Workshop audio system

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workshop audio system

I'm in the planning stage of an audio system for my new garage/shop building. If you have some suggestions or feedback it would be appreciated.

The building: 34' x 40' x 12', 1360sq ft.

Equipment list (got used on CL and ebay)
    -dbx 231 1/3 octave EQ
    -dbx 223XL 2 way active x-over
    -QSC USA 1310 amp (subs)
    -QSC USA 400 amp (mains)

Current plan (subject to change)
    -low budget
    -build a new set of small main speakers, 1" dome, 5 or 6 woofer(s), passive x-over. They only need to get down to ~100hz
    -Build a pair of sub woofer boxes with 1x 12" driver each (or 2?)

I have build lots of boxes over the last 25 years. For this project I would like to get more complicated, learn and have some fun. Because I am cheap, and have a connection, I was going to use car subs. specifically Rockford P3s. They have TS parameters similar to other 12s. Instead of another boring sealed box, I want to build/test/modify/verify a ported box. They need about 2.2cuft (not including port) to get a f3 of about 25hz. The port is the issue, 4" is ~18 long, but too maybe small (for 15mm xmax?), a pair would be 38" which isn't going to fit well and adds .65cuft to the box. External ports are an option.

Current speakers hang from trusses, aimed at short wall, at about 1/2 way point on long wall. They rattle the light fixtures and the wiring in the conduit badly. Not sure if I can hang subs in similar fashion. Perhaps with some isolation materials.
    Last edited by rattle_snake; 10-03-2016, 04:58 PM.

For the mains I am looking at the following:

-Dayton Audio DC28F-8 1-1/8" Silk Dome Tweeter
    -Dayton Audio XO2W-2.5K 2-Way Speaker Crossover 2,500 Hz (or 2k version?)
    -Peerless by Tymphany 830875 6-1/2" Nomex Cone HDS Woofer

If you have driver recommendations please share. Open to a MTM setup as well, for power handling. Amp is 100w/8ohm 200w/4ohm.

Comment

In the 15+ years I've been on this board, I've only seen a "stock" (off the shelf) XO work once, so there's that.

Comment

The Dayton III design (project showcase) would work well for the MTM or just build the BR-1 kit. I'd use 4 mains with two subs in the corners. Seems like a good fit for a Econowave build.
        John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
          In the 15+ years I've been on this board, I've only seen a "stock" (off the shelf) XO work once, so there's that.
          Ok..sorry to offend you. How possibly could an OTS x-over filter anything or be of any use? They absolutely cannot be measured or modified either.

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
            The Dayton III design (project showcase) would work well for the MTM or just build the BR-1 kit. I'd use 4 mains with two subs in the corners. Seems like a good fit for a Econowave build.
            Thanks for the info. BR-1 is tempting as the filter is already done... Was willing to spend a little more on the woofer but I'm think the DC160-8 would be OK for this application.

Why 4 mains?

Comment

Originally posted by rattle_snake View Post

Thanks for the info. BR-1 is tempting as the filter is already done... Was willing to spend a little more on the woofer but I'm think the DC160-8 would be OK for this application.

Why 4 mains?
              If you don't have measurement equipment, then definitely stick with an existing project. You'd be amazed at how much an OTS crossover screws up frequency response. 4 speakers for more even coverage in the large space? That's my guess. I also agree that an Econowave design would be a good option for getting the most out of your amp.
              Eric L.

Comment

For the mains I am looking at the following:

-Dayton Audio DC28F-8 1-1/8" Silk Dome Tweeter
                -Dayton Audio XO2W-2.5K 2-Way Speaker Crossover 2,500 Hz (or 2k version?)
                -Peerless by Tymphany 830875 6-1/2" Nomex Cone HDS Woofer

If you have driver recommendations please share. Open to a MTM setup as well, for power handling. Amp is 100w/8ohm 200w/4ohm.

Just my opinion, but I would save those 830875 Nomex for a different project if you already have them. Don't get me wrong it is a great woofer, but I can't imagine what it might look like in a workshop/garage after a short time. Mine hang on to dust like a (insert comical simile) and are pretty hard to clean. They still get coated and they are in my family room with grills.

Comment

What Eric said, I suggested 4 mains for coverage and fill. With the Dayton III MTM you'd probably have enough SPL to fill the room w/ 2 but 4 mains gives you more options
                  John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Ok..sorry to offend you. How possibly could an OTS x-over filter anything or be of any use? They absolutely cannot be measured or modified either.
                    Well, of course they can . . .

Comment

Would Brian Steele's Blasoramas fit the bill for the mains?

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...my-blastoramas

http://www.diysubwoofers.org/projects/home/blastoramas/

Comment

Originally posted by GTPlus View Post

Just my opinion, but I would save those 830875 Nomex for a different project if you already have them. Don't get me wrong it is a great woofer, but I can't imagine what it might look like in a workshop/garage after a short time. Mine hang on to dust like a (insert comical simile) and are pretty hard to clean. They still get coated and they are in my family room with grills.

I've had the same problem with garage speakers, the worst have been paper cones with a sticky coating. I agree that 4 speakers would be beneficial in a room that large. What are your current speakers?

http://www.parts-express.com/hitmake...only--300-7114

Comment

Being a garage/shop application it may be worth considering sealed or passive radiator designs to keep bugs, sawdust, moisture, etc. out.
                          Projects:

transcenD: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...5035-transcend
                          Summits: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...75-The-Summits
                          References: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-My-References
                          Vintage Style 2-way: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-vintage-2-way

Comment

If this is for a garage / shop project, . .I'd advise revising your requirements.
                            1. You aren't going to be nailed down to the sweet spot (not intentionally, at least), .. so wide dispersion is important.
                            2. Go cheap, .. the environment and temperature swings won't be kind to the drivers long term.
                            3. Since you already have a 2 way crossover, .. consider building something with a fullrange and use the crossover to cross over to subwoofers (if needed or desired)
                            4. You need something to get reasonably loud or sound punchy. Utmost fidelity is not a prime concern here.

With these factors in mind, I'd look at some of the smaller Karlson variants and hang them from the ceiling with the apex of the slit facing downwards.. Most folks on this board don't know about them, or understand them, let alone heard them (or have heard the old school karlsons), The load on the driver will control cone motion, minimizing intermodulation distortion - so you could plausibly get away with a fullrange driver.

For example - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-...-bandpass.html

You could put a cloth grill behind the K-slot to protect the driver from dust if you want to.

From that thread
                            "
                            It's very musical sounding and very engaging to listen to. There is no fatigue and in fact, you can take a driver that normally may have some nasty peaks that cause fatigue in an open face speaker, put it in a Karlsonator and the aperture smooths out and cleans up the peaks - homogenizes it and the speaker can be listened to without harshness. Listen to some sound clips in the mini Karlsonator thread and you will get an idea.

What's the downside? The K-aperture will cause some dips in the mid response, the famous W shaped set of dips. These are not that audible or noticable, but prevent the Karlsonator from being a hifi speaker or a "monitor". For normal listening to music though, it is, again and again, my preferred "go to" speaker. Also, I would recommend it as a first full range speaker build. Very easy to make.

"

Comment

Originally posted by chrisn View Post

I've had the same problem with garage speakers, the worst have been paper cones with a sticky coating. I agree that 4 speakers would be beneficial in a room that large. What are your current speakers?

http://www.parts-express.com/hitmake...only--300-7114
                              I have been staying away from paper cone drivers for environmental reasons, but this is a low budget system so I am keeping options open.

Current speakers are a sad set of leftovers that just keep going after all these years. I built the enclosures in the late 90s, and originally had all Pioneer drivers. I slowly upgraded the drivers one at a time, including reducing box size and converting to a sealed enclosure. Eventually I built 801 style enclosures and transferred the good stuff... and had enough leftovers for a complete set. They have been on garage duty since the mid 2000s. I also have a leftover 10" Rockford P3 shallow and a plate amp to add a little more low end.

Comment

Working...
                              X