3fe22 extension

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3fe22 extension

So I've been trying to squeeze down a BT radio into as small a volume as possible while getting nearly full range and while using a new driver or something different from what others have done.

The FaitalPRO 3fe22 looks like a real winner. High sensitivity, full range output, seemingly adequate low end extension, small and lightweight.

My question is, what kind of low end can I pull from this driver? I see the optimum enclosure size, is this the best balance of extension and spl? Any one use this driver or can see if more is capable? Otherwise I'll go with what's listed....
    Thanks!
    Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

I haven't modeled it, but would imagine that limited 1.83 mm X-max is gonna come into play if you try to use it full range. How loud are you looking to get?
    My "No-Name" CC Speaker
    Kerry's "Silverbacks"
    Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
    The Archers
    Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
    The Gandalf's

Comment

It might be able to approach 80Hz in 0.06 vented cf, but it can only take 5w.
      Also, the rated sens. of 91dB seems a bit suspect. WinISD calcs it to more like 87dB (modeled the 8ohm vers).
      Didn't look at the FR, but SOMEtimes a driver gets a higher SPL rating due to an elevated mid/top end. That would kinda kill off chances to get baffle step out of it.

Comment

Well if that 91 sensitivity is wrong, it kind of makes it moot. 😕

I thought if the sensitivity panned out and the xdamage was really 7+ that it would work well.....

Might as well use something else....
        Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Joey, have you looked at the new DSA drivers? They might be a better fit for you. They could look pretty snazzy rear mounted like you did with that last build. I cant remember the name of the thread, but it's the one where you built the baffle out of purpleheart wood. Here's a link to the 3" version. Sure you know it, but they carry it in several larger sizes also. http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...8-ohm--295-522

If you could live with it, the 4" has much better linear travel and will dig a little deeper as well. http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...oofer--295-524

And of course, PE is out of stock on both right now. Should be back in a couple of weeks though. Good Luck!
          My "No-Name" CC Speaker
          Kerry's "Silverbacks"
          Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
          The Archers
          Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
          The Gandalf's

Comment

Kevin, that 3" looks damn near perfect if I could get it in a smaller enclosure.... it seems nothing performs close to the likes of the nd91 and ns3 in a slightly smaller space..... was hoping to get down in the .06 cubic foot (for stereo) range with decent extension.

Guess I may just go that route....but that dsa is on the list...

Comment

What about the ne65w with a PR? What size PR would I need?

Comment

JB - there is a guy over on the DIYAudio forum that is all over these small FaitalPRO drivers. You might want to look at a few of his posts. His uses the name xrk971.

I just checked - there is at least on ethread on this driver. It is called "Anyone try the Faital Pro 4FE32 or 3FE22?"

Sausage With Meat Sause, Please

Comment

I did read that thread! Kind of supports ditching it. 😕 I think the ne driver is a winner overall.....

Comment

There's probably a few people thinking about the ND91 for the 3L InDIYana'17 contest. I am. Maybe this thread is already related...

Scott Sehlin's Heliums use the ND91 and TomZ's Bantams use one with the 830878 passive radiator in a .04ft^3 Denovo cabinet, but I haven't seen response plots for this configuration and those all have tweeters.

I also looked at the RS100-4, DS115-8, CF120-4, and the W4-2089, Seas H1207-08 L12RCY/P, and some others. The W4-2089 has crazy low extension but it's pretty much a sub only and has very low sensitivity (as do the other Tang Band RBM-based units). Not that I mean to claim that I know what I'm doing! There's a number of mentions out there about using 2x PR's/woofer of similar size, and Dayton has a 6.5" PR as well, but now things are getting BIG.

I will, however, be disassembling an ND91-8 soon and CV impedance testing several of them if that kind of information is useful. The Folks in Brown have them now.

Tang Band also has some very small speaker "modules" with an integrated PR, but they are still low sensitivity, and not cheap for their size.

Under the thread of doing something different, the TEBM35C10-4 has some crazy properties for a full ranger, it's "new", and Dennis Murphy uses one of their drivers (maybe the TEBM46C20N-4B) in his "BMR Philamonitor" speakers. The 35C10-4 has more bass extension than the larger 46C20N-4B, and is half the price.
                    --Derek

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                      It might be able to approach 80Hz in 0.06 vented cf, but it can only take 5w.
                      Also, the rated sens. of 91dB seems a bit suspect. WinISD calcs it to more like 87dB (modeled the 8ohm vers).
                      Didn't look at the FR, but SOMEtimes a driver gets a higher SPL rating due to an elevated mid/top end. That would kinda kill off chances to get baffle step out of it.
                      The FR graph is pretty flat at 90 dB. Is the WinISD SPL model 4pi space while the Spec.'s - FR Graph 2 pi space?

Comment

I THINK WinISD would also be 2pi, but it's a box modeler, and doesn't pretend to guess what might go on in a driver's upper octaves. I believe its sensitivity rating would be valid in the bass range (lowest 4 octaves, anyhow). The OP didn't say if he's lookin' at the 4n or the 8n driver. They BOTH exhibit almost a +10dB rise from 250Hz towards their top end. If he intends to run them FR, AND wants bass out of the thing (and needs BSC) then they both look pretty close to 87/90dB near 250Hz, but BSC would lose -6dB below that. The 4n MIGHT be around 90dB at 2.83v, but that's at 2w, AND the 4ohmer probably won't do 80Hz like the 8n vers. Either way, their limiited Xmax would make their bass output W-A-A-Y less useful than, say, Dayton's ND91 series.

Comment

I was looking at the 8n due to extension and smaller space necessary. But it's still larger than I wanted 😕 The ne65 is more toward what I'm looking at as far as space, decent extension, and spl should be adequate for intended use. Also, if it follows the success and excellence of the other ne line of drivers, should have great sq. I plan to have 50w per driver available.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                            I THINK WinISD would also be 2pi, but it's a box modeler, and doesn't pretend to guess what might go on in a driver's upper octaves. I believe its sensitivity rating would be valid in the bass range (lowest 4 octaves, anyhow). The OP didn't say if he's lookin' at the 4n or the 8n driver. They BOTH exhibit almost a +10dB rise from 250Hz towards their top end. If he intends to run them FR, AND wants bass out of the thing (and needs BSC) then they both look pretty close to 87/90dB near 250Hz, but BSC would lose -6dB below that. The 4n MIGHT be around 90dB at 2.83v, but that's at 2w, AND the 4ohmer probably won't do 80Hz like the 8n vers. Either way, their limiited Xmax would make their bass output W-A-A-Y less useful than, say, Dayton's ND91 series.
                            I put the T/S in Response modeler. It shows 90 dB above 200 Hz. I wonder if RM is also showing 2 pi space? Either way, low end bass is non-existent given baffle step.

Comment

Someone care to double check if my winisd work is accurate and optimal?

For that ne65w I'm getting .02 cf @ 88hz. Seem ok?

Comment

Working...
                              X