Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experience with the 3 or 3.5 inch subwoofers???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experience with the 3 or 3.5 inch subwoofers???

I'm looking at a small counter top build and am thinking of using one of the 3 or 3.5 inch subs PE offers

http://www.parts-express.com/cat/sub...%5D&PortalID=1

along with two small full range drivers and the Lepai LP-168HA.

http://www.parts-express.com/lepai-l...tput--310-308#!

Has anyone used any of the small subs? I want to keep the overall size to a minimum; thus, the small subs.

Thanks,
    Mike
    "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    My Current System: Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, and Carmody Sunflowers
    My Garage System:Marantz 2238B and Nano-Neos

The compromise is a very low sensitivity.
    "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
    “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
    "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
      The compromise is a very low sensitivity.

Thanks Sydney. I'm willing to live with low sensitivity, especially since this is somewhat of an experiment too. I'm wondering if anyone has experience and can recommend one over another.
      Mike
      Bismarck, North Dakota

Comment

You may be able to take one sub that's a tad larger and set it up as opposed to the 2 tiny ones. You could likely save some ching and get a little bit better output.

The SD of one Tang Band w6 is almost 3 times the SD of one of the 3.5s, sensitivity is 6 DB higher and Xmax is 4.5 mm longer.

Not to mention it's only $8 more than one 3.5.....

Comment

I have a W3-2088SOF and it's an absolute beast. I used it in a 3L enclosure with a 6.5" PR for an F3 in the lower 40s if I recall. It can't really compete with the W5-1138 because there is so much less Vd, but if you absolutely need a sub as small as the W3, you'd be hard pressed to find one more capable or with better specs. I tried pretty hard to kill it, but I couldn't.

The major downfall of this particular driver is that it is almost impossible to mount. There is only about a 1/8" mounting flange and almost no gap for rear airflow if mounted conventionally. The plastic housing is not well suited for rear mounting either, although this may be the more reasonable route. I think there is a similar model woofer that shares the same cone and motor in a larger frame, but now you're getting close to W5 size.

Dan
          The Hurricanes
          The Baronettes
          Conneccentric
          UX3

Comment

Originally posted by DanP View Post
            I have a W3-2088SOF and it's an absolute beast. I used it in a 3L enclosure with a 6.5" PR for an F3 in the lower 40s if I recall. It can't really compete with the W5-1138 because there is so much less Vd, but if you absolutely need a sub as small as the W3, you'd be hard pressed to find one more capable or with better specs. I tried pretty hard to kill it, but I couldn't.

The major downfall of this particular driver is that it is almost impossible to mount. There is only about a 1/8" mounting flange and almost no gap for rear airflow if mounted conventionally. The plastic housing is not well suited for rear mounting either, although this may be the more reasonable route. I think there is a similar model woofer that shares the same cone and motor in a larger frame, but now you're getting close to W5 size.

Dan
            Thanks Dan. That's what I was looking for! Good to know about the mounting issue too. I want to stay small because I want to see what I can get from a small counter top system. I already have two of the T1-1942SB drivers. No enclosure is needed for these little guys, so that leaves me a lot of latitude for imagination. I'm not expecting "audiofool" sound, but something half-way decent is probably doable, especially considering the application for which I plan on using it.
            Mike

http://www.parts-express.com/tang-ba...-5-16--264-934
            Bismarck, North Dakota

Comment

I used the W3-1876S in about 2-2.5L with a pair of the Peerless 830878 3.5" passive radiators, with a little added mass. Attached is the measured FR of the system. It really reaches low for such a tiny system, but as DanP noted with his system, the sensitivity is really low, and you run out of xmax in a hurry when you start to crank it up. It's great for small space/nearfield listening where SPL isn't a big concern because it really fills in the lower octaves when paired with a pair of small desktop speakers. The 1876S is easy to mount too as it has a traditional basket design and plenty of room to breath on the back side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=1313950&d=1483758001.png
Views:	2
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	1315242

I've never put a finish on this box, but I really should do a simple write-up on it as several people have been asking about "micro subs" lately.

Comment

Originally posted by 1100xxben View Post
                I used the W3-1876S in about 2-2.5L with a pair of the Peerless 830878 3.5" passive radiators, with a little added mass. Attached is the measured FR of the system. It really reaches low for such a tiny system, but as DanP noted with his system, the sensitivity is really low, and you run out of xmax in a hurry when you start to crank it up. It's great for small space/nearfield listening where SPL isn't a big concern because it really fills in the lower octaves when paired with a pair of small desktop speakers. The 1876S is easy to mount too as it has a traditional basket design and plenty of room to breath on the back side.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n1315242[/ATTACH]

I've never put a finish on this box, but I really should do a simple write-up on it as several people have been asking about "micro subs" lately.
                Thanks for the info. Once Dan mentioned the issue with mounting, I started looking at the W3-1876. I've been giving a lot of thought on how I would mount the W3-2088. I'll kick it around for a little while. It might be worth trying one of each.
                Thanks again!
                Bismarck, North Dakota

Comment

How big do you want to go?

I've got a project brewing called 'Goosebump' for the 1876 that I've not completed yet and have had back-burnered for a bit. It's a tiny bandpass for the 1876 that yields more output, even if not as low as conventional methods.

Later,
                  Wolf
                  "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                  "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                  "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                  "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                  http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                  http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I built Wolf's microdot sub and feel it has excellent potential if it can be fed more power than the Lepai 2.1 amp provides. With that amp the lows are quite muddy and distorted. I have a PE 25 W plate amp on its way to me and hope that will improve things a lot.
                    Also, 1100xx Ben, any info about effectively sealing the PE 25 W plate amp and what weight you finalized on for the passives in your microdot project would be appreciated. Wolf suggested I add 2 500mF capacitors to mine and they are on their way to me to install when I build an new box to take the plate amp.

Comment

Working...
                    X