Looking for Speaker Opinions and Caveats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mattsk8 View Post
    My friend has the Polk TSi500 speakers and I agree... not enough bass for such a "stately" speaker, and they're way too hot on top.

IMHO, you should go listen to DIY speakers before you start throwing $1k at a kit. Aside from that- do you have woodworking equipment? Because if not, that's a HUGE expense in addition to the kit (you will have to build them). Being in the Dallas area you should be able to find some guys here on the forum that would be willing to give you an audition. DIY speakers are (for the most part) going to have a more organic sound to them than what you're used to in store bought speakers. I'm not knocking store bought speakers at all, but you should listen to them before you buy them.

That said, I've heard the Solstice a couple times and (no offense to Jeff, because he has some phenomenal designs) I wasn't all that impressed for the money. But, that's not to say you won't thoroughly enjoy them, that's just my opinion. And going back to those Wharfedales I mentioned in the beginning here... those have great bass, some great sparkle up top, and really detailed mids. Do they have a "ruler flat frequency response"? I'm not sure, but they're fun to listen to none the less.

But regardless of "DIY" or "store bought"... your opinion is what matters (not ours), so I HIGHLY recommend listening before you buy, rather than taking our opinion about what's good or not good. Asking about which speakers sound good is a lot like asking about which food tastes good- by and large you'll get reasonably similar responses, but not always and that's what might separate a speaker you love from a speakers you've decided you can live with.
    I hear you but I'm not asking to be told what "sounds" good, I know better. I just explain my musical and theatrical taste, what I'm looking for out of a speaker and ask to be pointed in your opinionated direction and so far, that's what I've gotten. Thank you all!

Looking at the Wharfdales, cabinet size and weight alone concerns me. Have a feeling I'd likely need to look at the Wharfdale Diamond 240 or 250...

Comment

Originally posted by mattsk8 View Post

A discussion all by itself for sure... but without a doubt, I agree with your wife... the caveat in "hearing the difference" would be the source, equipment and the speakers (in no particular order) . And as far as speakers and equipment goes, my opinion about what sounds good, vs what doesn't has definitely changed over the past decade .
      There's actually a bit of simple science behind it. Male hearing range begins to drop off on the higher end of the hearing spectrum before women's hearing does. This is not every person but for the majority. Women tend to hear beyond 15khz where most men are working really hard to hear if anything at all by that point. So the crushing sound may not be as noticeable for men as it is for women.

On the flip side, most men hear clear down to 20hz (sometimes to 17-18hz) where women's hearing can drop off around 25hz. Problem is, this is so low that audibly, 95% of the time it makes very little difference. But, we'll be able to hear the nuclear bomb nearly as fast as we can feel it at least right? Lol

Then... There's freeqs of nature like myself who has been recently tested against the human audio spectrum who can actually hear from 19hz to 18khz. I soooo wish I could hear that extra 2 kHz though lol! I'm jealous af hahahahaha

Comment

TSG, have you been able to arrange a listen with some DIY'ers in the area? Are there very many 'Hi-Fi' shops in your area? Opinions are like ... well ... everyone's got one. This is my opinion, YMMV. Unless the Klipsch were some kind of limited time special price, and I was pretty sure I wanted to keep them, I'd visit every 'hi-fi' shop (local diy group?) possible and listen to their wears. I know this will take time, but IMO, if you are like me, frugal but very picky, and keep things around for a long time, it will be time well spent.

It's like ice-cream, so many flavours; some delicious, some not so much, everyone has their favorite, and it's hard, at least for me, to tell someone, 'you'll love this flavour', cause you may very well not love the flavour.

Sorry I couldn't be of more service. At least you have some good information, and links, to start the journey with.

Comment

Originally posted by Kornbread View Post
          TSG, have you been able to arrange a listen with some DIY'ers in the area? Are there very many 'Hi-Fi' shops in your area? Opinions are like ... well ... everyone's got one. This is my opinion, YMMV. Unless the Klipsch were some kind of limited time special price, and I was pretty sure I wanted to keep them, I'd visit every 'hi-fi' shop (local diy group?) possible and listen to their wears. I know this will take time, but IMO, if you are like me, frugal but very picky, and keep things around for a long time, it will be time well spent.

It's like ice-cream, so many flavours; some delicious, some not so much, everyone has their favorite, and it's hard, at least for me, to tell someone, 'you'll love this flavour', cause you may very well not love the flavour.

Sorry I couldn't be of more service. At least you have some good information, and links, to start the journey with.
          Haven't run into anyone in the area, so no I haven't. I was able to find a couple shops that I'll try to visit this weekend though.

The price was a "flash sale" at Frys where that same sale has not been duplicated anywhere else. I picked up a new pair of RP-280F for $410/spkr and the RP-440C for $384. Not going out of stock, just a temporary sale. The salesman said that their relationship with Klipsch is better than most and they often have sales randomly through Klipsch when no one else is. They even had the RP-115SW, normally $899 everywhere else, for $499.

Anyway, thanks, I'll do what I can with what time I have left.

Comment

Working...
          X