Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Put down the best looking speaker(s) you have ever seen. DIY or commercial!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And I think MBL definitely needs to make the cut here...

Click image for larger version

Name:	MBL.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	1298271
    "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
    "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

Originally posted by PassingInterest View Post
      I think my Bunker Buster subwoofer is reasonably attractive, as well.
      Indeed . Excellent woodwork and I love the creativity!
      "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk

Comment

Hey Fatmarley, yes I think that was the ones I was thinking of. Who is James? Does he post here?

Comment

What can I say, they are my pride and joys!
          A mains
          The Ventures
          Open Invit8tions
          RSR
          Sound Troopers
          Acorns
          DGBG's
          The Monuments

Comment

Originally posted by 6thplanet View Post
            I've seen your work... and that pic doesn't do it justice. They look better in person

Comment

This one still makes me smile, as does its descendant.

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
              "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Someone mentioned Boenicke earlier. Their full range with side woofer designs predate the relatively recent trend for 'fast' builds by about ten years. I guess they were faster.

Comment

This by Ward Maas caught my eye - The Internal non-visible details of that speaker are in the Sept. 2016 AudioXpress.
                  The author covers the aspects of resonance - including the bottom half with bass sub-compartments below - the upper open portion is the mid section.
                  "adapted the tube with a Karlson cut out to minimize tube resonances.".
                  * I haven't heard them so I can't offer any opinion on how they sound. Click image for larger version

Name:	Ward Mass speaker.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	626.7 KB
ID:	1298335
                  Last edited by Sydney; 08-31-2016, 06:02 PM. Reason: clarity for details not apparent in picture
                  "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                  “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                  "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
                    This by Ward Maas caught my eye
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1298335[/ATTACH]
                    Interesting look, but wow, that rear open chamber is a resonating nightmare.
                    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Comment

RE: The Ward Maas speaker - Post #53
                        The Internal non-visible details of that speaker are in the Sept. 2016 AudioXpress.
                        The author covers the aspects of resonance - including the bottom half with separate bass sub-compartments - the upper open portion is the mid section.
                        "adapted the tube with a Karlson cut out to minimize tube resonances.".
                        * I haven't heard them so I can't offer any opinion on how they sound.
                        "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                        “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                        "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Respons Grand
                          "It is only Scrooge McDuck and others with a personality disorder who have money as their goal"

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight View Post
                            Hey Fatmarley, yes I think that was the ones I was thinking of. Who is James? Does he post here?
                            James posts over at pinkfishmedia. I'm pretty sure the last pair of speakers he built were the Ergo X in 2008 and I don't think he has plans to build anything else.
                            Last edited by fatmarley; 08-31-2016, 07:05 PM. Reason: Ahhh, how do you leave links with this new software?

Comment

I have to say a big old +1 for DLN's Echelons. When they were first posted I ran over to my wife and said...look at this! She said, "Those are really nice. Can you build a pair like those." I said, "No" and she lost interest.

Comment

Originally posted by 6thplanet View Post
                                Do you have a write-up of this speaker?

How do you like the audax 210 for mid bass? Compared to several hi end drivers you have used where does this driver fall?

Any other impression on this driver? I like the sensitivity and would like to use it in the bottom of a 3 way crossed over to a sub for the lows...

Comment

Working...
                                X