Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

CC CMR vs Jupiter VT vs Jantzen Silver, Opinions Pls?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the Clarity MR in speakers, and CMR waiting for me to feel well enough to replace them.

I found the MR very natural and transparent, but.... the larger cap values really benefited from bypassing with Audyn TrueCopper caps. The smaller caps did not. Smaller meaning around 5uF or less.

The CMR should be better and eliminate this, but I am not near trying.

I agree that I also feel the Mundorf silver stuff unnatural. However, the cheaper MKP caps are a real bargain, if a bit dark, which is useful.

Best,

E

Comment

Add: The Mundorf MKP are an absolute steal for having amazing detail at low levels. It sounds contradictory, but they are also dark. The first is about time. You can hear room acoustics and instrument overtones with incredible detail, but this is not a result of being bright, which you may conflate at first. The MKP are not bright, but dark, but still when the string has been plucked and you hear it fade away into the room, you really hear how good these caps are, and at around $7 each a steal for boutique caps.

These makes them great upgrade caps for systems that seem bright or harsh.

Of course, you don't have to like them, or can think I'm a politician on the morning news. That's just my impressions.

Best,

E

Comment

Originally posted by fatmarley View Post
        Mundorf M-cap Supreme Silver/Gold/Oil sound a bit unnatural when used as coupling caps In my amplifier. Mids are smoother and darker than the standard M-cap Supreme but highs seem a bit OTT IMO. Also, the Supreme range always seem louder than other polyprops to my ears - Anyone else notice that?
        The Supremes have a really low ESR, at least in my experience.

I agree that Audyn Plus are very nice caps! They are made a lot like the Jantzen Silver/Superior in that they are double-wound to be non-inductive and in an aluminum tube- FOR A LOT LESS MONEY!!!

Murf- Sorry, I thought Al/Mg when I saw the 'Excel' word. I guess you have the Nextel-paper Hexadym jobbies. Let me go out on a limb and recommend the ASC 386X poly-oil caps. Other vendors supply them though. 15uF is a common value, and I like these a lot. They don't look the expensive part, but they sound really good.

Later,
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by ErikSquires View Post
          ... I found the MR very natural and transparent, but.... the larger cap values really benefited from bypassing with Audyn TrueCopper caps. The smaller caps did not. Smaller meaning around 5uF or less....
          I agree that I also feel the Mundorf silver stuff unnatural....
          Hi Eric,
          Funny, I have Audyn TrueCopper .68uf caps which I was going to parallel in the tweet to get to 5.5uf. A 4.7uf MR is fairly cheap, is right on your borderline of being too small to matter, but .68uf is too small to parallel with anything to get me to 15uf (or 14.9uf).
          I think I'll knock the Mundorf s/o off my list. Some folks say it's ****, but too many say Mundorf are over rated.

Murf

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
            ... Murf- Sorry, I thought Al/Mg when I saw the 'Excel' word. I guess you have the Nextel-paper Hexadym jobbies. Let me go out on a limb and recommend the ASC 386X poly-oil caps. Other vendors supply them though. 15uF is a common value, and I like these a lot. They don't look the expensive part, but they sound really good.
            Later,
            Wolf
            Hi Wolf,
            Yes, the hex jobbie Excel mid.
            Do you mean these caps, at $X.95ea. are, um, as good as the $$$ caps I'm thinking about?

Murf

Comment

Price isn't everything, but you might want to refrain from posting links, prices, and such from competitors.

To me, they stomped all over the Clarity SA I was comparing it to. It's worth a shot, at least in my opinion.

Later,
              Wolf
              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
              http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

LittleBear,

I think that will be the best possible combo and at the current sale prices for the MR's a steal.

Best,

E

Comment

LittleBear,

I just checked the prices. Before you buy, compare price of MR + Audyn to CMR alone. CMR may be as good or better for about the same price.

Not sure what to tell you, just check the prices.

Best,

E

Comment

Thanks Erik,
                    Claritycap has MR & CMR in 400v & 630v, some on sale some not, so the choices are wide! The rap on the CMR is it won't benefit very much from a parallel cap, but I bet the .68uf audyn copper I have sitting here won't hurt a 4.7 CMR, and might sound better than the MR/Audyn combo. A 400v CMR is priced between a 630v MR & CMR.
                    But the Jupiter VT is still within spitting distance of the CMR price. But only Tony Gee is voting for it....

Murf

Comment

Wow, I'm really glad that my hearing isn't discerning enough to tell the differences when caps of the same value but from different manufacturers are used in a x-over. That's probably saved me a lot of money
                      Brian Steele
                      www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Brian,
                        Thank Dog for small favors.
                        I always thought trying to get good sound out of a car stereo was a fools mission, but to each his own....

Murf Click image for larger version

Name:	TM (458).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	659.1 KB
ID:	1321572

Comment

Originally posted by littlebear
                          Hi Eric, Funny, I have Audyn TrueCopper .68uf caps which I was going to parallel in the tweet to get to 5.5uf. A 4.7uf MR is fairly cheap, is right on your borderline of being too small to matter, but .68uf is too small to parallel with anything to get me to 15uf (or 14.9uf). I think I'll knock the Mundorf s/o off my list. Some folks say it's ****, but too many say Mundorf are over rated. Murf
                          I don't lnow anyone that has used the silver/oil mundotfs in an xover that has not really liked them. I have never heard them called over rated in 30 years of building speakers.
                          craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post
                            I don't lnow anyone that has used the silver/oil mundotfs in an xover that has not really liked them. I have never heard them called over rated in 30 years of building speakers.
                            "...I agree that I also feel the Mundorf silver stuff unnatural...."

Comment

If you already have the Audyn, go that route! I thought you were about to shell out $60 for one new.

Best,

E

Comment

And what would 4.7uf would pair best with that little 0.68uf Audyn Copper? The CMR or the Jupiter VT? Which of these two would you put the big bet on? Come on, folks!
                                Unless I hear otherwise, I think the MR is a little long in tooth.

Murf

Comment

Working...
                                X