X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thekorvers
    started a topic C-Note MT Bookshelf Speaker Kit Pair & Other kits

C-Note MT Bookshelf Speaker Kit Pair & Other kits

Did anyone see this kit? Looks like a very good deal and a great way to introduce someone to this great hobby of ours. The frequency response looks pretty good (don't know how much smoothing is applied):

http://www.parts-express.com/c-note-...ets--300-7140#!

There are a few other interesting kits and items as well:

http://www.parts-express.com/promo/n...gn=email021317

• JBou
    replied
    Thanks for the responses!

I think I'll skip the bracing with this build as it's my first.* I still might play with the sound absorption material.

Hopefully I'll be starting this weekend!

Thanks again,

Jim

Leave a comment:

• ejh2854
    replied
    I assembled mine with a simple added brace (a 1" dowel) side-to-side, and mattress-topper foam glued to all inside surfaces except the baffle... cost nothing, may/may not have added value but I'd do it that way again if I built another pair.

Leave a comment:

• JohnBooty
    replied
    Originally posted by JBou View Post
    I have read that the cabinets for this kit could use extra bracing or possibly the addition of some sound absorption material on the walls of the cabinet.
    In my opinion no extra bracing is needed.

They are quite hefty 1/2" MDF cabinets, and these speakers (85dB/watt, 60 watts RMS power handling... pretty modest) have some nice bass extension but aren't exactly going to rattle your teeth or anything. The result is that the cabinets remain pretty inert for me even when they're being driven pretty hard.

Adding a little bit of sound absorption material is pretty standard practice. I used a few compressed handfuls of acoustic foam (polyfill, basically). Sonic Barrier's fine too. You don't need to cover every single internal wall or anything... experiment to see what amount works best for you.

Really love my C-Notes btw. Think you'll love them.

Leave a comment:

• a4eaudio
    replied
    I haven't seen any posts that I recall that particularly addressed those issues, but:
    • Lining a ported box as you suggest is the typical approach;
    • I have not seen anyone adding additional bracing. I am building a pair and am not adding anything. Adding some simple dowels across the inside walls would be easier than the window-brace. However, adding the window brace can't really hurt and isn't going to affect volume that much - plus using a router and making a pretty window-brace is much more fun if you are a woodworker.

Leave a comment:

• Millstonemike
    replied
    Originally posted by JBou View Post
    C-Note speaker kit.*

Here are the details of the two approaches I was considering:

For the sound absorption materials,I already have this from parts express: Sonic Barrier 1/2" Acoustic Sound Damping Foam with PSA 18" x 24". I was considering placing it on all surfaces but the front baffle. Is this a correct approach? Yes, perfect.

For the bracing, I was considering doing a window type rectangular cut-out parallel to the top and bottom in between the two drivers, about 1" to 1 1/2" wide made from 1/4" MDF. Note that I have the woodworking tools and skills needed for this including a router to route out the channel for the brace. Yes, plywood may be better choice for a brace - a circle cut out in each the panels 4 quadrants.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• JBou
    replied

Hello, I recently purchased the C-Note speaker kit. This is my first build and I know very little about speaker design, so please bear with me!
    I have a few questions before I begin the build. I skimmed through the thread but didn't see any posts fully addressing my questions.

I have read that the cabinets for this kit could use extra bracing or possibly the addition of some sound absorption material on the walls of the cabinet.

I am considering doing one of these.My main question is, is it worth the effort to do this?

My concern is that the addition of bracing or the addition of the sound absorption material will appreciably alter the internal volume of the cabinet, such that it will have a detrimental effect on the sound quality. Is this a valid concern? Actually, is the sound absorption material "transparent" to volume consumption or does it "change" the apparent volume that the driver sees?

Here are the details of the two approaches I was considering:

For the sound absorption materials,I already have this from parts express: Sonic Barrier 1/2" Acoustic Sound Damping Foam with PSA 18" x 24". I was considering placing it on all surfaces but the front baffle. Is this a correct approach?

For the bracing, I was considering doing a window type rectangular cut-out parallel to the top and bottom in between the two drivers, about 1" to 1 1/2" wide made from 1/4" MDF. Note that I have the woodworking tools and skills needed for this including a router to route out the channel for the brace.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• ejh2854
    replied
    umm... "Wow", you have got to be kidding me for a hundred bucks.

Just got the xo's done today, couldn't resist throwing the drivers in with a couple of screws each just to get an idea of what the fuss was about... I built these to replace the Quarks in my office, and as much as I like the Quarks these are a substantial increase in muscle. Running them on a Dayton DTA-2.1BT (https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...pply--300-3830 with the same Anarchy TH, more than enough juice to be 'waay louder than I'll ever listen in here. I see why you guys have been raving about these boxes.

Leave a comment:

• Swerve City
    replied
    Made my crossovers today. I also used the 3x5 circuit board and did all my soldering joints underneath.

Leave a comment:

• flyinglotus1983
    replied
    Finally got my C-Notes built and hooked them up today. At first it was just one speaker because the second one still had glue drying. Was pretty disappointed in the lack of bass and it didn't sound spectacular in any way at the time. I was seriousness considering logging in here and firing off an email about how disappointed I was.

So then, after the second one was done and I plugged it in, situated the speakers just so, and put on some testing music... Holy crap. These things image like crazy. It's holographic pinpoint, and it doesn't even break a sweat doing this. Considering that this is the first set of speakers I've owned that do this, I'm impressed. They're not perfect by any means. But I do see what all the fuss is about.

Leave a comment:

• ronk
    replied
    Listened to my c note aafter playing with my tabaq. Nice sound from. C note and more bass than tabaq.

happy 2018 c note i wners.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff F.
    replied
    Anybody interested in the C-notes for $90, use coupon code KIRBYTEN at checkout through 12-31-17.

Leave a comment:

• ejh2854
    replied
    Ordered the kit on the 27th, and it's already here... not bad, PE! The box looks like UPS simply kicked it here (NC) from Ohio, but everything's intact.

Looks like a meaningful-step-up from the Quarks currently running in the office- not that there was any complaint as it was.

Leave a comment:

• Swerve City
    replied
    I got a C-Note kit for Christmas. I'm very excited to start building. I'm trying to go cheap, but already filled an $80ish cart to finish them off.

Leave a comment:

• mmbone4
    replied
    sounds like its worth a try at least...thanks Chris! Happy New Years Guys!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X