X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kevin K.
    replied
    Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
    And Kevin... it's only a 15 hour drive or so, right? I'm looking at over 10 hours myself. Sleep? who needs sleep?
    TomZ
    Only 15 hours! If I was a truck driver, the "Only" part of that wouldn't bother me. Have some other projects in line after the arrays and wouldn't have time to put anything together to enter at Indiana. Sure would like to attend though. If I can talk myself into the drive, do you think the guys would mind if I brought the Arrays?

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied
    Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post

​.....It's great that PE gives us a gasket on these drivers pre-installed, but it's pretty thin, and on the 140's I can see where it would not be too hard to get an air leak due to the large screw-to-screw distance. I've done on one of my ND105's before, can be maddening! I actually made another gasket out of black craft foam for one of them that just didn't seem to want to sit right. I must have also bent the frame enough to keep it from sitting correctly.

TomZ
    re: gaskets
    After messing around for years with various kinds of weatherstripping for mounting drivers, I searched Amazon and found some
    self-stick 1/8 inch neoprene in convenient widths, and reasonably priced. Solid product - sticks tightly, peels off in one piece if you need
    to redo it, and compresses and seals perfectly. Much better than any craft foam.

and yeah, I used some ND91s in a boombox, and the metal is just a little too thin.
    Those drivers beg to be rear mounted.

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Originally posted by ---k--- View Post
    Tom,
    Thanks for sharing the bass response model. It appears reasonable for the drive/box size. Though, I must admit I was wishing those PRs had more magic extension.

The frames on my ND140 is the same as my ND105. Sounds like the same as on the ND91. Which isn't a problem when used correctly.
    Yeah, I was hoping for a tune in maybe the high 50's, but low 60's is about the best it's going to do in this iteration. More weight on the PR's extended the knee down to the mid 50 Hz range, but also dropped the total output from 50 to 70 Hz or so relative to the rest of the output. I don't think they could take much more weight as it is anyway, but at least I looked into it.

Why does the front baffle need to be removable?
    It doesn't need to be really. Mostly, I'm just not in love with the idea of exposed screw/bolt heads on the front of the baffle. I've done that once and it's not as clean of a look as I like to have.
    Plus if I rear-mount the woofers - which I'm likely to do - it will be a bit easier to get that done with the baffle removed.

It sure is a bit of extra work, though! And I'll have to be careful tightening the baffle or those little maple side thingy's are popping off!

And Kevin... it's only a 15 hour drive or so, right? I'm looking at over 10 hours myself. Sleep? who needs sleep?

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Why does the front baffle need to be removable?

Leave a comment:

• ---k---
    replied
    Tom,
    Thanks for sharing the bass response model. It appears reasonable for the drive/box size. Though, I must admit I was wishing those PRs had more magic extension.

The frames on my ND140 is the same as my ND105. Sounds like the same as on the ND91. Which isn't a problem when used correctly.

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Originally posted by djg View Post
    A "Mad deal", lol.
    Hey, I drop a few Easter eggs in there from time to time...

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    A "Mad deal", lol.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin K.
    replied
    Crap, more stuff I would really like to see and hear going to Indiana! Cool concept and I bet they sound awesome for their size!

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Originally posted by howard View Post
    Looks like a great project, Tom.
    ​Thanks Howard. I think the trick with making this one look special will be in what veneers/wood I use. Might need to ask the wife to get it right.

Originally posted by donradick View Post
    Very nice!
    I'm sure these will become a popular new standard.
    ​Gracias!

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
    Tom's turning into quite the mean mini-speaker machine!
    I gotta stop doing that, my fingers are far to fat for this stuff.

Originally posted by ---k--- View Post
    Very cool project.
    Can you share you box models. I'm curious about the tunning your getting from the ND91 with the PR.

Also, is the frame on those ND91s similar to the ND140? They look thicker in the photos, but it could just be the perspective. I ask because, as everyone heard at the last DIY Chicago, I had some issues. I tightened the screws a bit too hard and warped the frame ever so slightly. It created the most fun air leak I've ever heard. On the deep bass passages, it sounded like someone was playing a trombone.
    ​Mr. K, here is a bit of information on that:

​This design specifies heavy stuffing. Also, the PR's do not have any weight added. I tried adding and subtracting weight from these in my sim, but the stock weight was really the best.

​I have not used the ND140's, but I have used the ND105's. I'm pretty sure the 91's and 105's at least are the same gauge metal - and possibly your 140's as well. It's great that PE gives us a gasket on these drivers pre-installed, but it's pretty thin, and on the 140's I can see where it would not be too hard to get an air leak due to the large screw-to-screw distance. I've done on one of my ND105's before, can be maddening! I actually made another gasket out of black craft foam for one of them that just didn't seem to want to sit right. I must have also bent the frame enough to keep it from sitting correctly.

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post
    I vote for rear mount with a hardwood baffle - love the front roundover in wood.
    Thanks, me too. I'm going to try it if I have room with all the tweeters and woofers and things.

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    Very neat build initiation, Tom! Just a note about pricing for those reading this, since you intend to compete...
    The driver prices to be used for the entries are to be non-sale prices, and PR's are included. Not saying you can't use on-sale items, just that the total price is to be calculated with daily retail pricing.

Have fun! I bet those will be really cool!
    Wolf
    ​Thanks for the clarifications. I assumed exactly what you stated, but it's nice to hear it for sure. I'm really looking forward to being part of the fun this year.

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
    Tom, you do some bangin' work bruh. Keep it up. Love the design and the sexy standoffs.
    ​Thanks a lot. I hope I can stuff a couple of crossover bits in there at least!

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• joeybutts
    replied
    Tom, you do some bangin' work bruh. Keep it up. Love the design and the sexy standoffs.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    Very neat build initiation, Tom! Just a note about pricing for those reading this, since you intend to compete...
    The driver prices to be used for the entries are to be non-sale prices, and PR's are included. Not saying you can't use on-sale items, just that the total price is to be calculated with daily retail pricing.

Have fun! I bet those will be really cool!
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Millstonemike
    replied
    I vote for rear mount with a hardwood baffle - love the front roundover in wood.

Leave a comment:

• ---k---
    replied
    Very cool project.
    Can you share you box models. I'm curious about the tunning your getting from the ND91 with the PR.

Also, is the frame on those ND91s similar to the ND140? They look thicker in the photos, but it could just be the perspective. I ask because, as everyone heard at the last DIY Chicago, I had some issues. I tightened the screws a bit too hard and warped the frame ever so slightly. It created the most fun air leak I've ever heard. On the deep bass passages, it sounded like someone was playing a trombone.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Roemer
    replied
    Tom's turning into quite the mean mini-speaker machine!

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied
    Very nice!
    I'm sure these will become a popular new standard.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X