Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deconstructing a cabinet?

Hey guys,

I was wondering if you had any tips about deconstructing a cabinet. I want to rip it open and pull out the otherwise non-removable crossover board. In particular, I was wondering if I could potentially salvage some of the MDF (or is it not even worth it?)

I'm pulling apart my Lineup F4-based boombox and putting together the "proper" bookshelf cabinets for it.

if you have a table saw, you can run the edge along the fence, if saving the MDF is your goal. I've done this on cabinets several times to take off an original baffle in order to fit a new one on.

Otherwise, I suggest an axe and some thrash metal.
    Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
    Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Pauls method with the table saw works best. If the joints are held with screws you could use a reciprocating saw, then try to square the pieces up after, or use an old blade.

Comment

Agree on the table saw. it works best and will make the straightest cuts. Otherwise, old speaker boxes make great bonfires.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
          if you have a table saw, ...
          I used a table saw to cut down a test box with a removable baffle to lessen the internal volume.

Comment

I'm going to see about salvaging what I can, but I think I won't worry if it all gets mangled.

Comment

On the other hand if you have a table saw , MDF is very inexpensive and much safer to cut flat sheets than a box.

Comment

I was able to extract the crossover from the box (the way I had mounted it required destruction of the box), but the MDF is questionable for reuse. I think I'm going to plan on using industrial strength velcro in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by scardeal View Post
                  I was able to extract the crossover from the box (the way I had mounted it required destruction of the box), but the MDF is questionable for reuse. I think I'm going to plan on using industrial strength velcro in the future.

I would just screw it in. If you used something thin like 1/2" mdf or something, just cut 4 small pieces of wood (one for each corner) and glue them to the back panel as stand offs then screw the XO board to those. Pieces of a 1x2 work wonders for this.

The velcro idea would probably work unless you ever move and have to transport the speakers etc.... The weight of any serious inductors along with the mechanical vibration of transport could make the XO board come loose, resulting in damage to the XO.... Or if the woofer is big enough that the holes in the basket allow the XO board to pass through you could end up with a damaged woofer cone.

Comment

You are talking about mounting the crossover board with the velcro and not building the box with it, right? That might make for questionable rigidity

Comment

Originally posted by blue934 View Post
                      You are talking about mounting the crossover board with the velcro and not building the box with it, right? That might make for questionable rigidity

Industrial velcro is pretty tough stuff and for something stationary he might be ok. My thought was that transporting it might be too much and it might come loose from the inside of the enclosure... Screws are always better than bailing wire and duct tape.

Comment

The velcro idea is to prevent the issue I had with the original, where I couldn't remove the crossover without destroying the box. I might see if it's feasible to do some combination of velcro and a single screw to secure it. I just don't trust a single screw to provide adequate support on its own.

Comment

Working...
                        X