Evaluation of Statement Monitors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evaluation of Statement Monitors?

I am intrigued by the Statement Monitors. Who has built this project and what is your evaluation and end result? I want to try a build using the Fountek Ribbon tweeter and the size of this unit is appropriate in my space. Also I see that the Statement II and the Finalists have switched mid range units away from the Tang Band W4. Is this because of overly metallic sound with this Tang Band unit?

I still prefer the TB W4 to the NE123. I have heard both.
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I've been reworking the Mini-Statements with a Vifa 123w-4 mid. I prefer the Vifa mid by a wide margin.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
      "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
      SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
      My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Wolf have you heard the Statement monitors as I have not had the opportunity to do so?

Comment

Jim and I have built:
          Statement mini's
          Statement monitors
          Finalist's

Our preference by a small margin is the Finalist.

Comment

Can you give any specifics as to why you preferred the Finalist? As I have never heard any of these or the ribbon tweeters I am trying to narrow down my choices before I spend the big bucks.

Comment

I've used a couple of the NE series drivers, including the NE123 as a mid. I think they are some of the best drivers I've heard. I don't think I've heard the TB, but I wouldn't hesititate to chose the NE over it any day if given the choice.
              -Kerry

Comment

Ive heard both, and have to give the nod to the NE driver as well.
                Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

I have heard the Monitors as well.
                  Wolf
                  "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Originally posted by audioparts View Post
                    Can you give any specifics as to why you preferred the Finalist? As I have never heard any of these or the ribbon tweeters I am trying to narrow down my choices before I spend the big bucks.
                    All three "checked all the right boxes"
                    Tried to listen holistically and treble differences didn't jump out.
                    Resolution on all 3 was outstanding.
                    But the Finalist was a hair more 3D and didn't not slightly enter in the clinical area.
                    The bigger Statement mini's are great, the monitors weren't exactly warm and inviting. But don't think I didn't like them - the monitors are very well engineered.

Comment

Thanks Ontario for your comments. I am sure the "sound" question is what most of us have when we don't have the opportunity to listen to a diy speaker in advance. This is when the customer ratings on the web sites become very important. I am like everyone else I'm sure in looking for the most bang for the buck. I am looking for high definition with sound accuracy and great imaging in a smaller 3 way or better yet a 2 way design bookshelf. At the moment I am very frustrated in trying to select a model from the numerous designs that are available. I have built previously the Blues kit for my brother and the Overnight sensations for myself and I like both but now want to try something more advanced. Any recommendations from anyone are appreciated here.

Comment

Here is my recommendation. Get to a diy event. You will get the opportunity to hear dozens of top notch designs, which may make your decision harder actually. Where are you located?
                        https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Paul Carmody's Carrera is definitely one option.
                          I believe my Stances also do what you are looking for, though may not extend deep enough depending on your needs.
                          My Nephila could be built into a bookshelf, but it'd be about 30 ltrs. They imaged very well.

I would agree with OM that the Mini-Statements are better than the Monitors, but this is mainly due to the extra woofage capabilities. I've heard the Finalists twice in 2 different implementations by the same builder. I much preferred his second floor-standing unit over the initial bookshelf. It's been awhile since I've heard the Minis to say whether I like one better than the other though.

Later,
                          Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

I have a pair of Statement Monitors that I built, but I haven't heard enough other stuff back to back to really comment. In my house, (and it's possibly a placement issue) it goes from sounding just decent at lower volumes, but when I push it up to (I'm guessing) 75 dB+, it seems to turn into amazing. I've built 4-5 designs, but the rest have all been bookshelf speakers and decidedly more towards the value end of the spectrum.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I have got the bug to build some more DIY speakers:

I am looking to replace a 20 year old pair of Paradigm mini monitors which have been good speakers but now just don't seem to have the mid range definition that I am looking for. To me they are somewhat "tubby" and restricted sounding in the bass and mid range. I am using them with a Paradigm powered sub at 60Hz crossover. I am looking for a great bookshelf size replacement for these. The Statement Monitors appeal to me because the size 22H x 10.5W x 12D would fit perfectly into my HT setup and are as large as I could handle there. I am also interested in the sound of the ribbons vs alum domes even though I have never heard ribbons. Advice on this is welcome.

I would love to attend a big DIY event but I am located in central Missouri and am not aware of any local diy events that I could attend. If you know of anything around Kansas City please advise.

Comment

Working...
                              X