Dayton DC28F specs and FRD discrepancy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dayton DC28F specs and FRD discrepancy

The current FRD file and response graph puts the SPL around 95db+, were as the spec sheet still has it at 89db. The old response graphs had it around 89db as well. What is correct? 275-070-dayton-audio-dc28f-8-silk-dome-tweeter-specifications.pdf

Yeah, that OMNImic plot is definitely NOT correct !

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
      Yeah, that OMNImic plot is definitely NOT correct !
      And the current FRD file matches it. I'm not sure if I should just knock off about 6 or 7db overall from the current FRD file or not use it at all. I wish I could find the old FRD file. I use to have it, once upon a time.

Comment

The copy of a PE supplied dc28f FRD file I have on this pc shows it has peaks around 95db and the top of the file says it was made in 2014. The pair of dc28f's I have sitting here on the shelf are about 10 years old, and the speaker I salvaged them from was a dual 8" two way configuration with the woofer section putting out about 91 db. When I built those speakers for a friend of mine way back when, I didn't need to pad the tweeter at all so I suspect the 89db is a correct figure unless there has been a change to the driver since my pair was produced.

Comment

I will test one of these tomorrow to verify which graph is correct. Off the top of my head, the current spec sheet shows it 6-7 dB hot and the .frd file will reflect this since it all comes from the same curve. I wish that thing was 95 dB sensitive... I will come back with updates tomorrow afternoon, stay tuned.

Thanks for the heads up, by the way.

-MP

Edit- I will also share the .frd files I measure tomorrow should the spec sheet and website links need to be updated.
          Your results may vary.

Comment

Yep, our current spec sheet is wrong and it will be updated soon. In the meantime here is what I just measured along with the .frd file.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?photoid=1319760.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	1319762
            Attached Files
            Your results may vary.

Comment

THAT looks a lot better! Appreciate the effort. I wonder why the current (soon to be old) .frd was so different. And why no one else noticed over the last few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Thump-Lump View Post
                THAT looks a lot better! Appreciate the effort. I wonder why the current (soon to be old) .frd was so different. And why no one else noticed over the last few years.

No problem. I honestly can't say why it wasn't noticed or mentioned before now.
                Your results may vary.

Comment

FYI....I also placed an inquiry to Dayton Audio. Have yet to hear back.

Comment

You might find that unnecessary, TL. Parts Express = Dayton Audio. Dayton Audio is PE's house brand.

Later,
                    Wolf
                    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by mattp View Post
                      Yep, our current spec sheet is wrong and it will be updated soon. In the meantime here is what I just measured along with the .frd file.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n1319762[/ATTACH]
                      What baffle dimensions did you use for your measurements?

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                        You might find that unnecessary, TL. Parts Express = Dayton Audio. Dayton Audio is PE's house brand.

Later,
                        Wolf
                        I know. I was just covering the bases.

Comment

Originally posted by Millstonemike View Post
                          What baffle dimensions did you use for your measurements?
                          These are taken on an infinite baffle.
                          Your results may vary.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, by the way.

-MP
                            If you REALLY want to thank me, you can have PE send me a couple DC28F-8 tweets.

Comment

No problem. I honestly can't say why it wasn't noticed or mentioned before now.
                              Here are a couple of more that need fixed Matt. The miniDSP 2x4 and miniDSP 2x4 HD have their images mixed up on the website. The HD version is the one that has Toslink and IR capabilities.
                              My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                              Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                              Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
                              The Archers
                              Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
                              The Gandalf's

Comment

Working...
                              X