No announcement yet.

Making 93% of a Tarkus, One Whole Armadillo, and Fumbling Along the Way

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought I would try a 3-post connection from the bass cab to the MT cab. Using separate "hot-posts" but a common ground post. The wires are split inside from the common ground. Hopefully the pics explain.

Then, it was priming time on my tiny patio! It takes a long time to do all of this because with such a small space, I have to completely clean/reset/wait for one step to complete before starting the next.

Comment

Sanded down the primer/sealer; did about 3-4 coats. I used the Zissner BIN and love the stuff. I bought a cheapo HVLP gun from Harbor Freight and it worked fairly well. You'll probably notice the additional speaker cabs (not tarkus) hanging in the previous photos. I wanted to get a super even coat on those (speedsters) since I may just spray clearcoat on top of the BIN once sanded smooth, etc.

Anyway, I decided on white duratex for the final finish. Since these will be in the living room, I didn't want a giant texture, but I also didn't want a pure orange-peel look, since that tends to look unintentional.

Also, I just thought I would try some stuff. I ended up applying it with a 1/4" nap roller, and then applying 2 more coats with a 1/2" nap roller. It created a really cool texture without being super chunky or raised. The photos make it look rougher than it is, but it look intentional yet subtle in person. Surprisingly happy with it.

Comment

I went with a binding post plate on the back, right below the port. I probably spent too much on the plate/posts, but I think it looks cool

You can see the trio of taped-up posts at the top that will be used for connecting the MT cabs. The threads are all that stick out from the MDF, so I taped them up for painting.

I stuffed the MT cabs, got everything wired, and they are ready for the drivers!

I haven't taken those photos yet - hopefully will have these buttoned up by the weekend.

Comment

I got the drivers in, and did a frequency response check. The tarkus is the first file, the Armadillo the second.

The Tarkus looks beautiful, as is standard for Mr. Carmody. Not to bag on the Armadillo or her designers, but the frequency is kind of all over the place. I was worried about this during initial testing before painting/gluing, but oh well I guess.

Since it is the center and will just be used for dialog, I don't think it will matter a huge amount, and I can probably hammer it into partial submission with a PEQ in the receiver.

Any thoughts on the response and how to tame it? Ignore anything below 250 as this was done in a bad location, but they are both mic'd at 1M and from the exact same location, so any nulls/modes should be roughly the same. I was just surprised at how different the responses were.

Any input would be hugely appreciated!

Comment

Regarding the center, here it is in it's 'area'. I'm building a grill to go over the whole gap, with acoustic fabric stretched over a frame. You can see the messy work around the tweeter cutout. This was because i knew it was gonna be hidden behind a grill and also because I keep taking the tweeter out to see if I can do anything about the rising response. The front is raised on 1/2" rubber bumpers to angle it better towards the listening position(s).

Ultimately it probably isn't the end of the world, and again, EQing it should (hopefully) help.

You'll notice the temporary GE soundbar above it lol.

Next time I'm gonna do external crossovers :P
            Last edited by ScenesFromAHat; 03-15-2017, 04:00 PM. Reason: edit: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by ScenesFromAHat View Post
              I got the drivers in, and did a frequency response check. The tarkus is the first file, the Armadillo the second.

The Tarkus looks beautiful, as is standard for Mr. Carmody. Not to bag on the Armadillo or her designers, but the frequency is kind of all over the place. I was worried about this during initial testing before painting/gluing, but oh well I guess.

Since it is the center and will just be used for dialog, I don't think it will matter a huge amount, and I can probably hammer it into partial submission with a PEQ in the receiver.

Any thoughts on the response and how to tame it? Ignore anything below 250 as this was done in a bad location, but they are both mic'd at 1M and from the exact same location, so any nulls/modes should be roughly the same. I was just surprised at how different the responses were.

Any input would be hugely appreciated!

I'm wondering if the polarity on the mid in the Center Channel needs to be flipped.
              Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
              Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post

I'm wondering if the polarity on the mid in the Center Channel needs to be flipped.

I tried that, but the response didn't really change. I'll try it again tonight and see what happens. Would that really have an effect on the rising tweeter response though?

Comment

Working...
                X