X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gdmoore28
    started a topic Funny Observation on Speaker Wire

Funny Observation on Speaker Wire

No flames, please. I'm bored and was just reading an article by Roger Russell. He made this humorous observation concerning the claims made by uber-expensive speaker wire companies:

"We have been told by advertising that the exotic speaker wires offer fabulous advantages over ordinary lamp cord. It would seem reasonable that using this same wire for lamps would also enhance their performance. In the same vein as wire literature, you can have your lamp reproduce light with the full spectrum color fidelity of natural daylight, finally allowing you see light the way it should be seen and bring out the natural performance of your lamp. It could offer greater warmth, detail, brilliance, definition and speed by providing wider bandwidth and reduced skin effect. It can provide a distortion free illumination that reduces eye strain, resulting in clearer vision and optimal color perception. It can allow you to work for longer periods of time with less visual distraction or fatigue. Just imagine what it might do for your electric razor or microwave, etc.!"

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#cartoons

• Paul K.
    replied
    IMO, if two different cables have the same (within reasonable tolerances) measured resistance, capacitance and inductance, it doesn't matter what they're made of or how they look or how much they cost; it is illogical for them to "sound" any different. There are far more important areas in audio on which to spend one's money.
    Paul

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by mattsk8 View Post

I'm not willing to pay for it, that was my point, I actually just use standard zip wire. At best I might braid it or wrap it with Tech-flex because it looks cool (and I like banana plugs because they're easy), but I don't put any stock in any of the hype. If I had lottery money I would spring for some of the expensive wire/cables because it looks cool... but like I said, I wouldn't put much stock in earth shattering improvements to sound quality.
    When I said that I was willing to pay, it didn't mean that I would pay a lot! I like many others have made my own interconnects and I'm quite happy with them. I merely paid for the parts, materials. I always measure cables or such that I've put together, usually with very good results.

Leave a comment:

• dynamo
    replied
    I use some base model cables and interconnects from Analysis Plus. I bought them before I knew better about boutique cabling, however I got them at accommodation pricing, so between that and their entry level position in the line, I feel they were at least relatively reasonably priced, look nice, and are good quality with nice connectors on the rcas and bfas on the speaker wires. They aren't fancy or silver plated or diamond encrusted or whatever, just copper. I'm satisfied with what I have.

Otherwise I just look for good quality to price ratio, like finding true ofc lamp cord,which seems to be hard today. Last I bought was a killer deal on some nicer stuff from the shack when they closed several stores and clearanced everything.

My position on analog interconnects is that they can sound different, but expensive doesn't necessarily mean better..

Leave a comment:

• mattsk8
    replied
    Originally posted by View Post

​I try and take a moderate approach when it comes to cables and such. I'm willing to pay for low resistance, low inductance and low capacitance, but not for the name or the hype.
    I'm not willing to pay for it, that was my point, I actually just use standard zip wire. At best I might braid it or wrap it with Tech-flex because it looks cool (and I like banana plugs because they're easy), but I don't put any stock in any of the hype. If I had lottery money I would spring for some of the expensive wire/cables because it looks cool... but like I said, I wouldn't put much stock in earth shattering improvements to sound quality.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by mattsk8 View Post

I'm with you Pete. If I had a LOT of extra cash, I'd definitely spend some of it on wires- just because they look incredible and they're well thought out... not because I would be anticipating any earth shattering enhancements to sound quality.
    ​I try and take a moderate approach when it comes to cables and such. I'm willing to pay for low resistance, low inductance and low capacitance, but not for the name or the hype.

Leave a comment:

• mzisserson
    replied
    Originally posted by View Post
    C'est la vie!
    Oui' oui'!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    C'est la vie!

Leave a comment:

• mattsk8
    replied
    Originally posted by Pete Schumacher View Post
    There is really only one reason I would ever buy high priced speaker wire, and its ability to accurately deliver electrons to the voice coils and crossover components simply does not factor in one bit.

....snip

Best of all, it doesn't ruin the sound.
    I'm with you Pete. If I had a LOT of extra cash, I'd definitely spend some of it on wires- just because they look incredible and they're well thought out... not because I would be anticipating any earth shattering enhancements to sound quality.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied
    Originally posted by jhollander View Post
    Pete they look like belts and suspenders, kind of ironic.
    And they lay on the floor like cooked pasta. Super flexible. You can tell quite a bit of work goes into the assembly of each cable.

Leave a comment:

• jhollander
    replied
    Pete they look like belts and suspenders, kind of ironic.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Hopefully, since PE doesn't sell these, it is permitted.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003G4IM4S...d_i=1001250201

Leave a comment:

• thekorvers
    replied
    You nay-sayers go ahead and make fun of these type of cables. Of course they make a huge difference in the quality of the sound. I have experienced this myself! The only reason why you yourselves have failed to experience this is because you have plugged your power cords into a regular receptacle!

When using these type of cables, it is absolutely imperative to simultaneously plug your power cords into a special receptacle such as this:

http://www.parts-express.com/wattgat...utlet--110-439

Read the reviews of this receptacle and you will change your mind!

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Not to mention the hundreds of miles of aged, weathered power lines from the power plant to your house.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied
    What I find funniest about the speaker wire/power cable zealots is how they completely ignore the 100' of solid core copper in the inductors and voice coils between the speaker wire terminals and the 100' of Romex in the walls leading up to the wall socket.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X