tom) is there is almost always some sort of problem in getting everything to "play" on some of the rather complicated configurations.
            Paul

Comment

I won't be attending Friday night. We won't be rolling in to town until late and I'm meeting family. Does anyone know what order the classes will run? Also, do they have a cut off time for having your speakers there and unloaded?

Thanks!

Jim

Comment

To my knowledge there have not been more than that in the Unlimited class before. I'm guessing maybe 8-10 tops in that class, with an average of 4-6 entries. We have however had 40+ entries in the past, and I think it was 46 a couple years ago.

According to their website:
                http://www.midwestaudiofest.com/schedule.php

Looks like it's Unlimited on Friday night, and then Over200 is first on Saturday, under200 is next, and then Dayton to finish off like normal.
                It says 5pm-7pm registration on Friday evening, but I know I've registered after that before on Saturday.
                7:30am-8:30am is Saturday registration time. As long as you register in that time frame, and have them able to play in their slot when your spot comes up, I doubt it will be an issue as to when you unload.
                Is Curt coming too? (Just curious...)

Later,
                Wolf
                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Do you need to give your speakers when you register or get it when it is supposed to play? My tweeters don't fit any more. Need to sand the flush mount......

Comment

Originally posted by ani_101 View Post
                    Do you need to give your speakers when you register or get it when it is supposed to play? My tweeters don't fit any more. Need to sand the flush mount......
                    I don't think you have to have the speakers in the room to register, nobody from PE seems to be concerned if they are physically in the room or not.
                    The perimeter does get pretty crowded though, maybe leave your write-up on the floor so you can save a spot if they're bigger?

TomZ
                    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                      To my knowledge there have not been more than that in the Unlimited class before. I'm guessing maybe 8-10 tops in that class, with an average of 4-6 entries. We have however had 40+ entries in the past, and I think it was 46 a couple years ago.

According to their website:
                      http://www.midwestaudiofest.com/schedule.php

Looks like it's Unlimited on Friday night, and then Over200 is first on Saturday, under200 is next, and then Dayton to finish off like normal.
                      It says 5pm-7pm registration on Friday evening, but I know I've registered after that before on Saturday.
                      7:30am-8:30am is Saturday registration time. As long as you register in that time frame, and have them able to play in their slot when your spot comes up, I doubt it will be an issue as to when you unload.
                      Is Curt coming too? (Just curious...)

Later,
                      Wolf
                      Hi Wolf,

Thanks for the info. One more question, does everyone have hand outs and write ups for their entries? The Bordeaux's haven't been "officially" announced yet so the cabinet drawings and write ups aren't done yet and won't be done before MWAF. I do have a BOM and the crossover of course.

Curt won't be making this event. I'll be presenting for both of us.

Based on the schedule you outlined, it sounds like I need to get there Friday night to get registered and drop off the speakers. I assume its a secure facility.

Thanks again Wolf! See you soon.

Jim

Comment

• Write-ups and handouts are pretty much up to the entrants. I will have one bound, full write-up and a few 1-page handouts on my speakers. The facility is locked but I'm pretty sure PE disclaims any responsibility for theft or damage while your speakers are in the facility. I don't mean this to sound harsh or critical of PE's position. Here's there official statement: Parts Express and Dayton Audio cannot be responsible for lost or stolen speakers however, every measure will be taken to protect your speakers from damage or theft. There's never been a theft I'm aware of, however, although I think a couple of speakers have been unintentionally damaged over the years.
                        Paul

Originally posted by Jim Holtz View Post

Hi Wolf,

Thanks for the info. One more question, does everyone have hand outs and write ups for their entries? The Bordeaux's haven't been "officially" announced yet so the cabinet drawings and write ups aren't done yet and won't be done before MWAF. I do have a BOM and the crossover of course.

Curt won't be making this event. I'll be presenting for both of us.

Based on the schedule you outlined, it sounds like I need to get there Friday night to get registered and drop off the speakers. I assume its a secure facility.

Thanks again Wolf! See you soon.

Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                          Write-ups and handouts are pretty much up to the entrants. I will have one bound, full write-up and a few 1-page handouts on my speakers. The facility is locked but I'm pretty sure PE disclaims any responsibility for theft or damage while your speakers are in the facility. I don't mean this to sound harsh or critical of PE's position. Here's there official statement: Parts Express and Dayton Audio cannot be responsible for lost or stolen speakers however, every measure will be taken to protect your speakers from damage or theft. There's never been a theft I'm aware of, however, although I think a couple of speakers have been unintentionally damaged over the years.
                          Paul

Hi Paul,

The only reason I asked about safety was because the event was off premises. I didn't expect PE to be on the hook if someone broke in. No event sponsors do that.

Your information packets are always professional. Mine not so much. Curt and I focus on complete plans and extensive write ups for his website but not so much to hand out at the events. However, you may have motivated me to put together an over view of the project to give more info than I'll be able to share in a quick presentation.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone at the event.

Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim Holtz View Post

Hi Paul,

The only reason I asked about safety was because the event was off premises. I didn't expect PE to be on the hook if someone broke in. No event sponsors do that.

Your information packets are always professional. Mine not so much. Curt and I focus on complete plans and extensive write ups for his website but not so much to hand out at the events. However, you may have motivated me to put together an over view of the project to give more info than I'll be able to share in a quick presentation.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone at the event.

Jim
                            I can tell you that I most likely won't have any write-up at all for mine. At this rate, I'm going to be lucky to have them physically complete and the finish dry in time . I will publish a full write-up at a later date though.

I just submitted my registrations, so I've gotta be dedicated to getting them finished this weekend!

Comment

• I'm curious to see how many are in the over $200 class which is what I'll be presenting in. I'm surprised they're scheduled to show first. That'll make it harder for the under $200 to be fully appreciated. That may have been a judges decision.

Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim Holtz View Post
                                I'm curious to see how many are in the over $200 class which is what I'll be presenting in. I'm surprised they're scheduled to show first. That'll make it harder for the under $200 to be fully appreciated. That may have been a judges decision.

Jim
                                This was the breakdown of entries yesterday Jim.

Dayton Audio-9
                                Under $200-8
                                Over $200-11
                                Unlimited-12
                                My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                                Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                                The Archers
                                The Gandalf's

Comment

Working...