X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thekorvers
    started a topic C-Note MT Bookshelf Speaker Kit Pair & Other kits

C-Note MT Bookshelf Speaker Kit Pair & Other kits

Did anyone see this kit? Looks like a very good deal and a great way to introduce someone to this great hobby of ours. The frequency response looks pretty good (don't know how much smoothing is applied):

http://www.parts-express.com/c-note-...ets--300-7140#!

There are a few other interesting kits and items as well:

http://www.parts-express.com/promo/n...gn=email021317

• emmettbrown
    replied
    Thank you Ceiol.

Leave a comment:

• ceiol
    replied

Originally posted by emmettbrown View Post
    Has anyone found the break up of the aluminium mid bass driver to be an "issue" with the standard crossover ?

No audible difference to me.

Here is the effect of the 0.22 uF capacitor
    Click image for larger version

Name:	C-notes crossover standard.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	624.5 KB
ID:	1352668

Click image for larger version

Name:	C-notes crossover with 0.22 uF cap.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	623.3 KB
ID:	1352669

Last edited by ceiol; 11-11-2017, 11:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• emmettbrown
    replied
    Has anyone found the break up of the aluminium mid bass driver to be an "issue" with the standard crossover ?

Leave a comment:

• emmettbrown
    replied
    Thanks for the feedback Waltzilla.

Leave a comment:

• Waltzilla
    replied
    The extra cap is on the bottom between the resistor and large coil. Floor samples work well for small circuit boards.

Leave a comment:

• Waltzilla
    replied
    I did use the cap mod. I figured the cost was negligible and it was my first kit build. I don't find them fatigueing at all. With that said, I witnessed enough 70's arena rock and dive bar bands with 100 watt Marshall heads that my hearing is probably suspect. 😉

Leave a comment:

• emmettbrown
    replied
    Thanks for the feedback Geoff & Waltzilla.

Waltzilla, did you do the capacitor mod to your crossovers ? Do you find the sound fatiguing at all ?

Leave a comment:

• Waltzilla
    replied
    I have A/B my C-notes against some Klipsch R-15m. The C-notes put out higher SPL than the klipsch at a given volume setting. I felt the mids were cleaner and there wasn't the bass bump in the bottom end. My friend who was listening with me commented that the klipsch had "more bass". But to me they sounded boomy and not as clean.(the klipsch).

Leave a comment:

• Geoff Millar
    replied
    I haven't built this speaker, but the reviews are very good, especially considering the price. In Australia, even counting shipping - very expensive - these would be about A$220: the cheapest KEF speaker here is about A$500 per pair and to my ears they don't sound that good.

Apart from appearance, and you could get a kind cabinet maker to make and finish the cabinets for you, a well sorted DIY design will outperform a commercial speaker at the same price point, at least, in the Australian market where mark ups and shipping are relatively high. 'Budget' commercial speakers such as the Pioneer Andrew Jones series are about twice the price here as in the US.

Of course there is a hidden cost in DIY: your labour, but if you regard it as a hobby, your time is free

Geoff

Leave a comment:

• emmettbrown
    replied
    I'm genuinely curious about this speaker.
    Has anyone compared this to anything thats non DIY and commercially available ? Kef bookshelf ?
    Last edited by emmettbrown; 11-07-2017, 03:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• scottvalentin
    replied
    I don't think a $100 kit is where you need to shell out the extra money for special caps. The extra money could be used for a kit with better drivers or to upgrade your front end (DAC, source, amp, etc.) when such caps really make a difference. Just where I would put my money before I would spend it on capacitors.

Leave a comment:

• needHifi
    replied
    I would like to upgrade the crossover caps to ClarityCap or Mundorf, but the 5.1uF value is not available. Would using 4.7uF change the response significantly, or should I do 4.7uF and .47uF in parallel to equal 5.17uF?

Leave a comment:

• Chris_Perez
    replied
    Originally posted by kenrhodes View Post
    Anyone mounted the WF60PA in one of these yet? how did you mount the IR sensor and led's?

Hey Ken,

I mounted one in my pair at home. For the IR sensor I started by drilling an 1/8" deep recess in the front panel with a 7/8" spade bit (perfect fit for the IR window).Then I used a 5/8" spade bit and drilled the rest of the way through the front panel. For the sensor module I just used hot glue to hold it in place in the 5/8" hole and then pretty much coated the back in hot glue to ensure a good seal. The baffle is just thick enough that the IR window will mount flush without touching the LED or sensor. Then glue the window in place, I used 4 tiny dabs of hot glue.

When I designed the enclosure I made sure the the port was high enough that the amp will just fit in the back while leaving enough room for the crossover to mount on the bottom panel of the enclosure. You want the amp as close to the port flange as possible. The WF60PA is pretty much a perfect match for the C-Notes.

-Chris P

Leave a comment:

• kenrhodes
    replied
    Anyone mounted the WF60PA in one of these yet? how did you mount the IR sensor and led's?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X