C-Note MT Bookshelf Speaker Kit Pair & Other kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JBou View Post
    I have read that the cabinets for this kit could use extra bracing or possibly the addition of some sound absorption material on the walls of the cabinet.
    In my opinion no extra bracing is needed.

They are quite hefty 1/2" MDF cabinets, and these speakers (85dB/watt, 60 watts RMS power handling... pretty modest) have some nice bass extension but aren't exactly going to rattle your teeth or anything. The result is that the cabinets remain pretty inert for me even when they're being driven pretty hard.

Adding a little bit of sound absorption material is pretty standard practice. I used a few compressed handfuls of acoustic foam (polyfill, basically). Sonic Barrier's fine too. You don't need to cover every single internal wall or anything... experiment to see what amount works best for you.

Really love my C-Notes btw. Think you'll love them.

Comment

• I assembled mine with a simple added brace (a 1" dowel) side-to-side, and mattress-topper foam glued to all inside surfaces except the baffle... cost nothing, may/may not have added value but I'd do it that way again if I built another pair.

Ed Henderson

Comment

• Thanks for the responses!

I think I'll skip the bracing with this build as it's my first.  I still might play with the sound absorption material.

Hopefully I'll be starting this weekend!

Thanks again,

Jim

Comment

• I am back to listening to my C-Notes after a two year hiatus. Also building speakers after a break of 1 year. The C-Note replaced my DIY Fusion 8, which replaced my DIY Tang Band bamboo paper in a Target container (sounds great) for the bedroom. I am back to enjoying the C-Notes. I first build them when they came out with the notch filter. Upper mids are sweet.

Comment

• I recently started listening to my C-Notes as well again; moved them into my office.

I had almost forgotten how great they are.

This was actually my first time listening to them for extended periods in a nearfield setup; previous usage was in my den. I'm happy to say they really shine nearfield as well. In fact that's probably their best usage, although that's not to say they're bad otherwise.

Every now and then I remember they were only $100 and I just have to laugh. =)

Comment

• JohnBooty I've also been really happy with nearfield - they're serving as my office speakers at work and have been very pleasing. It's a real pity I can't turn them up TOO loud though.

Comment

• After reading this thread, I thought "why not" and went to order some. They are out of stock until late April. Then I figured that I would just build some from parts and make my own cabinets. The woofers are out of stock til late April. The tweeters are out of stock until June!

Comment

• It'll be interesting to see whether any of the long-rumored C-Note variations (MTM? Center?) also make the scene once components arrive.

Ed Henderson

Comment

• Awesome thread- Was thinkng of ordering 4 pairs for my theater- Price is insane

Comment

• Hi good day. I am trying to build a DIY speaker. I am in doubt between Overnight Sensation or the C-Note.
                      In case of opting for C-Note, I would like to include Dayton Audio WF60PA 60W.
                      How much influence on the internal volume of the speaker the WF-60PA ?.
                      Is the bass response modified?
                      Regards, Jose.

Comment

• Well, IF the amp is enclosed in a box (as per the cab dimensions PDF link shows), then you'd have to add about 0.05cf to THAT speaker to compensate.
                        If, however; the amp is "open back" (as all the pics on PE's site shows), then you can probably ignore that. (I think the O.S. is only about 0.15cf internal?)

Comment

• Okay. Thank you very much for the reply.
                          It had occurred to me to extend the depth of the speakers and make a double bottom, respecting the original internal measurements.
                          In one place the amplifier, that way it would not occupy the internal volume of the speaker and also have both the same external appearance.

Comment

• hey all, having a bit of an issue with my cnotes

put them all together, was listening to them, and thought they sounded a bit bright, wanted to see if this was normal, getting a bit of a HF rise around 6.5k, i've double and triple checked my crossover to ensure it's accurate, can't figure out what is wrong.

the good news, it's wrong on both speakers, so whatever i may have done, consistently did it

Attached Files

Comment

• verified now across 3 individual speakers, the exact same freq response on all 3....

here is one of them with each speaker individually disconnected on subsequent responses showing the crossover appears to be in order

Attached Files

Comment

• Can you share a picture of your x-o?
                                John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Working...
                                X