Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CC CMR vs Jupiter VT vs Jantzen Silver, Opinions Pls?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by littlebear View Post
    And what would 4.7uf would pair best with that little 0.68uf Audyn Copper? The CMR or the Jupiter VT? Which of these two would you put the big bet on? Come on, folks!
    Unless I hear otherwise, I think the MR is a little long in tooth.

Murf
    I do think the obliggato rank equal to audyn plus and jantzen superior. My previous description more about tone. Wolf is right about the asc Poly oils as well. That said CC MR are worth the money and are my favorite high end cap. No signature of its own, just crystal clear and clean. I'd have all MRs in my crossovers if I could afford to.

Comment

Does anyone else find the Jantzen superior to be a bit soft sounding and lacking dynamics?

Comment

Originally posted by fatmarley View Post
        Does anyone else find the Jantzen superior to be a bit soft sounding and lacking dynamics?
        I prefer the Silvers to the Superiors for that reason. Most people use the Superiors as that is what Tony G says are better, but I don't agree with him here in this case.

Wu-
        I believe the Obbligato are also of the same construction technique as the Plus, Superior, and Silver; aluminum tube and double wound. I've not used them myself, but I feel they would likely be on par due to this fact. Thanks for the backup on the ASC. I really like those!!

Note- I have some CC DTAC 10uF waiting in the wings for a project down the road, as well as some other niceties....

Later,
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

"Does anyone else find the Jantzen superior to be a bit soft sounding and lacking dynamics?"

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
          I prefer the Silvers to the Superiors for that reason. Most people use the Superiors as that is what Tony G says are better, but I don't agree with him here in this case....
          Later,
          Wolf
          I have the Jantzen Silvers in now, & I do think they have a little too much "'Hi-End' flair". That's why I started this thread, to see if there is a slightly warmer, but still with max detail, cap I might want to blow a few $$ on. I'm soo flattered that Tony agrees with me!
          That said, CD mastering & recording can vary so much I sometimes think we really tune our speakers to our favorite "test" albums rather than to a room or driver or ....
          Last edited by littlebear; 03-01-2017, 08:48 PM.

Comment

You need to match the cap to the tweeter. There is no such thing as the "best" cap.
            craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Tweets are SS D2905/9900 (4.7uf)
              Mids Seas Excel M15CH-002 Nextel (15uf)

Both fairly mild drivers?

Murf

Comment

Originally posted by fatmarley View Post
                For me, the opposite...

Comment

Let me add- my reason it sounds that way to me is by comparison to the Silvers. The Silvers have more dynamic snap, and a sense of a larger space.

Later,
                  Wolf
                  "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                    Let me add- my reason it sounds that way to me is by comparison to the Silvers. The Silvers have more dynamic snap, and a sense of a larger space.

Later,
                    Wolf
                    Mine's In comparison to Mundorf Supreme, Ansar CPA, Mundorf Supreme EVO oil, Mundorf M-cap (white ones) and Mundorf Supreme Silver/Gold/Oil. Used with Monacor DT300 and Scanspeak D2604 tweeters and as coupling caps in my Onix amplifier and headphone amp.

Comment

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Sort of like pulling teeth?

Comment

I'm guessing Audyn True Silver are double wound too? Pretty sure they use metallized silver film plus silver leadouts, whereas Jantzen silver refers to the leadouts only

Comment

According to Intertechnik's website, the Audyn-Cap True-Silver are a silver-metallized polypropylene. It says also 'induction free', and bifilar wound, so -yes they are double-wound. These are made into a plastic tube construction.

Jantzen Audio's website says the Silver Z-Caps are made with a German polypropylene foil, metallized with Aluminum and Zinc, filled with Nitrogen, double-wound with silver leads, and installed in an aluminum tube. The SilverGold Z-Cap has 99% silver and 1% gold metallization, all else the same as the Silver Z-Cap. Superior-Z has Al/Zn metallization and copper leads, all else same.

The Standard Z-Cap is a single foil, same Al/Zn metallization as the Sup/Silver, filled with nitrogen, and tinned copper leads. No aluminum tube, and not double-wound.

Even the CrossCaps use the Al/Zn metallization, with 'lesser' copper leads, single foil, and no nitrogen. My beef with these is the leads are relatively flimsy.

Later,
                            Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

hi guys,
                              does you compared MR vs CMR ?
                              i'm very very intrested

Comment

Hello Audio Experts!

OP here.
                                My Brklyn Navy Yard xovers are now set, and life is good. The Jupiters are broken in, and I am very happy with them. I moved the mid/upper xover from the back of a Madisound circuit board to a plastic peg board so my values aren't screwed with!
                                So I done went with the Jupiter VT Rounds. Pretty much of a blind choice, with no Jupiter opinions here & T.G. only testing the predecessors. But he liked those. The CC CMR caps I also considered are likewise not reviewed yet by T.G., but it doesn't seem like the CC 'family sound' is as consistant as that of the Jupiter family.

Compared to the Jantzen Silvers, the VT does have less "hi-end flair", which is exactly what I wanted. They just don't sound as hot. I don't think the Jupiters lost any detail for me, but maybe the Jantzen Silvers do have an edge here. I think the Jupiters are a touch more plump, giving them great pleasantness & realness. (Just to remind folks, these control SS D2905/9900 tweets & Seas Excel M15CH-002 Nextel mids).

YMMV! Murf

Comment

Working...
                                X