Looking for Speaker Opinions and Caveats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Speaker Opinions and Caveats

Plain and simple. 1 week ago, bought Klipsch RP-280F towers and RP-440C Center Channel on sale. Just under $1330 tax included. I still need to replace my bookshelfs with matching Klipsch RP bookshelfs likely of the 5 1/4" variation.

Just got an email from SVS Audio that they're selling gently used product. 2 Prime towers, 2 Prime bookshelfs, 2 Prime Satellites, 1 Prime center would cost me roughly $1700 instead... Then I'd just have to finish building my two subs.

This is all being ran from a Denon X3300W AVR.

First, what they said about the Klipsch RP series being smoother and not all that harsh is true. Having owned Klipsch in the pass, it's a noticeable difference. The towers and center channel have a 97 and 98dB sensitivity rating and boy does it show compared to the Polks they are replacing and even compared to the Paradigms at my friends house, these perform well from 20khz down to about 38hz without issue.

I'm a sound engineer and mix on Dynaudio BM5a, KRK VXT8 and Adam S3X-H. All of which I adjust to be warm, mids slightly forward, bass controlled and as little boominess as acoustically possible and I do not own or use a studio subwoofer.

So, no, these Klipsch are not incredibly flat and took a bit of manual EQing for the highs to sound natural and not just "less bright". So far so good and even my wife has complimented their sound. That being said, I know these are not $1500+\spkr and so I'd never compare them to such. I just want you to understand how my ear has been tuned and how well the Klipsch have actually been able to conform.

So the question stands. Stick with my Klipsch RP series and continue to build? Or get all the Prime gear at once and then worry about my subs being built?

Has anyone actually heard both of these? Opinions? Just want acoustically based opinions as it's not about the money...

I won't make your decision easier... maybe a little more difficult . My sister was looking for speakers for her newly finished basement, and didn't want to build anything... so based on hearing them at CES a couple years ago, I recommended the Wharfedale Diamond 10.7 towers. They're still on sale for $700 per pair, originally they were $1300. They sound fantastic, I'd go so far as to say they have a ATC SCM40 sound to them, but not quite as articulate. Well, well worth the money IMO. Google "Wharfedale Diamond 10.7" and you'll see where (I can't post a link).

I'm pretty sure the center and matching rears are deeply discounted as well.
    "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
    "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

Where are you located? This being mostly a DIY forum, you might be able to find one of our members local to you who can fix you up with something tailored to your room for less money than you'd spend otherwise.
      Mike
      "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
      Bismarck, North Dakota
      My Current System: Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, and Carmody Sunflowers
      My Garage System:Marantz 2238B and Nano-Neos

Comment

Originally posted by mattsk8 View Post
        I won't make your decision easier... maybe a little more difficult . My sister was looking for speakers for her newly finished basement, and didn't want to build anything... so based on hearing them at CES a couple years ago, I recommended the Wharfedale Diamond 10.7 towers. They're still on sale for $700 per pair, originally they were $1300. They sound fantastic, I'd go so far as to say they have a ATC SCM40 sound to them, but not quite as articulate. Well, well worth the money IMO. Google "Wharfedale Diamond 10.7" and you'll see where (I can't post a link).

Ahhhh... Dang, just couldn't be simple... Ok, I'll look into it, why not?

Comment

Originally posted by mikejennens View Post
          Where are you located? This being mostly a DIY forum, you might be able to find one of our members local to you who can fix you up with something tailored to your room for less money than you'd spend otherwise.
          Mike
          I'm in the DFW Metroplex... I'm not against DIY but I don't have the time to research and build myself... But ok sure, I'll bite

Comment

Anybody know anything about Fluance Signature Series? They look pretty interesting...

Comment

Hopefully a nearby speaker geek will reach out to you. A lot of us have several pairs built that are ready to go to a good home.
              Mike
              "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
              Bismarck, North Dakota
              My Current System: Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, and Carmody Sunflowers
              My Garage System:Marantz 2238B and Nano-Neos

Comment

Hopefully a nearby speaker geek will reach out to you. A lot of us have several pairs built that are ready to go to a good home.
                Mike
                I'm open to that idea...

Comment

Originally posted by mattsk8 View Post

Current sale $601 at Music Direct

Comment

Mike
                    Yeah, this is primarily a DIY forum. There are other forums that are better suited for answering queries about Klipsch loudspeakers. If that is what he likes, then that is what he should buy, because around here we try to excel when it comes to high fidelity loudspeakers.

Comment

AE..I second that!! I will never buy another speaker!
                      "PRAYING FOR JEFF BAGBY"!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsart View Post
                        AE..I second that!! I will never buy another speaker!
                        Thank you.

Comment

Just curious, what Polk model did you replace?

Comment

Originally posted by View Post

Yeah, this is primarily a DIY forum. There are other forums that are better suited for answering queries about Klipsch loudspeakers. If that is what he likes, then that is what he should buy, because around here we try to excel when it comes to high fidelity loudspeakers.
                            Does anyone else get this as a 'slight' to Klipsch? Not that I disagree, but I find it rather odd we are thinking along the same lines.

Ok, I Know we're not supposed to push the 'kits', but in this case, if he's "not against DIY", this may be a perfect case for something like the Amiga, Solstice, etc. If you can put together one of those cheap shelves form walmart, surely you can put together one of those kits.

Comment

Originally posted by View Post

And so I understand that this may be a DIY forum. That doesn't mean you audio heads don't have insight as to my query. Also, I'm handy with wood working etc, I just don't have the time. If any of you have something built that gives me the spacious clarity and dynamics that still produces decent music, by all means, change my mind.

It's not about Klipsch, it's about my ear and seeing as I had to do some EQ work but have found a good medium, fact remains I had to rely on my ear to get it right.

Don't be so quick to write me off sir.

Comment

Working...
                              X