OT High school play with live orchestra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT High school play with live orchestra

Went to see " Spamalot " at my daughters almamater tonight. She was involved in the theatre programs when she was in H.S. Sat in the second row and
    ​was truly impressed by both the play and the orchestra. The musicians ranged in age guessing 70's to teens. Very cool to hear live at that level.

Hey Mike, glad you got to enjoy that experience. It's cliche, but there is nothing like being there live and being in the same space as the musicians / actors. We have been attending my daughter's school orchestra concerts outside of Philly, dragging various grandparents along. All have enjoyed these much. The orchestra is drawn from two local (and affiliated) schools, and supplemented with professionals from Curtis school of music. But we continue to be impressed with a particular french horn player

Comment

When someone asks my opinion about which speakers to buy, I always tell them to go buy tickets to an orchestra first. Nothing like the experience of live music of an orchestra, and it's waaay different than going to see Social Distortion or Nine Inch Nails live.
      Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
      ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
      LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
      Sonata Soundbar Project
      The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

Originally posted by jclin4 View Post
        Hey Mike, glad you got to enjoy that experience. It's cliche, but there is nothing like being there live and being in the same space as the musicians / actors. We have been attending my daughter's school orchestra concerts outside of Philly, dragging various grandparents along. All have enjoyed these much. The orchestra is drawn from two local (and affiliated) schools, and supplemented with professionals from Curtis school of music. But we continue to be impressed with a particular french horn player
        Hi John, is your daughter living in PA. or NJ. I think there were a few pro musicians about 50/50 and the youngsters definitely impressed. As I was listening I kept
        thinking about reference to sound reproduction devices.

Comment

Ignoring the type of music played in your examples, the primary reason going to listen to a symphony orchestra is far, far better, is because you're hearing the sound from their instruments without anything other than the venue's acoustics affecting that sound, instead of hearing sound coming out of speakers with who knows how much signal manipulation is going on in the electronic chain in front of those speakers. When people say the popular music played on their home audio system sounds just like what they heard at a "live" concert, all their doing is comparing the sound of one set of electronics and speakers to another set of electronics and speakers. And, how many times do those "live" performers of popular music simply lip sync to a sound track?
          Paul

Originally posted by hongrn View Post
          When someone asks my opinion about which speakers to buy, I always tell them to go buy tickets to an orchestra first. Nothing like the experience of live music of an orchestra, and it's waaay different than going to see Social Distortion or Nine Inch Nails live.

Comment

My granddaughter is playing flute in a pit band along with some pro musicians and a couple of other H.S. classmates who are also very good musicians for her H.S. senior class play. Very proud of her.
            Live in Southern N.E.? check out the CT Audio Society web site.

Comment

Originally posted by hongrn View Post
              Great advice, Hong! And it reflects the reason that I rarely listen to orchestral music - thus far, I've yet to hear a recording that can even come close to a live orchestral performance.

GeeDeeEmm

Comment

Working...
              X