Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eminence Factory Tour

Hey guys,

I finally had the chance to take a tour of the Eminence factory yesterday and it was a very cool experience. Jerry, Chris, Matt and Cobi were all really nice down-to-earth guys, as well as the factory workers we spoke to. It's not every day you come across not only one, but a group of guys that you just immediately get along with especially when it comes to a supplier.

I snapped a few pics which you can see in the slideshow link below. If you have any questions about the way they do things I can do my best to answer them.

http://s1254.photobucket.com/user/pe...Factory%20Tour

We are hoping to have a few new (and a few old) models coming from our Kentuckian neighbors soon so keep your fingers crossed.

-MP
    Your results may vary.

Great pics Matt. What is the reason why they don't do hi-fi woofers and just specialize in pro woofers? Thanks.

Hong
    Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
    ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
    LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
    Sonata Soundbar Project
    The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

Some smaller companies (e.g., not $1B) are successful staying in their market niche. While Eminence could likely design and build some very nice home audio drivers, that's not all there is to it. There's marketing,sales, supply chain management costs not to mention some fairly steep compeiution entrenched in the market.

Comment

Now I know what the holes in the backplates are for! Paint-line hangers. I've been wondering that for awhile now...

Later,
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Thanks for sharing this. It's great to see things like this being produced in America.

The first raw subwoofer driver I ever bought was a 12" square-magnet driver... I was probably 15 or 16 years old... so 30 years ago or so.

TomZ
          *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
          *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Very cool. I've had the opportunity to tour several factories in my years- it's always a hoot and there are always clever solutions that you wouldn't have thought of. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Thanks for posting, good pictures.
              John H

BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim ,Aperivox,

Comment

There's a video on youtube about a their factory tour also, very cool.

Comment

Originally posted by hongrn View Post
                  What is the reason why they don't do hi-fi woofers
                  They do, as OEM, in significant numbers.

www.billfitzmaurice.com
                  www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by hongrn View Post
                    Great pics Matt. What is the reason why they don't do hi-fi woofers and just specialize in pro woofers? Thanks.

Hong

Hong,

As Mike stated they started and basically maintained a niche market. They do build several non-pro type OEM drivers (many of which we sold) and supplied dang-near most of the late 90's-early 2000's car audio woofers that were made in the US. IIRC a lot of the original JL woofers were built by Eminence, as well as some not-so-popular but good quality brands. Heck, they built several Pyle Dryvers, if you remember those. They can certainly build them, unfortunately the market for budget based home audio is going overseas.

-MP
                    Your results may vary.

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
                      Thanks for sharing this. It's great to see things like this being produced in America.

The first raw subwoofer driver I ever bought was a 12" square-magnet driver... I was probably 15 or 16 years old... so 30 years ago or so.

TomZ

Tom,

The first serious woofer I ever bought was a giant (at the time) 15" Eminence woofer, probably 17 years ago. That would make me 14ish at the time. I didn't have a clue what I was doing, but it was amazing! I'll never forget that white Eminence crown and logo on the dust cap. If not for that I might not have remembered it honestly. I do have a soft spot for Eminence drivers in my heart. I've owned and used numerous models since then.

-MP
                      Your results may vary.

Comment

Working...
                      X