Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acoustic Elegance TD8S Woofers on the way!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoustic Elegance TD8S Woofers on the way!

I'm very excited anticipating the delivery of a pair of Acoustic Elegance TD8S woofers. John's specs look really promising!

I hope to pair it up with a Transducer Labs tweeter in an 8" guide. But I do have other options in mind as well.

They should be here in a few days and I'll post pictures as soon as I can.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TD8s.png
Views:	5
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1298331

Name:	TD8S modeled enclosure.png
Views:	4
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	1298332
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Specs look good for a midsized stand mount. Is this a new AE offering? How much dollars?

Dan
    The Hurricanes
    The Baronettes
    Conneccentric
    UX3

Comment

Curious about their FR...
      "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Originally posted by DanP View Post
        Specs look good for a midsized stand mount. Is this a new AE offering? How much dollars?

Dan
        I hope it is priced right at under $50......

Comment

$531 for the pair, shipped.

I may try a small floor stander with a tapered TL and slot terminus.
          R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
          Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Nice! Looks promising.
            -Kerry

Comment

I know I almost pulled the trigger on these and had gotten prices and specs on them, but couldn't decide on a tweeter and was wishy washy on what I wanted to do and ended up buying a tube amp with the money instead. I am happy with the amp but still wish I would have ordered the 8s drivers. That with the TL tweeter should sound great and I'm excited to see what you do with them.

Comment

What TL tweeter, Pete?

Comment

Originally posted by martyh View Post
                  What TL tweeter, Pete?
                  Leaning towards the magnesium at the moment. I used the ceramic and the Beryllium so I really should give the Mag a try. Response sure looks nice!

I've also been considering possibly going with the Aurum Cantus AST30100 in a guide. It's good to 1KHz on its own so in a proper guide it should easily handle a crossover around 800Hz or so.

Comment

I did a quick model for a 10:1 tapered TL for your woofer, Pete. The line is 50" long and tapers from an area of 9"W x 12.5"D down to an area at the end of 9"W x 1.25"D. I modeled with 0.5 ohms in series to simulate the resistance of a crossover inductor, which raises Qts to 0.46. That made a system tuning frequency, with stuffing in the line, of ~34 Hz providing an overall flat response. I modeled with a stuffing density of 0.75 lb/ft3 with fiber in the first 2/3 of the line's length. The woofer's center was located 10" from the beginning of the line. I've attached the predicted anechoic system bass response for an actual input of 60 watts where Xmax is first reached at ~50 Hz and the peak terminus air velocity hits ~8.2 m/s at 31 Hz. F3 is 39 Hz and can be lowered simply by increasing the net line volume, which is now ~1.8 ft3. Hoping this helps you get started more quickly.
                    Paul

Name:	TTL for AE TD8S.gif
Views:	7
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	1298519

$531 for the pair, shipped.

I may try a small floor stander with a tapered TL and slot terminus.
                    Last edited by Paul K.; 09-01-2016, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Thanks for that Paul. Looks pretty good too. It's almost exactly what I had in mind when I was contemplating a TL, from enclosure volume, line length and taper ratio.

Here's what I have in mind if I go with the AST30100 instead of the TLabs magnesium dome. 1.5" thick baffle with an 8" square guide and circular profile sides and top.

Name:	AST30100 guide baffle.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1298611

Comment

You're welcome, Pete. Have fun with it.
                        Paul

Thanks for that Paul. Looks pretty good too. It's almost exactly what I had in mind when I was contemplating a TL, from enclosure volume, line length and taper ratio.

Comment

I've also been considering possibly going with the Aurum Cantus AST30100 in a guide.
                          No! I think the TL with AE is the logical "uber" evolution of the Marksman design. People would be crazy not to build them. And maybe the "fancy" drivers might bring more attention to Marksman design, which probably does not sell as well it deserves because it's too far from the "PA-only" enthusiasts focus. They don't know what they are missing.

And I would hate for TL to go away for lack of popular designs. Every driver needs a "killer app" that catches people attention, and this design could be that for the TL. On a sort of related note I feel the same way about Zaph's ridiculously excellent but absurdly under-appreciated woofer. I intend to rectify that as soon as I can get back in a house and start building again.
                          ~Brandon

Soma Sonus
                          DriverVault

Comment

TD8's have been a long time coming ! there is nothing on AE's sight about them ,even if you search and lucky enough to find the TD8 discussion there are no updates and the forums are dead . the new website has to be one of the worst websites I have ever seen ,the previous also fits in the worst website ever category ! a great product and can't keep up with demand so the website doesn't seem to have an effect on sales .
                            The TD8 just may be what the 8" two way folks have been waiting for !? it will be interesting to see what happens .
                            donc

Comment

Originally posted by donc View Post
                              TD8's have been a long time coming ! there is nothing on AE's sight about them ,even if you search and lucky enough to find the TD8 discussion there are no updates and the forums are dead . the new website has to be one of the worst websites I have ever seen ,the previous also fits in the worst website ever category ! a great product and can't keep up with demand so the website doesn't seem to have an effect on sales .
                              The TD8 just may be what the 8" two way folks have been waiting for !? it will be interesting to see what happens .
                              donc
                              Don, the B&C 8BG51 is an EXCELLENT woofer. I plan on bringing it to Iowa so that the guys can hear what it can do. I just hope the AE is better, since it costs double and doesn't really offer that much more total displacement. While it doesn't have the low end extension that the TD8S theoretically offers, in-room bass performance from a .7cf cabinet tuned to the mid 40s is surprisingly deep, and offers exceptionally clean output to very high levels. Vocal reproduction is fantastic and drum whacks are palpable. The only limiting factor in that cabinet is the port is too small. That woofer is capable of creating a windstorm.

The stupid stop-sign frame might keep some people away from using it, but it is PERFECT for mounting on the back of a baffle with its built in gasket.

Comment

Working...
                              X