Hardest driver you've work with?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardest driver you've work with?

After I finish my current speaker, I will want another challenge. This time, I'm thinking of using a normally challenging driver, and get it working well with DSP.

So I'm curious, what are the hardest drivers you've know or worked with, and why?

EDIT: OK maybe not necessarily the hardest, but simply tough drivers to work with, and if they sound fantastic only after their problems are dealt with, even better!

Aluminum cones with big resonance peaks are a bit of a challenge.
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong

Comment

In a 2-way...
      HiVi M8A/M8N was a chore! +15dB peak at 2kHz breakup.
      BG Neo3 was a bit of fun too. Sssibilant or no-air, your choice.
      HiVi M4N was fun too. I used the BSC signature to better the response, and still needed a notch. Then the High-Qts makes for an interesting box alignment.

I think if you want a challenge, try the somewhat forbidden combo of the RS180-8 and the XT25TG30. Nobody has made this work and published it thus far to the best of my knowledge. It has been a talked about combo for ages.

Have fun!
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
        In a 2-way...
        HiVi M8A/M8N was a chore! +15dB peak at 2kHz breakup.
        BG Neo3 was a bit of fun too. Sssibilant or no-air, your choice.
        HiVi M4N was fun too. I used the BSC signature to better the response, and still needed a notch. Then the High-Qts makes for an interesting box alignment.

I think if you want a challenge, try the somewhat forbidden combo of the RS180-8 and the XT25TG30. Nobody has made this work and published it thus far to the best of my knowledge. It has been a talked about combo for ages.

Have fun!
        Wolf
        Why is the RS180-8 and the XT25TG30 a "forbidden combo"? The woofer seems to behave rather nicely. The only problem I see so far is the tweeter doesn't like playing low, but that would affect most woofers in a 2 way with the XT25TG30.

Comment

The woofer breakup kept it from playing high with it's metal cone breakup, and the XT25 couldn't play low with its rising HD and undamped resonance. Seriously- it's been discussed more than once.

Come on, 'active-boy', I wanna see you do it!

Later,
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by bcodemz View Post

Why is the RS180-8 and the XT25TG30 a "forbidden combo"? The woofer seems to behave rather nicely. The only problem I see so far is the tweeter doesn't like playing low, but that would affect most woofers in a 2 way with the XT25TG30.
            The resonances translate into harmonic signatures lower in the band. Crossing above 2000Hz is really a no-no with the RS180, and below 2500 with the XT 25 is also a bad idea.
            R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio

Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong

Comment

Annoying drivers that could use DSP; CF120, Tectonic HiBM65, compression drivers, open baffle bass drivers
              John H

BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim ,Aperivox,

Comment

Silverflute 5". No matter what I did, it sounded like a cheap, low-fi driver regardless of the measurements.

Comment

I would suggest one of the larger full range drivers that not only needs some BSC shaping but also some notching up high to tame the rising FR. Maybe a Dayton Point Source driver or a Fostex. Built in a TL cabinet you could also use the DSP to fix some of the ripple.

Comment

Originally posted by contoursvt View Post
                    Silverflute 5". No matter what I did, it sounded like a cheap, low-fi driver regardless of the measurements.
                    This is a good suggestion. In my experience, this was due to a hump around 800-1000 Hz. You can create a gentle notch filter to deal with this, but on such a cheap driver, you usually end up spending more on the parts for the filter than the driver itself.
                    Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                    Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

This is one of the hardest drivers I've ever worked with.

http://www.parts-express.com/tang-ba...river--264-898
                      Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                      Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
                        This is one of the hardest drivers I've ever worked with.

http://www.parts-express.com/tang-ba...river--264-898
                        Did you happen to listen to the 1611SA as a full-ranger? Lots of glorious reviews at parts express.

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander
                          Annoying drivers that could use DSP; CF120, Tectonic HiBM65, compression drivers, open baffle bass drivers
                          Another vote for compression drivers. Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
                          "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bcodemz View Post
                            After I finish my current speaker, I will want another challenge. This time, I'm thinking of using a normally challenging driver, and get it working well with DSP.

So I'm curious, what are the hardest drivers you've know or worked with, and why?

EDIT: OK maybe not necessarily the hardest, but simply tough drivers to work with, and if they sound fantastic only after their problems are dealt with, even better!

No offense, but I find this question a little pointless given that you are going to be using DSP, since most here are using passive crossovers. It's kind of like asking what is the hardest material to cut with a hand saw and then saying, OK thanks, I have this enourmous power saw with diamond cutting wheels. Not really a challenge anymore at that point and definitely won't be comparable to your last endevour.

Now with that said, I do think this is a great way to showcase some of the major benefits of DSP. Drivers that have linear distortion issues can greatly benefit from the flexibility in minute level adjustments you can make to shape the frequency reponse and would make an otherwise unwieldy driver easy to tame. It can also open up possibilities to use drivers in ways that weren't possible before due to response issues requiring a crossover at a certain point or an enourmous amount of crossover parts to make work.
                            -Kerry

www.pursuitofperfectsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post

No offense, but I find this question a little pointless given that you are going to be using DSP, since most here are using passive crossovers. It's kind of like asking what is the hardest material to cut with a hand saw and then saying, OK thanks, I have this enourmous power saw with diamond cutting wheels. Not really a challenge anymore at that point and definitely won't be comparable to your last endevour.

Now with that said, I do think this is a great way to showcase some of the major benefits of DSP. Drivers that have linear distortion issues can greatly benefit from the flexibility in minute level adjustments you can make to shape the frequency reponse and would make an otherwise unwieldy driver easy to tame. It can also open up possibilities to use drivers in ways that weren't possible before due to response issues requiring a crossover at a certain point or an enourmous amount of crossover parts to make work.
                              talk about pointless post, since when did you become moderator as to what is pointless or not when it comes to speaker building/design. pretty arrogant response.
                              craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Working...
                              X