Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easy ZMA and T/S Parameters Using The LIMP Module in ARTA - An Illustrated Guide

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5. In the Loudspeaker Parameters – Added Mass Method dialog box:
    1. The frequency shift is 30% with the 20g, so within the recommended limit. Add or subtract weight as required to ensure the shift is correct and re-measure if necessary.
    2. Use the DMM to measure the Voice Coil Resistance (Ω) of the speaker and enter the value in this box.
    3. Enter the piston diameter in cm by measuring from mid-surround to mid-surround.
    4. Enter the value of the mass used.
    5. Click on Calculate Parameters.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LIMP Pic 10.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	1313093
    Last edited by hongrn; 01-03-2017, 07:59 PM.
    Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
    ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
    LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
    Sonata Soundbar Project
    The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

6. The complete parameters are now displayed. Select Copy to copy the parameters and paste into Notepad or a word processor to be saved, or enter the values into your favorite box design program to start calculating box volume.

Name:	LIMP Pic 11.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1313095
      Last edited by hongrn; 01-03-2017, 07:59 PM.

LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
      Sonata Soundbar Project

Comment

I hope you find this thread useful. Please let me know if there are errors. The forum does not let me upload a 2.5MB pdf, so if you wish to have this set of instructions on one document, please email me at hongrn AT sbcglobal DOT net. Thanks..

Hong

LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
        Sonata Soundbar Project

Comment

This is fantastic, thanks Hong! Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
          Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
          Wogg Music
          Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

Very good write up and info. A question; how might the tolerance of the 100 ohm resistor effect the accuracy of results?

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post
              Very good write up and info. A question; how might the tolerance of the 100 ohm resistor effect the accuracy of results?
              It would be a good idea to pick one with the least tolerance. I had a whole bunch of 100 ohm resistors, so I picked the one that measured 99.96 ohms.

LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
              Sonata Soundbar Project

Comment

Very nice.
                Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

The only thing I would add is it is worth tweaking what you enter for the resistance value based on LCR measurements. To get it accurate, you may have to change it a few ohms up or down. My LCR measurements using LIMP match my measurements using my DER EE LCR meter within 0.1%. With a correct setup and using pink noise, LIMP is as fast and accurate as any of the turn-key solutions out there. The "estimate DCR" feature, however, is hit or miss. I am going to investigate it further and see what can be done about that.

I use a Soundblaster X-Fi now - I had built a setup using a cheap soundcard but after some time I wanted more accuracy below 40Hz and the El-cheapo exhibited some drift down low. My next step was one of those Behringer Uphoria cards (forget the model number - 204 maybe?), but that thing was a noisy POS.

My only real complaint about LIMP is the lack of ability to store more than one overlay in memory. Otherwise, it is a very nice bit of software.

Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Excellent addition to the knowledge base Hong!

Couple of very minor nits:

when the test is running, I never click on "stop" - the prog stops automatically when it reaches 20Khz.
                      I've read that the drive needs to be in a horizontal position (magnet down, cone up) and securely fastened to the table or desk.
                      I've used clamps or made a little jig that I mount the driver into.
                      Won't your free weights on the cone bounce around too much for accuracy? I've always attached weights (nickels) to the cone using
                      blue tape or 3M blu tac putty.

Please forgive any implied criticism - you have contributed a very nice and useful guide.

regards

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                      "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                      SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                      My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

So very clear and concise, even I can follow it with no problem! Thanks.

Comment

If your weights "jump" (or even if the driver jumps, which a lighter driver w/a strong motor - like neo, WILL do - unless you hold it down somehow) you'll see it 'cause the Z-plot won't be smooth - it'll have "wiggles" in it. Sometimes I might add like 4 nickels around the dustcap - but the plot won't be smooth. Most of the time adding another nickel or 2 is all it takes to smooth it out. I usually just hold pressure down on the driver frame w/a free hand.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Don, please don't be so apologetic about chiming in. I love your feedback man! You don't have to click on Stop when you use the Stepped Sine generator. In my write up, I use the Pink Noise generator, which runs continuously, so you'd have to click on Stop. Another advantage of the continuous Pink Noise is that the signal is small, so it doesn't seem to make the weight jump and subsequently distort the plot. Here are the plots for the added weight (red line), and the same weight secured to the cone with double-sided tape (black line). Anyway, I'll add the tape suggestion to the write up just to be on the safe side. Thanks guys and please continue to post your comments.

Name:	Taped Non-Taped Weight.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1313247

LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
                            Sonata Soundbar Project

Comment

You can set it to do a single burst of pink noise so you do not have to manually stop it, as well.
                              Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                                You can set it to do a single burst of pink noise so you do not have to manually stop it, as well.
                                What's the setting? Thanks Johnny.

LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
                                Sonata Soundbar Project

Comment

Working...
                                X