Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

CC CMR vs Jupiter VT vs Jantzen Silver, Opinions Pls?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CC CMR vs Jupiter VT vs Jantzen Silver, Opinions Pls?

Hello Audio Experts!
    Now I'm running the Silver Jantzens, but would love to hear opinions on it vs the Clarity CMR vs Jupiter VT. Like, how mellow do I want to go?
    TIA! Murf

• Wushuliu
    replied
    Originally posted by carlspeak View Post
    Recappers of vintage speakers have found the xpp's to be a good value. Many vintage speakers don't have the best drivers that could use a better cap but at least getting back to original uF & ESR spec. vs a dried up aged lytic is a relief for those folks. They do serve a purpose.
    True. They do have their uses.

Leave a comment:

• carlspeak
    replied
    Originally posted by Wushuliu View Post

He recently reviewed the bennic xpp which should look familiar and is dead on with his assessment imo. Been waiting years for him to review them and independently compare to my own experience.
    Recappers of vintage speakers have found the xpp's to be a good value. Many vintage speakers don't have the best drivers that could use a better cap but at least getting back to original uF & ESR spec. vs a dried up aged lytic is a relief for those folks. They do serve a purpose.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Wushuliu View Post

He recently reviewed the bennic xpp which should look familiar and is dead on with his assessment imo. Been waiting years for him to review them and independently compare to my own experience.
    *Nods head in agreement*
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Wushuliu
    replied
    Originally posted by carlspeak View Post
    The law of diminishing returns is never so evident as in all things audio. Even crossover parts. Remember, Gee's ratings are the result of his anecdotal recollections of totally subjective listening tests conducted over an extended period. He knows what he's testing so therein lies the basic flaw in his methodology. No impartiality. About 8 yrs ago I ran a correlation between his scores and caps' VDC ratings. There was a positive trend upward in Gee's scores as VDC ratings increased. Caps with higher VDC specs are generally larger and more expensive. Isn't more always better? :-)

Leave a comment:

• carlspeak
    replied
    The law of diminishing returns is never so evident as in all things audio. Even crossover parts. Remember, Gee's ratings are the result of his anecdotal recollections of totally subjective listening tests conducted over an extended period. He knows what he's testing so therein lies the basic flaw in his methodology. No impartiality. About 8 yrs ago I ran a correlation between his scores and caps' VDC ratings. There was a positive trend upward in Gee's scores as VDC ratings increased. Caps with higher VDC specs are generally larger and more expensive. Isn't more always better? :-)

Leave a comment:

• bill poster
    replied
    CMR is using metallized film, right? Is it cheaper than the new Jantzen foil?

Leave a comment:

• fatmarley
    replied
    Review of Clarity Cap CMR now on Humblehomemadehifi

Leave a comment:

• littlebear
    replied
    Originally posted by Audion View Post
    The most expensive ones always sound better.

Shawn
    Ain't it the truth!! But I didn't say better, you did.... The CMR is almost as costly.
    Like, I'm getting a new car soon, want to get a Prius & do the right thing, but don't know if it will satisfy like my BMWs.

"Plump?"

Phatt? (Are you trying to be difficult, djg? ;-0 )

Throw me a bone, folks! Did I set the xover parts out nicely? Is it pretty?

Murf
    Last edited by littlebear; 04-25-2017, 05:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    Plump?

Leave a comment:

• Audion
    replied
    The most expensive ones always sound better.

Shawn

Click image for larger version

Name:	reaction_obama_pointing.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	1329128

Leave a comment:

• littlebear
    replied
    Hello Audio Experts!

OP here.
    My Brklyn Navy Yard xovers are now set, and life is good. The Jupiters are broken in, and I am very happy with them. I moved the mid/upper xover from the back of a Madisound circuit board to a plastic peg board so my values aren't screwed with!
    So I done went with the Jupiter VT Rounds. Pretty much of a blind choice, with no Jupiter opinions here & T.G. only testing the predecessors. But he liked those. The CC CMR caps I also considered are likewise not reviewed yet by T.G., but it doesn't seem like the CC 'family sound' is as consistant as that of the Jupiter family.

Compared to the Jantzen Silvers, the VT does have less "hi-end flair", which is exactly what I wanted. They just don't sound as hot. I don't think the Jupiters lost any detail for me, but maybe the Jantzen Silvers do have an edge here. I think the Jupiters are a touch more plump, giving them great pleasantness & realness. (Just to remind folks, these control SS D2905/9900 tweets & Seas Excel M15CH-002 Nextel mids).

YMMV! Murf

Leave a comment:

• Audio4me
    replied
    hi guys,
    does you compared MR vs CMR ?
    i'm very very intrested

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    According to Intertechnik's website, the Audyn-Cap True-Silver are a silver-metallized polypropylene. It says also 'induction free', and bifilar wound, so -yes they are double-wound. These are made into a plastic tube construction.

Jantzen Audio's website says the Silver Z-Caps are made with a German polypropylene foil, metallized with Aluminum and Zinc, filled with Nitrogen, double-wound with silver leads, and installed in an aluminum tube. The SilverGold Z-Cap has 99% silver and 1% gold metallization, all else the same as the Silver Z-Cap. Superior-Z has Al/Zn metallization and copper leads, all else same.

The Standard Z-Cap is a single foil, same Al/Zn metallization as the Sup/Silver, filled with nitrogen, and tinned copper leads. No aluminum tube, and not double-wound.

Even the CrossCaps use the Al/Zn metallization, with 'lesser' copper leads, single foil, and no nitrogen. My beef with these is the leads are relatively flimsy.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• bill poster
    replied
    I'm guessing Audyn True Silver are double wound too? Pretty sure they use metallized silver film plus silver leadouts, whereas Jantzen silver refers to the leadouts only

Leave a comment:

Working...
X