X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Originally posted by bill poster View Post
    Curious if you had any probs offsetting the AMT tweeter? I think it's a great design btw.
    Thank you sir.

These were designed for a particular size constraint, so I had to squeeze the drivers in the only way they would fit, and this was really the only way possible with the base that I wanted to use. If I put them in straight vertically, the drivers wouldn't have fit.

To answer your question... yes, it was really tight in there. Had I not been using strong hardwood for the front baffle, I'm pretty sure I would have broken those little pieces of wood between the woofer openings and the tweeter hole just in handling and machining/sanding it. This box was just way to overengineered and complicated. I can tend to do that, but this time I think I just went too far.

Again, I have lots of respect for the guys who do the DIY Indiana builds and can follow the constraints and still make something amazing... that's outs my league!

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• bill poster
    replied
    Curious if you had any probs offsetting the AMT tweeter? I think it's a great design btw.

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Originally posted by Deadeye5589 View Post
    Hi Tom,

Thank you for the heads up. So you would not advise to build those mtm Bantam. Shame the design really did look sleek with the back mounted speakers. The high WAF was a reason why I would have liked to build a pair for my office desk. Maybe I go with the original Bantam instead, but I fear that they are a little bit underpowered for my 2.1 setup.

BR Chris
    I think I could have done more with the crossover and flattened it out a bit. Honestly, I didn't think they sounded bad, but I would have liked to do a little bit more tinkering with the crossover. They were in a tupperware container hanging from the back of the speaker -- not finalized and installed. I've never done that before, but I just wasn't 100% sure that I liked the result enough to call it 'done.'

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• Deadeye5589
    replied
    Hi Tom,

Thank you for the heads up. So you would not advise to build those mtm Bantam. Shame the design really did look sleek with the back mounted speakers. The high WAF was a reason why I would have liked to build a pair for my office desk. Maybe I go with the original Bantam instead, but I fear that they are a little bit underpowered for my 2.1 setup.

BR Chris

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Originally posted by Deadeye5589 View Post
    Hello Tom,

I had to dig out this topic since I find you mtm concept very interesting. I would like to combine this Bantams with my Aliante subwoofer. Since the last update was a few years ago, did you finish the crossover design and could you share the values?

Best regards
    Chris
    You know, shame on me, but I never did finalize a crossover for these. There are a few reasons for this, but suffice to say that I probably won't get to it for some time.
    I think I would have been better off just going with the original Bantam's for that DIY Indiana event as I compromised this design just a bit in my opinion.

I didn't love the effect the rear mounting had on the woofers -- there were some diffraction issues that didn't exist on the original flush mounted Bantam's speaker system. Also, I should have gone larger on the internal volume for one thing... Just tried to make it work for that particular DIY event and I probably shouldn't have.

The guys that can do these Indiana designs and stay within the criteria while getting excellent results are doing some amazing problem solving and driver/enclosure work in my opinion.

I could get these sounding pretty good I think, but I have other things I need to finish up first. I'm sorry about that.

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• Deadeye5589
    replied
    Hello Tom,

I had to dig out this topic since I find you mtm concept very interesting. I would like to combine this Bantams with my Aliante subwoofer. Since the last update was a few years ago, did you finish the crossover design and could you share the values?

Best regards
    Chris

Leave a comment:

• imakethings
    replied
    Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
    No, I started from scratch for these basically. These use the 8 ohm version of the ND91...I still haven't finalized the crossover for these. Not that they sounded bad last year in Indiana, but I think I may try to revisit the crossover again to see if I can possibly simplify things a bit. I think I can get the tweeter crossover parts in the base, then just have the woofer crossover bits to attach to the rear baffle. It's been awhile since I've even listened to them, gotta get back to these soon. TomZ
    Thanks! I think these will make a good portable radio that would spend most its time in a bedroom.

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Originally posted by imakethings View Post
    Tom did you use the same crossover from the bantam TMs?
    No, I started from scratch for these basically. These use the 8 ohm version of the ND91...I still haven't finalized the crossover for these. Not that they sounded bad last year in Indiana, but I think I may try to revisit the crossover again to see if I can possibly simplify things a bit. I think I can get the tweeter crossover parts in the base, then just have the woofer crossover bits to attach to the rear baffle. It's been awhile since I've even listened to them, gotta get back to these soon.

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    That's a definite 'no'. The doubled up drivers will have an impedance shift, and therefore at the very least change some of the values.
    Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• imakethings
    replied
    Tom did you use the same crossover from the bantam TMs?

Leave a comment:

• MLS
    replied
    They look great Tom!!! Nice work.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    I'd like to hear the Bantam TMs as well. (In fact- they could compete as well if you wished to.) I don't think you could pack them any more full without adding sand or concrete. 'Project density' is also something that increases when dealing with the itty-bitty-booger speaker builds.

As to PRs, yes- you've used a lot of them! I've used my fair share as well, but I don't opt to use them over a port if the port gets the job done with the results I wanted. It's that price/performance thing. $2 piece of PVC vs $80 PR in some cases...

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Thanks an awful lot, guys.

I haven't had a chance to take any measurements yet, but I did hook the woofers up with a small coil to calm the midrange down a bit and gave a listen to check for a good bass alignment with the PR's. Check. Sounds pretty decent and even has a 'punchyness' to the sound if you stand right in front of them close enough. Funny to see two 5" PR's in action with just a duo of 3" drivers making them go. Passive Radiators make me happy. I think I'm a weird guy.

I think I'm for sure going to bring the original "Bantams" to Indiana also... if for nothing else than to just let the guys feel how heavy they each are for their size.

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• joeybutts
    replied
    I absolutely love how these are super clean yet have an exotic flair to them..... like a Lamborghini or koeniggsegg..... so much going on but beautifully constructed and finished.

As always Tom, great execution...

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Those are really nice.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X