No announcement yet.

Bantams MTM Underway...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These are pretty close to being ready for measurements.

On the Bantams I used foam speaker gasket foam tape to mount the tweeters, but this time I gave the electrical tape another shot. I was able to get it mounted with either 3 or 4 wraps, can't quite remember -- cutting the seam on the 'ghosted bump' of the beginning of the first layer. I finished up with some flexible caulk speaker gasket stuff that PE sells. It sealed perfectly.

I had to cut the gasket that came with the ND-91's to get rid of the 'ears' for the mounting holes.

Then I used about 1/4 of the 1/8" gasket tape to create a very small area of foam for a gasket. Then I cut down on the thickness with a razor blade so I wouldn't have to stress the mounting tabs on the cabinet when I torqued it down. I had some cracking on the center ones the first time I tried it... (fixed it with super glue) so I wanted to create less 'pressure' to be exerted. I wish PE would start selling thinner gasket tape; it would really make life much easier for me.

So this is what it ends up looking like:

and the back with it's 12 mounting screws:

I felt like I was torquing down the head of a 350 Chevy small block with the back. Again I used a very thin width of gasket tape and cut most of it away for a tight seal without over-doing the torquing down process.

I have about 8-9 coats of wipe-on poly on them and I used Rustoleum painters touch on the back. Two quick coats at one shot.

Just under 12" tall... just enough wiggle room to put a few thin felt bumpers on the bottom; and I do mean thin. I cut it close with the height.

I'd really like to get all the crossover bits in the base compartment, but we'll see.

I have a few leaks on where the back mounts because like an idiot I put the gasket tape on the outside of the screw attachment points instead of the inside... (duh) I'm too tired, making some mistakes so I'm stopping for the morning. Hopefully I can get this one buttoned down and ready to fire up my Omnimic later tonight or Monday.

TomZ
    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Looking good.

Comment

those look great! I wish i could make it to DIY Indiana.

Comment

Looks great, Tom!
          -Kerry

Comment

Looks fantastic. It should sound fantastic. I might try making the original Bantams but my woodworking skills preclude me from trying to make the Bantams MTMs.

Comment

Thanks guys.

RonK, My woodworking skills preclude me from building these MTM's also to be honest... if you only knew.

Really, I wouldn't build a set of these exact speakers again if you pointed a gun to my head. WAaaaaaaaayyyy to hard. The minutia is mind boggling for me. I was trying for a certain 'look' but within the constrains of the rules for DIY Indiana coming up in a few weeks... most notably 'nothing larger than what would fit in a 12" cube,' and 'max interior volume of 3 liters.'

After the dust settles I'll hopefully get a box plan together for these that doesn't require removable front/back with hidden fasteners, 2 cabinet gaskets, trimming driver gaskets... heck, trimming driver frames for that matter... All this was done to 'make it fit' and get just the look I wanted.

It can be done mostly as nice, and much easier... and I'll get to that in a few months if they are fairly well accepted or if I think they deserve it sound quality wise....Lord willing. The "non DIY Indiana" version should also dig a bit deeper probably as well, but not by much.

TomZ
              *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
              *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Maybe, parts express can sell the Bantam MT kit. They have the Denova box, so all they need is to cut the holes into the Denova box and package all the drivers and crossover. There is no readymade box for the MTMs. The front and sides of the Bantam MTM are gorgeous.

Comment

Since the Denovo boxes are stocked, and it's a 'Design Team' build, they indeed have that option.

I think both are pretty cool anyway,
                  Wolf
                  "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                  "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                  "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                  "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                  http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                  http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Those are really nice.

Comment

I absolutely love how these are super clean yet have an exotic flair to them..... like a Lamborghini or koeniggsegg..... so much going on but beautifully constructed and finished.

As always Tom, great execution...
                      Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Thanks an awful lot, guys.

I haven't had a chance to take any measurements yet, but I did hook the woofers up with a small coil to calm the midrange down a bit and gave a listen to check for a good bass alignment with the PR's. Check. Sounds pretty decent and even has a 'punchyness' to the sound if you stand right in front of them close enough. Funny to see two 5" PR's in action with just a duo of 3" drivers making them go. Passive Radiators make me happy. I think I'm a weird guy.

I think I'm for sure going to bring the original "Bantams" to Indiana also... if for nothing else than to just let the guys feel how heavy they each are for their size.

TomZ

Comment

I'd like to hear the Bantam TMs as well. (In fact- they could compete as well if you wished to.) I don't think you could pack them any more full without adding sand or concrete. 'Project density' is also something that increases when dealing with the itty-bitty-booger speaker builds.

As to PRs, yes- you've used a lot of them! I've used my fair share as well, but I don't opt to use them over a port if the port gets the job done with the results I wanted. It's that price/performance thing. $2 piece of PVC vs $80 PR in some cases...

Later,
                          Wolf
                          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

They look great Tom!!! Nice work.

Comment

Tom did you use the same crossover from the bantam TMs?

Comment

That's a definite 'no'. The doubled up drivers will have an impedance shift, and therefore at the very least change some of the values.
                                Later,
                                Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Working...
                                X