No announcement yet.

C-Note MT Bookshelf Speaker Kit Pair & Other kits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm genuinely curious about this speaker.
    Has anyone compared this to anything thats non DIY and commercially available ? Kef bookshelf ?
    Last edited by emmettbrown; 11-07-2017, 03:42 PM.

Comment

• I haven't built this speaker, but the reviews are very good, especially considering the price. In Australia, even counting shipping - very expensive - these would be about A$220: the cheapest KEF speaker here is about A$500 per pair and to my ears they don't sound that good.

Apart from appearance, and you could get a kind cabinet maker to make and finish the cabinets for you, a well sorted DIY design will outperform a commercial speaker at the same price point, at least, in the Australian market where mark ups and shipping are relatively high. 'Budget' commercial speakers such as the Pioneer Andrew Jones series are about twice the price here as in the US.

Of course there is a hidden cost in DIY: your labour, but if you regard it as a hobby, your time is free

Geoff

Comment

• I have A/B my C-notes against some Klipsch R-15m. The C-notes put out higher SPL than the klipsch at a given volume setting. I felt the mids were cleaner and there wasn't the bass bump in the bottom end. My friend who was listening with me commented that the klipsch had "more bass". But to me they sounded boomy and not as clean.(the klipsch).

Comment

• Thanks for the feedback Geoff & Waltzilla.

Waltzilla, did you do the capacitor mod to your crossovers ? Do you find the sound fatiguing at all ?

Comment

• I did use the cap mod. I figured the cost was negligible and it was my first kit build. I don't find them fatigueing at all. With that said, I witnessed enough 70's arena rock and dive bar bands with 100 watt Marshall heads that my hearing is probably suspect. 😉

Comment

• Comment

• Thanks for the feedback Waltzilla.

Comment

• Has anyone found the break up of the aluminium mid bass driver to be an "issue" with the standard crossover ?

Comment

• Originally posted by emmettbrown View Post
                    Has anyone found the break up of the aluminium mid bass driver to be an "issue" with the standard crossover ?

No audible difference to me.

Here is the effect of the 0.22 uF capacitor
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	C-notes crossover standard.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	624.5 KB
ID:	1352668

Click image for larger version

Name:	C-notes crossover with 0.22 uF cap.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	623.3 KB
ID:	1352669

Last edited by ceiol; 11-11-2017, 11:12 AM.

Comment

• Thank you Ceiol.

Comment

• Finally assembled mine last night and I am very, very impressed. Chris_Perez should take a bow!

The MDF cabinets are weighty, solid, and highly precise: up to PartsExpress/Denovo's usual excellent standards. The PDF instructions and YouTube video are a new high for PE.

Detail and neutrality are unheard-of at this price. While PE has chosen not to market them as studio monitors, these are studio monitors. They compare very favorably with the JBL LSR305s, with the only difference being that the LSR305s have fuller-sounding bass. In fact, bass is the only thing that puzzled me a bit about these. The claimed 43hz extension may be accurate but it still sounds rather thin on the low end. For recreational listening (as opposed to studio work) I'd say they borderline "need" a subwoofer.

When paired with a subwoofer, particularly when the C-Notes can be high-passed at 60 or 80hz, wow. With a subwoofer or two handling low-end duties they really shine! My wife and I thought they were clearly superior to our KEF Q100s.

Deciding between the C-Notes and the Overnight Sensations present a very interesting choice to buyers. The Overnights have that fat bass sound and more "fun" without a subwoofer for many types of music. I would call the Overnight Sensations the ultimate $130 party speakers, whereas the C-Notes deliver a truly neutral audiophile (or studio) sound.

Question for those that have built the C-Notes: Those woofers are fairy heavy; yet the woofers offer only four small screw holes. Did you do anything extra to secure the screws? I was thinking about adding a dab of wood glue or that threadlocker stuff. But maybe I'm being paranoid.

Comment

Working...
                        X