Curing Speaker Pop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curing Speaker Pop

Well, my a adventure continues on building my own speaker (ammo can). I switched amps and bluetooth modules to the Sure AA-AB32178 (https://www.parts-express.com/sure-e...3116--320-3342) as my amp and the Sure AA-AB41136 (https://www.parts-express.com/sure-e...2-vdc--320-351) as my bluetooth module. There is a loud pop in the speakers when I turn the amp on (and a quiet one when I turn it off) and there is a loud pop when I turn the bluetooth module off (and a quet one when I turn it on). The bluetooth module is hooked to the amp via RCA cables, and I have a 3.5mm input to the board as well. I only bring up the board because when I have a device hooked to the 3.5mm jack, the popping is reduced.

Is there a way that I can reduce this?

Typically manufacturers will add a delay start speaker protection relay. Google "Time delay speaker relay", I found a few pre-built board options out there.
    Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
    Wogg Music
    Published projects: PPA100 Bass Guitar Amp, ISO El-Cheapo Sub, Indy 8 2.1 powered sub, MicroSat, SuperNova Minimus

Comment

Try a dpdt toggle switch on the speaker output on one leg. It's not the ideal solution, but it will keep your speakers safe durning power up.

Comment

Originally posted by wogg View Post
        Typically manufacturers will add a delay start speaker protection relay. Google "Time delay speaker relay", I found a few pre-built board options out there.
        I'm assuming that one of those relays would be attached to each output or do I need to bypass something on the board itself?

Comment

The Sure amp has a provision for "Mute", see the manual. The power sequence needs to be: (1) mute on, power up, then mute off, and (2) mute on then power down.

That's how it works on my board (but different mfg, different amp chip).

Comment

I built a Sprite boombox for a friend last summer that used the same Bluetooth board your using along with this http://www.parts-express.com/sure-el...-only--320-330 amp. I don't remember any poping issues with that combo, maybe it has a soft turn on/off feature.

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post
              The Sure amp has a provision for "Mute", see the manual. The power sequence needs to be: (1) mute on, power up, then mute off, and (2) mute on then power down.

That's how it works on my board (but different mfg, different amp chip).

+1. Your amp has Vcc, Mute and ground available. See post #308 in the link for a RC network that should work.
              Got two Sanwu TPA3118 blue amps today, and tried them immediately - a simple "dual mono" configuration, using a stereo pot on the input,
              "Everything is nothing without a high sound quality." (Sure Electronics)

Comment

So in order to use the mute feature of this board, I would use a switch connected to the mute and ground pins, correct? Also, what is the VCC pin?

Ernperkins, here is the picture from the link you posted, what would be the equivalent of PLIMIT on my board (mute, stay, VCC, Gnd)? Also, what is the purpose of that circuit or rather how does it work?

Looking again at the page for the board, I wonder if half of this could be solved with my rewiring my setup. Currently I have a master's switch that cuts power to everything (usb charger, Bluetooth module, led lights, and amp). The Bluetooth module and usb charger have their own individual switches that allows them to remain off when the main switch is on. If I changed the main switch to be hooked to the stand by of the board, that might cure my problem (except now my leds would remain on, unless I could hook them into the stand by circuit as well).
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff F. View Post
                  I built a Sprite boombox for a friend last summer that used the same Bluetooth board your using along with this http://www.parts-express.com/sure-el...-only--320-330 amp. I don't remember any poping issues with that combo, maybe it has a soft turn on/off feature.
                  I tried that amp/bluetooth combination as well based on Gordy's Madeleine build and I didn't have any real popping issues as well. I went with the other amp as I need some more volume output since my ammo can will be both indoor and outdoor (funny thing on that is it's too loud with the Bluetooth so I'm waiting on parts to put in a volume switch but that's a different story).

As for my post above, disregard my first question since the quest ed was asked and answered on the amp's Q&A section so I'm good there.

Thank you to everyone that has provided input so far and any additional input is more than welcome!

Comment

Actually, you may want to use the amp's "Standby" instead of "Mute" with the toggle switch. This is how it was done on my TPA3116 amp (different design/mfg) This puts the amp in standby mode were it draws micro amps. YOu could leave power on all the time and use the toggle to get sound (like an instant on TV of yore, always drawing minimum power even when turned off).

Comment

Actually, you may want to use the amp's "Standby" instead of "Mute" with the toggle switch. This is how it was done on my TPA3116 amp (different design/mfg) This puts the amp in standby mode were it draws micro amps. YOu could leave power on all the time and use the toggle to get sound (like an instant on TV of yore, always drawing minimum power even when turned off).
                      So for "Standby" mode, the switch would be turned to the "on" position to trigger this mode, correct? I'm only trying to think of how I can use that configuration and still have a string of 3 led's to turn on with it (why did I have to go fancy with this?).

Currently I have the Bluetooth and a string of 3 led's hooked up to one of the electrical outputs to the amp and the positive lead going to a switch so I can turn the Bluetooth on and off. I imagine that I'd be safe if tapping into that same outlet with one more string of 3 led's so when the board is taken out of standby, the lights turn on like they do now.

Comment

Originally posted by Elendil View Post

So for "Standby" mode, the switch would be turned to the "on" position to trigger this mode, correct? I'm only trying to think of how I can use that configuration and still have a string of 3 led's to turn on with it (why did I have to go fancy with this?).

Currently I have the Bluetooth and a string of 3 led's hooked up to one of the electrical outputs to the amp and the positive lead going to a switch so I can turn the Bluetooth on and off. I imagine that I'd be safe if tapping into that same outlet with one more string of 3 led's so when the board is taken out of standby, the lights turn on like they do now.

I'm not sure if I grasp your exact configuration ... You could use a DPST toggle switch on the amp's standby, one pole to activate the standby/on and another to turn LED(s) on and off.

Comment

Originally posted by Elendil View Post

I'm not sure if I grasp your exact configuration ... You could use a DPST toggle switch on the amp's standby, one pole to activate the standby/on and another to turn LED(s) on and off.

Comment

The DPST would have worked after I thought about it. I didn't like the idea of something draining my battery after a time, so I went with the mute switch. It adds another step to turning it in and off, but it avoidseems the embarrassing sudden loud music because the volume is up too high on my device.

Once again, thank you to all that provided me feedback regarding this! I'm waiting on one more part to arrive and I'll be calling this project done (for now) and I'll snap some pictures and add it to the projects area of this forum.

Comment

Working...
                            X