Building slotted Speedsters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building slotted Speedsters

Hey, Here are some pictures of my current build; Paul Carmodys well known Speedsters. It will be a speedy build (pun intended;) the longest wait will probably be waiting for parts from overseas. My wife wanted some compact good speakers in a hobby room she frequently uses, and I thought a set Speedsters would be a nice contribution. They will be slot ported for easier placement. Looking forward to hearing these FJ
    Last edited by Fjellhelten; 12-31-2016, 01:13 PM.

Nice start. Looking forward to the build pictures as they progress.

Comment

What is the material you're using? It looks like MDF, but the edges show the surface is a bit darker than the interior?

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
        What is the material you're using? It looks like MDF, but the edges show the surface is a bit darker than the interior?
        I'm using 16 mm regular MDF. Might be the light making it look a little different...

FJ

Comment

Thanks. I hope they turn out nice for you.

Comment

Thanks! Will post pics as the project progress. I'm planning to have all edges slightly rounded over with a router, and go for a high gloss white finish

Comment

I couldn't decide on how I wanted the slot, and having too much MDF at hand I decided to build both options (total 4 cabs). Time will show what I'll do with the second cabinet

I have rounded off corners on all speakers. The slot on one of the pairs is rounded off. The second pair will only ne rounded off on the sides.. kind of hard to explain, will be easier to see once they are assembled

FJ

Comment

I decided to go for the port that is only rounded on the sides, and just completed the port structure. The port is somewhat narrower and just a bit higher than the provided recipe, so i had to do adjustments to port length.

I did some router work on the port structure to mainaintain correct box volume and at the same time having a rigid structure. Ended up looking pretty cool

Comment

Last few days have been busy, so not a lot of time for building. By making small adjustments to the spare cabinet I will make them fit the Overnight sensations I had already made woofer/tweeter cutouts for the speedsters, so I have remade the baffles for the OS design.

It will be fun having a direct comparison between the OS, the Speedsters and the ZD5's

FJ

Comment

Looks great! Nice work on the slot details, I'm looking forward to your results, I'm also in process on the ZD5 and the Speedsters.
                    --Derek

Comment

Ditto Deschu. I like the cabinet with the rounded ports, but I think you'll be very happy with either one!

Comment

Thanks guys! It's winter and cold here now, so I have to figure out how to put on primer and laquer... But first: sanding, sanding, sanding

Comment

Hey!

This has kind of become both an OS and Speedster build thread as the thread has progressed I cut some holes in the OS boxes today. Gonna be some mean small speakers

FJ

Comment

Recommendations on treating the mdf edges so they don't show after finishing?

Comment

Oh I like the look of the slotted OS! Very nice. Just finished a pair of front ported OS, but would have considered going slotted after seeing this.

Comment

Working...
                              X