Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acoustic Elegance TD8S Woofers on the way!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TN Allen
    replied
    Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• xmax
    replied
    Yes a friend of Pete's brought some very nice vented 2 ways using the TD8S and the TL-Labs N26 to my shop for some measurements
    and the TD8S is quite the performer! Since I did not see it on their website I thought it was not available. In this design there is no resistors
    directly in the signal path of the TL tweet mounted in a wave guide and TD8S surprisingly matches the sensitivity AND produces some
    very nice bass into the mid 30hz range! I can't think of many 8" drivers that can do that!

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied
    Originally posted by TN Allen View Post
    xmax,

Could you provide a little more information, perhaps more of an explanation regarding "these never came out", T/L, and "ceramic tweeter in a waveguide..."
    I believe you can order the TD8S from Acoustic Elegance even if its not listed on their website.

Xmax is referring to the T-labs N26 aluminum ceramic dome in the guide.

Leave a comment:

• TN Allen
    replied
    xmax,

Could you provide a little more information, perhaps more of an explanation regarding "these never came out", T/L, and "ceramic tweeter in a waveguide..."

Leave a comment:

• xmax
    replied
    Too bad these never came out, I have the prototypes here, they reach into the mid 30's while keeping up with the TL
    ceramic tweeter in a waveguide...

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied
    Originally posted by TN Allen View Post
    Pete,

It appears you decided against a T/L cabinet? Perhaps I'm mis-interpreting the posts, but if you did decide against it, I'm curious why, and what the advantages are of the cabinet design in the photo. I've occasionally wondered about using AE woofers in a T/L cabinet.
    If this were more of a tower design, then I'm sure I would have used a TL. Ed wanted to build a monitor sized cabinet first as proof of concept for this construction technique and getting a folded TL into this shape is a bit more daunting but not impossible. Perhaps with the next version we could use a bottom ported option which would allow for a simple interior panel to create a folded and tapered line.

This layout allows it to be used as a desktop studio mastering monitor with its front port. It will have some high density Roxul strategically placed behind the woofer that should really take care of any rear wave issues.

Leave a comment:

• TN Allen
    replied
    Pete,

It appears you decided against a T/L cabinet? Perhaps I'm mis-interpreting the posts, but if you did decide against it, I'm curious why, and what the advantages are of the cabinet design in the photo. I've occasionally wondered about using AE woofers in a T/L cabinet.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied
    Originally posted by ani_101 View Post
    Wow nice, that's a beautiful enclosure. Why is the baffle extended top and below?

Do you have a recipe for the slurry?
    It was machined on a blank larger than the enclosure. Ed just hasn't trimmed it yet.

I do have a recipe for the slurry. But that's a secret recipe.

Leave a comment:

• marvin
    replied

Cabinets are starting to take shape. Baffles will be made of Corian and may have both a T-labs Magnesium Oxide Ceramic version and an AMT version.

Ed is a genius fabricator.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n1304347[/ATTACH]
    Pete, that sloped top looks Dolby Atmos ready😀

Leave a comment:

• ani_101
    replied
    Wow nice, that's a beautiful enclosure. Why is the baffle extended top and below?

Do you have a recipe for the slurry?

Leave a comment:

• jonasz
    replied
    Thanks Pete, beautiful looking speaker. :-)

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied
    Originally posted by jonasz View Post
    Pete, is that the same wg the Aurora use? Wich tweeter will you use?
    As I mentioned earlier, this guide is 8" wide and 1.5" deep and Aurora is 8.5" wide and 2" deep. The tweeter is the Magnesium Oxide ceramic and Aurora uses the Aluminum Oxide ceramic, both from Transducer labs. This enclosure is also somewhat larger at ~1.5cf vs. 1.2cf for the Aurora.

I'm contemplating using the AE TD10S as well, since the enclosure is large enough for it. But instead of a rear-mount, the TD10S would be recessed on the front of the baffle.

Leave a comment:

• jonasz
    replied
    Pete, is that the same wg the Aurora use? Wich tweeter will you use?

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied
    Originally posted by ani_101 View Post
    The image doesn't load 😣
    Sorry about that. Should be fixed now.

Leave a comment:

• ani_101
    replied
    The image doesn't load 😣

Leave a comment:

Working...