open baffle rookie discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• open baffle rookie discussion

Was there any discussion about the 'open baffle rookie' project in the PE Projects Gallery?
    Your opinion?
    Improvements?
    Looks like a quick and dirty dip into the OB world to me...
    http://projectgallery.parts-express....baffle-rookie/

Premade crossover and tweeter placed close to the floor. Not exactly an optimum layout for a design imo. No performance data to see but i suspect we would see a pretty poor freq resp. He overcame the loss of bass by an increase in drivers, however without a sub or lower fs drivers these wont be playing very low at all.

It's a stepping stone design that will need significant work to be good. I am being brutally honest here and I do apologize for any hurt feelings that may cause. But it is based on facts and experience.
    https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

If someone is inspired by that design to build something then that's great. I would expect most people here would be disappointed by the sound. Improvements would be DSP, 28 mm tweeter at ear level, baffle to the floor, 6 centered drivers.
      John H

BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim ,Aperivox,

Comment

Look up the Manzanitas on the DIY Audio forum.

It is very easy.

Also, read about some of Martin King's work here: http://www.quarter-wave.com/OBs/OB_Design_Part_1.pdf
        Sausage With Meat Sause, Please

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
          If someone is inspired by that design to build something then that's great. I would expect most people here would be disappointed by the sound. Improvements would be DSP, 28 mm tweeter at ear level, baffle to the floor, 6 centered drivers.
          Thanks..,but why 6 ?

Comment

The more volume displace the higher spl at lower frequencies. Six 6.5 inch equal about one 15 inch. 12 per side would be even better
            John H

Comment

thanks!

Comment

Well then.....How about this one:

Budget Modified Open Baffle Towers
                http://projectgallery.parts-express....baffle-towers/

a better project?

Comment

Both Dan P and I did well documented OBs with measurements. Martin King did several popular budget builds as well. Look for a design that has measurements and custom built crossover.
                  Last edited by jhollander; 02-26-2017, 10:12 PM. Reason: bad spelling
                  John H

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
                    Both Dan P and I did well documented OBs with measurements. Martian King did several popular budget builds as well. Look for a design that has measurements and custom built crossover.
                    Martian made me laugh.
                    Sausage With Meat Sause, Please

Comment

Yesh, I hope he doesn't see that. Corrected...
                      John H

Comment

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...itan-budget-ob

Comment

Originally posted by Beau View Post

Martian made me laugh.
                          Maybe that is why he knows more than the average human

Comment

Questions... Would one 15" driver such as the GRS be suitable for use in a 12' x 14' room with the speakers out 4' from the wall. Should they be toed in? I have some leftover midbasses that are around 86 dB. I'm thinking 3-way.

Comment

One can work if you don't need the volume at low frequencies. It's all about volume displacement. You can model in ABC Dipole or Linkwitz spl_max1. With the Linkwitz file see the note about adding 6 dB for half space.

Toe in depends on the dispersion and FR of the high frequency driver
                              John H

Comment

Working...
                              X