Help needed on radio console project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Edaniel View Post
    The sub is bolted to the front face. I'm afraid that if I decouple the sub it will move out of place. Do you mean remove the sub from the cabinet all together? I suppose I can do that but it wouldn't be a complete, single unit as planned. I'll keep it in mind. Thanks.
    IF just reducing level solved the problem great, though shock and vibration are separate issues.
    Because the woofer itself transfers energy to surrounding structure:
    http://www.linkwitzlab.com/frontiers_2.htm
    There are techniques for suppression; shock mounting and dampening.
    The goal is to move air, not make a "rump-kicker"

"Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
    "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by Edaniel View Post

The sub is bolted to the front face. I'm afraid that if I decouple the sub it will move out of place. Do you mean remove the sub from the cabinet all together? I suppose I can do that but it wouldn't be a complete, single unit as planned. I'll keep it in mind. Thanks.
      I would use some decoupling mounts of some type. A search for neoprene decoupling pads on google has some interesting options. I'd un-bolt the sub from the front panel, then use a set of the floor mount isolators to mount the sub to the bottom of the cabinet about 1/2" or so back from the front panel.
      Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
      Wogg Music

Comment

Originally posted by wogg View Post
        I would use some decoupling mounts of some type. A search for neoprene decoupling pads on google has some interesting options. I'd un-bolt the sub from the front panel, then use a set of the floor mount isolators to mount the sub to the bottom of the cabinet about 1/2" or so back from the front panel.
        It is starting to look a redesign of subwoofer is inevitable. I will have to remove the front face to cut a bigger hole for the sub to push air through from 1/2" away. I will also have to make another box for the sub. The box barely fits in the cabinet and its contents barely fit in the box . I definitely went too big on the sub. I think I will have to downsize. I should have picked the Dayton Audio SA100 instead of the Yung SD300. Would the SA100 drive the UMB-22-8 or will I have to downsize the subwoofer as well?

What is the criteria for choosing neoprene pads?

Comment

I forgot to mention the sub is giving me a buzzing noise. It is intermittent but very annoying. Would a grounded cable take care of that?

Comment

Love this project, I've been searching for just the right console. Yours looks fantastic! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by corradizo View Post
              Love this project, I've been searching for just the right console. Yours looks fantastic! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Thanks Corradizo! I'm enjoying the console in my living room even with the bass problem. keep looking, the right one is out there. The one in the link below is another version my console. I canvas craiglist, ebay, and estate sales.

https://frederick.craigslist.org/atq/6037720594.html

Comment

Working...
              X