C-Note MT Bookshelf Speaker Kit Pair & Other kits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Alex,

Thanks for sharing! Nice, clean crossover build. I like the underneath soldering to leave the top looking clean and professional.

I think I will soon modify mine with some polyfill, as I am almost sure I forgot to add when I first finished mine. Will remove the woofer and add a small amount to see the results.I feel that a bit of polyfill will make them sound a little bass-y-er, bringing them a bit closer to the sound of my Amiga towers. I am using these speakers as rear surrounds anyways so they do not need to be very loud. They do the job very well so far!

Comment

• Part 4 - Final Product:

I'm sorry for the pictures that are flipped, I don't know why the editor uploads them that way...

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan Steeves View Post
        Hey Alex,

Thanks for sharing! Nice, clean crossover build. I like the underneath soldering to leave the top looking clean and professional.

I think I will soon modify mine with some polyfill, as I am almost sure I forgot to add when I first finished mine. Will remove the woofer and add a small amount to see the results.I feel that a bit of polyfill will make them sound a little bass-y-er, bringing them a bit closer to the sound of my Amiga towers. I am using these speakers as rear surrounds anyways so they do not need to be very loud. They do the job very well so far!
        Thanks for your reply Evan, I have a pound of polyfill sitting in my garage so I'll be looking forward for your comments if you ever add it to yours

Comment

• If any of you were to change the little 5" woofer for another one more powerful w/o needing to change anything else what would you choose?

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexRivera View Post
            If any of you were to change the little 5" woofer for another one more powerful w/o needing to change anything else what would you choose?

Since each woofer would have different sound parameters, in almost every case, I believe a crossover adjustment would be required to make it work. For the price, these little speakers work very well. Haven't tested max volume but they play plenty loud for me...are you sure you are feeding them enough power?

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan Steeves View Post

Since each woofer would have different sound parameters, in almost every case, I believe a crossover adjustment would be required to make it work. For the price, these little speakers work very well. Haven't tested max volume but they play plenty loud for me...are you sure you are feeding them enough power?
              Well is not the best power source, I'm using a little Yamaha TSR-5790BL which supposedly will provide 80 Watts RMS @ 8 ohms and yes they are fairly loud since the SPL I had read is 94-97 dB but I can hear some noise in the woofer cones, most likely due to over excursion.

Anyway my question was more around a different set of speakers, since I'm not a seasoned designer I was just trying to get ideas on what to do, I got myself a little CNC what can certainly be used in any kind of bookshelf speakers, so I want to play and create weir looking speakers and probably those experimental spiral shaped ones so I'm looking for already tested woofer/tweeter/crossover combinations that may work for the purpose, I totally understand that speaker design is much more than just that and the enclosure itself can change the whole performance of already proven and successful designs but I think is safer to start with those than from scratch.

Comment

Well is not the best power source, I'm using a little Yamaha TSR-5790BL which supposedly will provide 80 Watts RMS @ 8 ohms and yes they are fairly loud since the SPL I had read is 94-97 dB but I can hear some noise in the woofer cones, most likely due to over excursion.

Anyway my question was more around a different set of speakers, since I'm not a seasoned designer I was just trying to get ideas on what to do, I got myself a little CNC what can certainly be used in any kind of bookshelf speakers, so I want to play and create weir looking speakers and probably those experimental spiral shaped ones so I'm looking for already tested woofer/tweeter/crossover combinations that may work for the purpose, I totally understand that speaker design is much more than just that and the enclosure itself can change the whole performance of already proven and successful designs but I think is safer to start with those than from scratch.

Cool! I lurk on the forums and watch other people experiment and build varying designs (a lot of Jeff Bagby and Paul Carmody designs floating around too) and then choose one that fits my need/usage and build it. You'll find people on here are very helpful when it comes to learning and experimenting, something I have not experienced at this level on any other forum! I would try looking throught the 'Speaker Project Gallery' section of the forum to see what builds are going on, what builds have been done and results of the builds.

Comment

• Don't forget the sticky at the top of the list that links to existing designs as well. Some of the links are broken but many work.

Comment

• Originally posted by skatz View Post
                    Don't forget the sticky at the top of the list that links to existing designs as well. Some of the links are broken but many work.

^good call!

Comment

• I decided to build a pair of these for computer speakers with my son, but now it says PE is out of stock on these for another 3 months! Is there any chance they get them back before 8/22 ?

Is there a consensus on the 0.22 uF capacitor in parallel with the series coil on the woofer? Sounds like there is no downside, but it may also not be noticeable as well. What a tremendous value these are, heck, I'd buy them at that price with just the front baffles and not full enclosures (hint hint Parts express).
                      -Dan
                      Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

Comment

• The best way to test if the. 22 uF cap works (by ear) would be to disconnect the tweeter and listen to just the woofer with and without the cap on the circuit. Likely, without the cap, it will sound more "hissy."
                        Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                        Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

If any of you were to change the little 5" woofer for another one more powerful w/o needing to change anything else what would you choose?

You can't really change only the woofer without needing to change other things. If you want something that handles more power or gets louder, I would look at other designs or you'll need to start learning how to design yourself so you can pick what you want.
                          -Kerry

www.pursuitofperfectsound.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Navy Guy
                            You can't really change only the woofer without needing to change other things. If you want something that handles more power or gets louder, I would look at other designs or you'll need to start learning how to design yourself so you can pick what you want.
                            Thanks Navy Guy, I understand and next month will work on my own project and see how it goes, I'll definitely be asking for help soon. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Obviously there would almost for sure need to be some changes to crossover, as no woofer would have the same identical sensitivity, AND, High end roll off and impedance etc., BUT.....

Sounds like a great idea for a step up model. ....a 6.5" Big brother to the C-Note......."Buck Fifty"?

Comment

• Originally posted by kevintomb
                                Obviously there would almost for sure need to be some changes to crossover, as no woofer would have the same identical sensitivity, AND, High end roll off and impedance etc., BUT..... Sounds like a great idea for a step up model. ....a 6.5" Big brother to the C-Note......."Buck Fifty"?
                                I'm in for the "buck fifty" whenever they come to the market . Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X