Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Horrible (audio) experience at local bowling alley!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horrible (audio) experience at local bowling alley!

Took the little girl to a birthday party, at local bowling alley. She had a great time, the tons of flashing lights, her friends, cake, bowling and pizza.

The bad. They were playing loud music, the entire time, and I could barely stand to stay there it was so "Bad" sounding.

I looked and saw they had several "pro" type speakers across and above every lane 6 in total.

They looked to be mabye 12" woofers and some type of horn for the highs. A typical loud, DJ party speaker, too hard to see brand or anything else with the cosmic bowling lights flashing.

But to the sound. It had great bass at first, and was quite loud. As soon as a singer began singing, I was acutely aware of unreal amounts of woofer break up and distortion.

IT was as any vocal that was round 1000hz ( which is most all) simply had ear shattering break up. It was not the amps or the the overall volume, but simply unreal amounts of cone break up.

I was wondering why would this go unchecked with even the lamest of speaker manufacturers/? I mean it was beyond unlistenable, but simply hurting my ears almost painfully, it was so pronounced.

I have heard many pro systems that were QUITE listenable at high levels, without this huge break up and distortion.
    It sounded like 15 decibels of huge woofer break up, overriding all the rest of the sound, that was somewhat okay otherwise.

Every vocal sounded like they boosted the 1500hz about 15-20 db it was rough!!

Could have just been cheapy pro speakers being overdriven. Decent pro woofers that make it up to crossover with a horn are expensive, and lots of installations just demand "loud and wide" from their speakers.
    Francis

Comment

A lot of them have some basic EQ options. Likely a combination of bad setup and being over driven. It would pain me, but I'm pretty sure I could make great speakers sound bad with a horrible setup and EQ.

Comment

Originally posted by generic View Post
        A lot of them have some basic EQ options. Likely a combination of bad setup and being over driven. It would pain me, but I'm pretty sure I could make great speakers sound bad with a horrible setup and EQ.

Gonna look more into it, next time I am there. I have never been there for the cosmic bowling, or party thing they do for kids, so honestly never heard the party room speakers until now.
        mentioned it to an older gentleman that worked there and he seemed to think the kids like "Loud music", I asked if he did, and all he said was " oh it loud, they like it" I think he could not hear that great....LOL

I am more curious now, having heard similar sized Pro speakers that sounded very good, what was so wrong with this set up.
        I am not exaggerating at how horrible it sounded.
        I had a non audiophile neighbor woman confirm it sounded nearly unlistenable, so it was not me being picky or having an off day. She said it was excruciating and was horrible also..

Comment

I see nothing wrong with saying something to management. Ask who is in charge of audio system and who installed it.
          If it were a place that i frequented, i would offer to help if i could.
          I fixed the stereo set up at my work. :D

Comment

Honestly I won't pay the high prices for concerts because of this same issue. Many times the distortion is horrid, and you never know if it is actually going to sound ok or not. I'll just listen to the studio album at home instead. That's not me being a snob, I mean... I can tolerate a set of CVs or many other 70s-90s coffins cranked through the roof on a decent amp at ear splitting levels, even if I find them a little bright and forward sounding. I like loud, but not distortion.. nor do I like muddy or too bright.

I suspect this issue is more to do with over driven amps with some extra thrown in from the speakers. I've heard many JBL's, EV's, EAW's and more putting out the same sound you describe. A lot of pro audio guys refer to JBL as (j)unk (b)lasting (l)oud, and although not perfect... I can think of many speakers that are far worse.

Comment

Originally posted by make_some_noise View Post
              Honestly I won't pay the high prices for concerts because of this same issue. Many times the distortion is horrid, and you never know if it is actually going to sound ok or not. I'll just listen to the studio album at home instead. That's not me being a snob, I mean... I can tolerate a set of CVs or many other 70s-90s coffins cranked through the roof on a decent amp at ear splitting levels, even if I find them a little bright and forward sounding. I like loud, but not distortion.. nor do I like muddy or too bright.

I suspect this issue is more to do with over driven amps with some extra thrown in from the speakers. I've heard many JBL's, EV's, EAW's and more putting out the same sound you describe. A lot of pro audio guys refer to JBL as (j)unk (b)lasting (l)oud, and although not perfect... I can think of many speakers that are far worse.
              I feel exactly the same way.

I went to a Dave Matthews concert at the Marcus Amphitheater at Summer Fest (big outdoor music fest here in Milwaukee) about fifteen years ago.

I knew going into it that the sound quality may be terrible, I wasn't prepared for how bad it would be.

The "engineer" kept trying to compensate by cranking it louder. Almost 2/3 or 3/4 of the way through the concert, I'm able to witness a white van pulling into the service drive and parking next to the building. About a minute or two later, a guy shows up at the console, communicates something to the guy at the board, then grabs some sliders and drops the SPL substantially.

And boy did it immediately sound awesome. Plenty loud, crystal clear, really a stark contrast to what we had been listening to.

Comment

Originally posted by kevintomb View Post
                ...I looked and saw they had several "pro" type speakers across and above every lane 6 in total.

They looked to be mabye 12" woofers and some type of horn for the highs. ...
                No brand name?
                Fits the description of a lot of cheap 2x cabs.

"Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

I'd bet most of the problem is with whatever is driving these speakers, I suspect you would find something totally unsuitable like an old home receiver with the volume wide open or maybe the mixer is totally redlined. Speakers that are overpowered enough to sound like that just don't last so I suspect something upstream is heavily distorting but the overal power levels are still within spec for the speakers.
                  Paul O

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
                    No brand name?
                    Fits the description of a lot of cheap 2x cabs.

They had that "Cosmic Bowling" lighting going, Lasers, flashing lights, etc. They were mounted on the ceiling and angled down a bit, honestly could see they "Had" a name badge, but could not even begin to read it, as they were in shadows, no lighting going onto the boxes themselves.

I am very familiar with the affordable "Peavey" sound systems, and they are vastly superior overall.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul O View Post
                      I'd bet most of the problem is with whatever is driving these speakers, I suspect you would find something totally unsuitable like an old home receiver with the volume wide open or maybe the mixer is totally redlined. Speakers that are overpowered enough to sound like that just don't last so I suspect something upstream is heavily distorting but the overal power levels are still within spec for the speakers.

I could see the set up in the far corner, but it was surrounded by party stuff and kids, so was not able to walk up to it, and the lighting would make it nearly impossible to really see much. Flashing lasers and so on.

I will go back on a non party day and check it out and talk to management. I dread doing this though, as often the managers friend or uncle will turn out to be the "Sound" guy that set it and and adjusted everything....lol

Comment

2 black boxes hanging from ceiling.....I know bad lighting! Click image for larger version

Name:	20170204_130329.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	482.0 KB
ID:	1318696

Comment

Good luck, I hate sound like that as well. But when you listen to the horrible bass at astounding levels being blasted from cars all the time, you realize people have no idea what good sound is, and they don't care much.

Comment

Originally posted by kevintomb View Post

I could see the set up in the far corner, but it was surrounded by party stuff and kids, so was not able to walk up to it, and the lighting would make it nearly impossible to really see much. Flashing lasers and so on.

I will go back on a non party day and check it out and talk to management. I dread doing this though, as often the managers friend or uncle will turn out to be the "Sound" guy that set it and and adjusted everything....lol
                            Worse yet, they may not understand what you are trying to tell them. A lot of people have no idea what clean, undistorted audio sounds like.
                            Francis

Comment

I installed 1200 watts rms into my car with 3 amps.
                              I went through car and removed all rattles.
                              5" components up front, 8" midbasses, and a really nice 15".
                              People would make fun of my car because i installed all that stuff, and you could barely hear it outside the car with windows rolled up.
                              One older master car audio installer was only person to compliment me on such a clean, quality system. :D

I dont bother to even discuss audio with people, unless they are looking for info, or where to get info...
                              I know i'm an audio nerd.

Offer to tune the system for a little lane time. :D

Comment

Working...
                              X