Dampening Material Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dampening Material Question

Hello! I am building a pair of floor standing towers and was wondering what would be the way to go as far as dampening the inside of the cabinets? They are 42"H X 9"W X 14" D
    I see that P.E. carries Sonic Barrier and was thinking about lining the sides and back with this. Maybe using egg-crate foam and acoustic stuff or fiberglass. I was also told to use No-Rez sheets, but would be very costly to cover these cabinets! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Emile

I'd probably stagger about 4 dowel braces between the 2 largest panels, from side-to-side. Then line the internal walls w/convoluted foam if vented. If closed, stuff w/polyfill (or fiberglass).

Comment

You can use foam, type 700 glass or polyester batts to line the cab. Foam need not be convoluted. In fact, flat foam works better, because the air spaces in convoluted foam doesn't do any damping. Acoustic foam is convoluted not because it works better, but because it looks like it will work better. Ported cabs should not be stuffed, but tall ported cabinets that could have pipe resonance should use at least 2 full inches of damping on the top and bottom to suppress standing wave development.
      This should be all spelled out in the plans for the cabs you're building.
      www.billfitzmaurice.com
      www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Even though it is acceptable to say "dampening" it is a bit redundant because one only needs to say damping. Don't need no stinkin dampenenenenening!

Comment

Originally posted by View Post
          Even though it is acceptable to say "dampening" it is a bit redundant because one only needs to say damping. Don't need no stinkin dampenenenenening!
          You're all wet on this... I was educated as an engineer to use damping as the correct term as well. I have about given up on making the point since so many use dampening now.

Comment

Damping is the material. Damping and dampening can both be used to describe what it does. damp∑en
            ˈdampən/
            verb
            verb: dampen; 3rd person present: dampens; past tense: dampened; past participle: dampened; gerund or present participle: dampening
            www.billfitzmaurice.com
            www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

I knew before I clicked this one it would be re-directed about the choice of words, and would start it.
              Electronics engineer, woofer enthusiast, and musician.
              Wogg Music

Comment

....and I figured Wolfy would finish it... 😀
                A mains
                The Ventures
                Open Invit8tions
                RSR
                Sound Troopers
                Acorns
                DGBG's
                The Monuments

Comment

... oh and Roxul FTW!!
                  A mains
                  The Ventures
                  Open Invit8tions
                  RSR
                  Sound Troopers
                  Acorns
                  DGBG's
                  The Monuments

Comment

Ultratouch Denim Insulation is very good for lining cabinet too. You can get 1.8" thick rolls on-line from Home Depot. I buy a 6 roll package and it works out to about $1 a square foot which is cheaper than foam and it doesn't itch like fiberglass. I cut it with scissors and attach it with double stick carpet tape.

Ron
                    C-Note Iron Driver Build
                    The Lydias
                    The Cherry π's
                    The Champs - Iron Driver 2015 Entry
                    My Projects Page

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil deGrasse Tyson
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjuGCJJUGsg

Comment

I'll agree on the denim. One thing about denim, it's like trying to work with dryer lint; it gives off a lot of fine dust.
                      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...khanspires-but
                      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...pico-neo-build
                      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ensation-build

Comment

Originally posted by fdieck View Post

You're all wet on this... I was educated as an engineer to use damping as the correct term as well. I have about given up on making the point since so many use dampening now.
                        I never use " dampening," so I'm always high and dry!

Comment

Well, I'm damped if I do, and damped if I don't!
                          Last edited by ; 03-02-2017, 09:19 PM.

Comment

For a new project I just started, I've been testing (measuring) a couple of different damping materials to see what effects the different materials have on the FR of my driver in cabinet and if there are any major differences between them. So far I've tested Roxul (Safe N Sound), Eco Core (a denim based product) and good ole Dacron. I have others that I haven't measured yet and may not get to in the near future. Since the Roxul is 3" thick, I'm also measuring 3" worth of the other materials.

To sum up what I've seen so far, the effects aren't as dramatic visually as I'd hoped they'd be. All 3 materials knock a bit of the midbass out, to similar degrees, as compared to no damping. All 3 also tame some peakiness in the mid band, particularly from 800hz to 1000hz in these cabinets. I'm hoping that in the end I can tame even more of the midband peakiness.

Since the current speaker is a work in progress (just barely) I can't really say what effect this all has on the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                              I'd probably stagger about 4 dowel braces between the 2 largest panels, from side-to-side. Then line the internal walls w/convoluted foam if vented. If closed, stuff w/polyfill (or fiberglass).
                              Thanks Chris! I have some 2" acoustic wedge foam. Would this be OK or should I use the 1" egg-crate foam?

Comment

Working...
                              X