Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's post something interesting: the ultimate small speaker build thread.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's a video showing the movement. I realize I was probably pushing the midrange to far down and it would take a lot of power to ever make it move that much. Just wanted to make sure you could see the tweeter diaphragm actually moving out.

https://youtu.be/rO5Ng3_laOE

Placed masking tape across the back opening of the tweeter and didn't see any movement at all after that.

My "No-Name" CC Speaker
    Kerry's "Silverbacks"
    Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
    The Archers
    Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
    The Gandalf's

Comment

• Hmmm interesting. Thanks for the video. Let me ask one of the engineers at Scanspeak about this. I checked and I don't see this on my tweeters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolf View Post
        I thought the same thing about my subs in the car when they were in separate enclosures quite a while back. The electrical connection is what led me astray. With them in parallel, the push on one cone moved the other in the opposite direction. The coil in the motor gap generates current when manually moved, and this causes the motion in the other driver since it's in the circuit.
        That was my thought, I can generate easily a couple volts on a multimeter by moving a speaker cone by hand. But that appears to not be the case here.

It is odd that the leak appears to be in the very rear of the chamber, from my understanding the oddly shaped hole in the rear of the chamber is is just to direct reflections away from the diaphragm, and is still a completely sealed chamber. Somehwere way back when these tweeters came out I saw a cutaway showing that.

So Kevin, what to you see in the rear of the tweeter? Is there a hole? It actually looks like a small hole in the top left of the tweeter on the right in your photo.
        Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

• Originally posted by dcibel View Post
          So Kevin, what to you see in the rear of the tweeter? Is there a hole? It actually looks like a small hole in the top left of the tweeter on the right in your photo.
          I'm not at the shop right now but when I looked earlier I couldn't see down into the opening very well. Will try a flashlight when I get back to the shop and see if I can get a better look. I'm thinking the hole you are referring to on the top left is just a dimple but will double check that also. Thanks.

My "No-Name" CC Speaker
          Kerry's "Silverbacks"
          The Archers
          The Gandalf's

Comment

• Originally posted by dcibel View Post
            It actually looks like a small hole in the top left of the tweeter on the right in your photo.
            Good eyes, you were right, that is a tiny hole on the left. Best I can tell, the odd shaped opening in the middle is all sealed. Guess I got lucky when I applied the masking tape across the back and it sealed it. Any idea what this hole is for?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170514_210731.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	663.1 KB
ID:	1331635

My "No-Name" CC Speaker
            Kerry's "Silverbacks"
            The Archers
            The Gandalf's

Comment

• Brian,

I noticed your posts on another forum about the Magico speaker. Yes, the best active always will trump the best passive. How about a DIY alternative to the M90?

Comment

• Originally posted by rickcraig View Post
                Brian,

I noticed your posts on another forum about the Magico speaker. Yes, the best active always will trump the best passive. How about a DIY alternative to the M90?
                M90? Do you mean the Beolab 90? I've considered it, but I can't figure out what they're doing on the DSP. It would also have no bass response, or the speaker would be too big if it did have bass response. So I had to go with a "simpler" design.

Comment

• This weekends update: Argh!!! Put in somewhere around 30 hours this weekend and still fell short of completing both! One is finished, the other is probably 4-6 hours behind it. It's all the little details that are eating me up now. Once the other is finished, I can begin the fun task of rounding up all this other stuff you've sent me over the last 6 months and getting it packed. I'm planning on overkilling the crap out of the packaging to get these to you safely. They are going to have to drop the box out of a plane to mess em up! Anyway, here are some pictures of the completed one. Well, almost complete, I need to get a soft toothbrush and clean out some of the compound residue in the grooves. You can see in the first two photos where I've added the receivers to the front baffles for the revised front grills. The rear grills still use magnets and they passed the DQ Blizzard test with flying colors. Just a heads up, you will need some cotton cloths or microfiber towels on hand at all times if you plan on letting anyone touch these. They show fingerprints and smudges like crazy! Hope you enjoy the pics.

And no, I still haven't truncated that other midrange you sent so add some more time to that 4-6 hours I stated earlier. And I still need to drill the holes in the midrange chamber for the wires. Argh, will these ever end?!!!
                  My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                  Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                  The Archers
                  The Gandalf's

Comment

• that looks great !!!
                    Paper Towers
                    RS180P/28F surrounds
                    Boombox

Comment

• It looks beautiful - first rate job Kevin!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post

Good eyes, you were right, that is a tiny hole on the left. Best I can tell, the odd shaped opening in the middle is all sealed. Guess I got lucky when I applied the masking tape across the back and it sealed it. Any idea what this hole is for?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n1331635[/ATTACH]

No idea, unless for barometric pressure relief, but I've never seen a speaker with a 100% airtight surround material. Looking online I see that it appears to be included on the entire Illuminator tweeter line, so it's not a manufacturing error.
                        Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers, you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers. Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways it's still rock and roll to me!

Comment

• Kevin, I think the next thing I need on my list is a thesaurus because I'm running out of adjectives to accurately describe the astonishing speaker that I see. The level of attention to detail is crazy. Really looking forward to this!

So Scanspeak got back to me. The leak is intentional because they found air transport of the tweeters can severely damage the tweeters due to air pressure differences. Given how brittle beryllium is, I'm not surprised they would get destroyed from the change in air pressure. Since this was originally designed as a travel speaker when I travel between US and Canada for work, I definitely want to leave that leak there. Since the midrange is only doing midrange, it won't really do any significant excursion even at extreme volumes, so it shouldn't really affect the tweeter.

Comment

• Originally posted by bcodemz View Post

M90? Do you mean the Beolab 90? I've considered it, but I can't figure out what they're doing on the DSP. It would also have no bass response, or the speaker would be too big if it did have bass response. So I had to go with a "simpler" design.
                            Yes, the Beolab 90, but in jest as it is a rather complicated design. Sorry for the thread detour - Kevin is making you look really good

Comment

• Originally posted by rickcraig View Post
                              Yes, the Beolab 90, but in jest as it is a rather complicated design. Sorry for the thread detour - Kevin is making you look really good
                              Rather complicated is an understatement, the Beolab 90's are just plum crazy. I like challenging cabinets but believe trying to build a pair of those would put me in a mental institution.
                              My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                              Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                              The Archers
                              The Gandalf's

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post

Rather complicated is an understatement, the Beolab 90's are just plum crazy. I like challenging cabinets but believe trying to build a pair of those would put me in a mental institution.
                                Not to say, the design, DSP, and optimal tuning of all the drivers to get its radiation pattern are all at a completely different level of complexity even compared to this speaker. I like pushing boundaries, but if I attempted I'd be trying to push the boundaries of the mental institution!

Comment

Working...
                                X