No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi music player encyclopedia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi music player encyclopedia?

I am using Squeezeplug on a Raspberry Pi to run as a player on my Squeezebox system.

I'm down to a single player these days and it seems the Logitech/Squeeze future is in question.

So I figured I'd investigate other player options for the Raspberry Pi.

My wish list:

1. I'd sort of prefer no server software aspect. That is, I'd love to just point to some network shares to access my music. Just let me browse the folder hiearchy and find what I want to play.
    2. I'd like decent support for streaming services like Spotify, Deezer, Napster, Tidal, etc. Don't see why this can't be built right into the player.
    3. I'd like a built-in software equalizer, or the ability to add one.
    4. Decent web interface that adapts to portable devices, desktop web browsers, etc.
    5. Open-source and very active is preferred. It has been interesting to see some of the open source products adapted into something easy to apply, and then go commercial. Squeezelite is one. Great idea, and some guy adapted it into Squeezeplug (a distribution just for the Pi). Then he wants a few bucks from each user, then it rolls into a commercial product (I guess) called Max-something. Still traces the root of its code back to Squeezelite, AFAIK. Anyway, open-source and active would be preferred, I'd like it to be around for a while.

Anyway, any suggestions would be welcome. Or links to sites where they compare the gobs of different players for the Pi, too.

This is sorta outta my league, but have you looked at mopidy? i dont think it offers an equalizer, but I believe it runs as a service on raspbian.

Comment

It is interesting to note that RuneAudio, Moode, and Volumio are all forks of the same project, and have very similar interfaces. There may be others.

I tried Volumio today. No EQ, had to add the Alsa equalizer. The volume control isn't very easy to adjust, IMHO. Reports some interesting (wrong) #'s in terms of my music collection.

Maybe just user error at this point.

Interesting to see discussions about the differences in sound quality between them. I can't imagine a huge difference in the underlying engines, and yet people talk about the differences is substantial terms. Likely people don't understand how they may be configured differently (like levels on differing output devices).

Onehandclappin, I may try Mopidy next. Technically, I'll be trying Pi Musicbox as Mopidy is just a server and you need some additional stuff to make a functional player. Pi Musicbox rolls it all together.

Comment

I just bought a hifiberry dac+. So I was doing some research on different MPD's once I have everything setup. I still have not taken my pi out of the box yet, but I was thinking about loading OSMC, and using that primarily, although it looks like adding spotify, google play and pandora (or pandoki) requires some challenging skills. Then again, I remind myself that I will hardly watch anything, and just listen to music, so Rune, Volumio and others are still distro's I am considering.
        I get your point about the discussions about sound quality - reminds me of when I rooted my cell phone and installed an app called Viper that was supposedly the best app for android sound. I hardly noticed any difference and wondered if the placebo affect made Viper so popular.

Comment

Well my evals are over, and I'm going to stick with LMS.

Volumio seems okay but the deal breaker is that adding the alsaequal is a challege because Volumio rewrites configuration files and will knock-out the EQ. Also not thrilled with the volume control (seems slow to respond and a little jumpy, and imprecise).

Moode (forked from same project as Volumio) will be adding an EQ in the next version, but no direct support for Spotify or Pandora. I guess Volumio has no direct support for Pandora either, to be fair. I have Pandora and Spotify, and also my own library. Volume control seems about the same as Volumio (expected, I guess, see fork comment).

Pi MusicBox. Seemed promising but Spotify is broken (althoug it can be fixed by pulling the card and making a couple of changes). The Volume control isn't great (a small slider w/o any numeric representation of where you are, important when you're trying to make A/B comparisons which I sometimes do, I need to return to the exact same volume setting).

The iPeng support of LMS is amazing on iPhones and iPads. I wish the iPeng guys would write an MPD client that worked with these players, because MPoD and MPaD are very "eh."

I did end-up downloading piCorePlayer. Seems to be a step-up from my old distro of Squeezeplug. Has the ability to auto-install alsaequal and just basically figures a lot of stuff out all by itself. Also has LMS built into it and I'll explore how that works this weekend. Don't know if I'd give-up any functionality over the Windows version of LMS.

I suspect Volumio, Rune, and Moode will eventually become quite nice.

Comment

Volumio works well for me, but does not have an eq.

Comment

Originally posted by dst View Post
              Volumio works well for me, but does not have an eq.
              Agreed, somehow a bit better than the clones.
              PiCorePlayer is pretty wonderful 'cuz run from ram, but it's a real pain to setup.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
              "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
              SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
              My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Moode ticks all the boxes for me. Parametric and Graphic equalizers, naive Spotify interface, now very easy to load and configure compared to earlier versions. I use it with a Pi Dac Pro. Personally, using Amazon music service on an ipad and airplay is flawless. Good support forum. Free.(I should say it is without charge, and occasional support for ongoing upgrades and enhancements is appreciated.)

Comment

I play Spotify on Raspberry Pi with the help of Spotify to MP3 Converter. Then I can play the songs offline and upload them to other apps or players. The music is lossless and I can save the songs forever on my devices.

Comment

I use archphile and mpd with scripts to remember and apply eq per album if applicable. Eq is only 15 fixed band but good enough

Comment

Make sure to checkout the plugins available for Volumio, easy to install from the user interface. Spotify Connect, Radio Paradise, IR remote, rotary encoder are some I have used and are just a few of the offerings. I do see two equalizer options, but have not used them.
                      My Builds - Vigor (Nola Brio Knockoff) - Overnight Sensations w/ Voxel - Speedsters in surplus boxes - Zaph B3N's in bamboo - Classix II in BR-1 cabinets - Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box - Mariposas

Comment

Spotify is a music gushing application, which lets you tune in to your preferred music alright on the web. It additionally permits its clients to stream music and digital broadcast on the web. The free form of Spotify Mod APK runs advertisements in the middle of the gushing of melodies and digital broadcasts.

Comment

Late to the party here, but how does Volumio compare to the Google Cast stuff? Specifically, I loved my Chromecast audios. But Google killed those last year--as they always seem to do. I've read that you can mickey mouse a normal Chromecast dongle to just stream audio, so I might do that. So many apps already have the Cast feature built-in, it's hard to imagine using anything else.
                          Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                          Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

I can't speak to Chromecast, but a volumio Mini86 (I didn't want to deal with getting a machine and installing the disto - this was turnkey)is my primary means or music consumption these days. I've ripped my CD library to FLAC, which sits on a NAS (although it could just as easily sit on the volumio). It is accessed through an intranet web client. The only thing I don't like about it is if you are too quick on the draw to hit the URL, the browser will try to redirect you to a non-existent website (whatever the name of your volumio is on the network) instead of opening it. If you wait 4-5 minutes, you are set.

Comment

I use my chromecast audios for background music played from speakers around the house. They are easy to access via cast features in apps as well as voice command. Now when I sit down and want to listen to music in my listening area and want full control of what is being played on the fancy stuff, this is where volumio shines.
                              My Builds - Vigor (Nola Brio Knockoff) - Overnight Sensations w/ Voxel - Speedsters in surplus boxes - Zaph B3N's in bamboo - Classix II in BR-1 cabinets - Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box - Mariposas

Comment

Working...
                              X