Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jclin4
    replied
    Yes agreed, many thanks to Dave for opening up his place for this gathering. It was small this time, but this allowed for more listening to each system and also more discussion about them. I always learn something new when attending DIY events, but even more so at this event, given the intimate gathering and setting.

As Mike P mentioned, active systems were center of the day, as were three-ways. I was the throw back, bringing my horizontal monitors with passive XOs.

Mike A and Mike P brought a stand-mount 3-way with Hiq OW1 tweeter, small format mid (make which I did not capture), and SEAS ER18RNX woofers. A nice complement of drivers, and well put together in reasonably sized cabs. But the star of this setup is the active crossover implemented in python script and associated python and C libraries running on a raspberry pi 3. This was software they created on their own and not an off the shelf software package. Mike A was able to make adjustments to the crossover by changing parameters in his code on his macbook (I think the Rpi and Mac were using his phone as a wifi access point). The system, which is a work in progress, also included a Sure 6-channel amp board and USB sound card (not specifically designed for raspberry pi, but on a circuit board similar in size). As a WIP, it's probably not fair to evaluate for SQ, but what I heard sounded good and offers great promise, particularly as they refine the software and iterate on improving and optimizing components, like the power supply.

As mentioned, Dave demonstrated an interchangeable active system that was actually 3-systems-in-1. The base (or bass) of it all are dipole, H-frame woofers (15" I think?), two per side. The first tweeter+mid module on top were dipole mids (Revelator) + SEAS DXT tweeter. This combination sounded fantastic. Very open and dynamic, with great detail.

Next module had a smaller mid (Scanspeak, I think, about 3-4") in monopole configuration with Hiq OW1 tweeter. This sounded very different than the dipole module. The upper XO was LR2 and for kicks, Dave changed this to LR8 on his PC running Ultimate Equalizer software (try doing LR8 with a passive XO!), and we listened some more. Immediately the midrange became clearer and more well defined. Pretty much all there heard this.

Last module had Scanspeak tweeter (9300 or 9500) and a 4-5" fiberglass mid (apologies for not getting the exact driver models...these are in a higher-end space I generally do not play in), like the second module also in a sealed box. These sounded very neutral and balanced and I would be very happy listening to this configuration over the long-term, but then we then ended by putting the dipole module back in just to get one more listen. These were magic!
    Last edited by jclin4; 10-23-2016, 07:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Michael P
    replied
    That was fun. I bought 5 albums today so I could experience more of the music we listened to. Thanks to Dave for hosting us again.

It was really cool to see/hear the crossover adjustments (without much of a wait) on Dave's interchangeable mid/tweeter units and Mike A's speakers. I guess digital crossovers are taking over.

Tom, your speculation was right, it is really pretty around his place. (It was oddly warm towards the end of last week, but now that we had DIY New England, it feels like fall again.) I didn't bring my camera this time, but Dave took some pictures.

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Hope everyone has a good time there today. Looks like an absolutely beautiful neck of the woods... should be a nice ride up with the leaves changing.
    I wish I was going. Maybe next year if it's an annual thing.
    Hopefully some pics will be posted.
    TomZ

Leave a comment:

• billschu
    replied
    Originally posted by dlr View Post
    One last note to remind you that DIY NE is tomorrow morning.

dlr
    Have a blast everybody. I'm sad that I can't make it to this one. Headed to the airport. I have a new set using the RS 225s that Michael Price gave me. I guess i'll save them for next time.
    Dave, thanks again for hosting. I'll be there in spirit.

Leave a comment:

• jclin4
    replied
    Really looking forward to this! See you tomorrow

Cheers,
    - John

Leave a comment:

• dlr
    replied
    One last note to remind you that DIY NE is tomorrow morning.

dlr

Leave a comment:

Working...
X