No announcement yet.

Design Team Build: The Boomsticks - 2.5 way tower with 4 x RS100-8 and ND25F

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Design Team Build: The Boomsticks - 2.5 way tower with 4 x RS100-8 and ND25F

"Yeah. All right, you primitive screwheads, listen up. See this? This...is my BOOMSTICK! It's a 4" quad woofer tower, S-Mart's top-of-the-line. You can find this in the electronics department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Retails for about $299.95. It's got a MDF stock, brushed aluminum and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart. YA GOT THAT!?"[/I] These will be a high WAF tower using 4 x RS100-8 and one ND25 per side. They are only 5.5" wide and at 40" tall, come in right around 19L net internal volume. They have a look of small lifestyle systems but should hit mid 40s and have decent output with the 4 drivers. I was originally planning on cutting these when I went home for Christmas in my dad's woodshed, but some unforeseen issues came up and we couldn't make it back home. Instead, the parents came up here. So I ended up sketching these up and getting the cabinets CNC'd by Kevin K. They'd be easy enough with basic tools to complete, with the exception of the aluminum ring. I added that because I was thinking about swapping out the ND25 with the Morel CAT 408 (been wanting to try it) at a later date and an MDF ring would have been too thin, but it also looks cool. Anyway, here is the 3D model of what they will look like when finished.

I've already got them glued up. I tried using som flex seal to deaden the cabinet walls, but don't think I would go that way again. Didn't seem to do much and is kind of expensive. The pictures don't show the whole thing together, but I've been filling and priming for paint already. I put the Rockstar can in the picture to try and give a sense of size. These appear much smaller in person than the pictures seem to indicate. When I showed my wife, her response was "these might be keepers. They are nice and unobtrusive!"
    -Kerry

I Love it!

Re: aluminum ring: a 3D-printed (plastic) insert could be an easy alternative if the builder has access to a printer. The recess could also be used to slip in a carefully cut (or laser cut) felt ring, if the acoustic effects thereof are desired.
    (Just thinking out loud)
    --Derek

Comment

Must be nice having a CAD guy with access to a CNC in your back pocket. Looking forward to following your progress on this Kerry and can't wait to hear em at MWAF. Best of luck on the build!
      My "No-Name" CC Speaker
      Kerry's "Silverbacks"
      Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
      The Archers
      Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
      The Gandalf's

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin K.
        Must be nice having a CAD guy with access to a CNC in your back pocket. Looking forward to following your progress on this Kerry and can't wait to hear em at MWAF. Best of luck on the build!
        Must be 😜 Oh, I still need to send you your files for the esoteric and rs28.
        -Kerry

Comment

Speaking of CAD programs, is there any weak consensus for what people are using in the "community" (SketchUp, Fusion360, OnShape, all seem like reasonable options to me vs. $$$ SolidWorks or 2D Draftsight, etc.)
          --Derek

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post
            IIRC, you routed your array baffle by hand(?). I'd be a dissed too.

Comment

Also, looking forward to your xo thoughts and approach....thinking about a similar design with RS125T drivers and TBD tweeter.
              --Derek

Comment

FUN TIMES!

Wow, that looks like what I've been thinking about - lots of medium size woofers in a small tower.
                I'm sort of leaning towards the RS paper drivers.

BTW, very terrific intro to the build thread. This forum needs a little humor.

re: "unobtrusive"
                Can't deny that many, many woman like skinny speakers.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post

IIRC, you routed your array baffle by hand(?). I'd be a dissed too.
                  Had I routed the array baffles by hand, the carpal tunnel would be setting in right about now. I must confess, they were CNC'd. Kerry and I have worked on several projects together now. Was just giving him a hard time because this was essentially a knock down kit I cut and shipped while he was still working on his previous project. He's still working on getting his basement set up as a shop so I've been helping in the interim.
                  My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                  Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                  The Archers
                  The Gandalf's

Comment

Originally posted by deschu View Post
                    Speaking of CAD programs, is there any weak consensus for what people are using in the "community" (SketchUp, Fusion360, OnShape, all seem like reasonable options to me vs. $$$ SolidWorks or 2D Draftsight, etc.)
                    SketchUp is free, hard to beat for the price. Solidworks is aimed at business's and priced that way. IMHO, a good beginners program for the money is Fusion360 although it wouldn't make a lot of sense to purchase if you don't have plans to cut parts on a CNC or some other equipment that could benefit from importing the CAD files. If you're just looking to do basic renditions with basic dimensions, SketchUp will cover all the bases and again, it's free. Good Luck Derek!
                    My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                    Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                    The Archers
                    The Gandalf's

Comment

Sorry, I should have been clearer---I've got almost 20 years of experience in SolidWorks professionally (and it is my CAD of choice), but it's not for DIY due to the cost. SU, F360, and OnShape are all free for open and/or non-commercial work and I've used all three (and CATIA and Pro/E, also not free!).

I don't know jack about the speaker building community though, so I figure that if I'm going to participate, I probably ought to use common/preferred tools (much easier to share that way), so that's why I was asking....

To be very clear (to others), this is NOT meant as an OT CAD preference war, I'm just wondering what most people are using and/or if there's any movement/desire to standardize.

From my qualitative observations, SketchUp appears to be the most common, but that doesn't mean it is...
                      --Derek

Comment

Haha! Love the intro too! Looks cool, I like the design and look forward to the updates.

Comment

Originally posted by deschu View Post
                          Sorry, I should have been clearer---I've got almost 20 years of experience in SolidWorks professionally (and it is my CAD of choice), but it's not for DIY due to the cost. SU, F360, and OnShape are all free for open and/or non-commercial work and I've used all three (and CATIA and Pro/E, also not free!).

I don't know jack about the speaker building community though, so I figure that if I'm going to participate, I probably ought to use common/preferred tools (much easier to share that way), so that's why I was asking....

To be very clear (to others), this is NOT meant as an OT CAD preference war, I'm just wondering what most people are using and/or if there's any movement/desire to standardize.

From my qualitative observations, SketchUp appears to be the most common, but that doesn't mean it is...
                          Here on the Forum, Skethup is the clear favorite.
                          My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                          Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                          The Archers
                          The Gandalf's

Comment

Thx!
                            --Derek

Comment

And I thought I was the only one that could quote all the cheesy lines from AoD!
                              See my projects on Instagram and Facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X